Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,223,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
But they did cut taxes. The stimulus package contained largest tax break in US history.
Absolute nonsense. Tax rate reductions, amounting to $13/week.

I thought the Bush tax CUTS were the largest in history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,415,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
No they don't...not technically! Let's not spin it or parse words.

Every Corporation and/or business will add the cost of whatever tax the government extracts to the price of their service/product and pass that plus the cost of overhead/accounting/legal that the record keeping costs them to the next level(s) necessary to complete their service/product and the final accumulative costs of this tax collection is paid for by the end consumer.

It would be far less expensive for the end consumer if these Corporations and businesses paid absolutely no taxes with the cost of paying those taxes added at each level. This includes suppliers that provide parts/services, etc., to products and other services (gotta buy tools, protective gear, vehicles, etc., etc.,) Just take one product you use and go back up the line and realize that every single business and/or Corporation that is involved somehow to produce what you end up with will have added all as stated above and some will have added other incurred costs. Mind boggling, isn't it?
I understand that, I'm not opposed to that.But the businesses create the jobs, it's not good to give them too many burdens.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM

85 posts, read 82,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
No.
The corporate tax in the USA = 35%.It's the second largest in the developed world (Japan is first = 40%, but they want to cut it).
It's just too high, most of economists say it

not sure what you are agueing

yes we have the 2nd highest corporate taxes(35%)...but corporations get that money to pay that tax from somewhere, and that would be the consumer...we pay their taxes, based on marked up prices

Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,087,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
exactly

the price of product xyz is based on cost to produce to include employees, and property taxes, electric bill, and the corporate taxes

do they really think it costs $20 to produce a 10" table saw blade...nope that's the retail price which include ALL markups to include taxes for ALL steps of the process
Exactly, and as I stated above...there are almost always several different businesses contributing to the end retail product, so the consumer pays all their costs plus profit for each one including paying the cost of their taxes.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I understand that, I'm not opposed to that.But the businesses create the jobs, it's not good to give them too many burdens.
Quote:
Exactly, and as I stated above...there are almost always several different businesses contributing to the end retail product, so the consumer pays all their costs plus profit for each one including paying the cost of their taxes.

yes that's why getting rid of the corporate tax (and the income tax) and going to a fair-tax would be the best. prices will even come down on products

if fact studies show the government would make more money with the fairtax

Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,087,198 times
Quote:
yes that's why getting rid of the corporate tax (and the income tax) and going to a fair-tax would be the best. prices will even come down on products

if fact studies show the government would make more money with the fairtax
True. But I prefer national sales tax because we have no control over how much the government takes out of our income...but we do have control over how much of our income we spend, thus we can much more easily control our expenditures to stay within our means. Personally, I want to be in total/100% control of any income I earn.

Plus I believe even more revenue would be generated, since the sales tax would capture all $'s spent, including those illegal and hidden income.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,415,376 times
Quote:
True. But I prefer national sales tax because we have no control over how much the government takes out of our income...but we do have control over how much of our income we spend, thus we can much more easily control our expenditures to stay within our means.

Plus I believe even more revenue would be generated, since the sales tax would capture all $'s spent, including those illegal and hidden income.
I'm agree

Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
True. But I prefer national sales tax because we have no control over how much the government takes out of our income...but we do have control over how much of our income we spend, thus we can much more easily control our expenditures to stay within our means. Personally, I want to be in total/100% control of any income I earn.

the fair-tax..is a national consumption (sales) tax

www.fairtax.org

here is the site, please look

Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,815,770 times
Any job gain, during a month, that is less than the number of jobs that need to be gained to keep up with population growth, is really not positive job growth, but only “nominal” growth. Population growth acts as “inflation’ to the job market. It has to be adjusted for population growth or it’s somewhat meaningless. Just as, for example, if your boss told you that you were going to get a 5% increase in pay this year. However, if inflation is running 8% a year, then your pay is actually decreasing by 3% in REAL (adjusted for inflation) dollars. The same is true for job growth. Job growth must be adjusted against population growth in order to measure if we are in recovery or still losing ground. Right now we are still losing ground but at a much slower pace than previously. In other words, we have gone from the free fall of gravity, 32 ft/s², to around 2 ft/s². In other words, instead of nose diving we are now gliding down as a result of the stimulus.

One must remember that what goes up must come down. In order to descend one must first ascend. So if people are looking for those to blame, blame those responsible for the nations rise because if it had not risen then it could not have fallen.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 08-04-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 AM

76,959 posts, read 48,154,196 times
Quote:
no they didnt CUT taxes...they did NOTHING to the rate...it was a temporary tax CREDIT...and it was not the largest
It was the largest tax break in US history. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies