Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think better of people who own American cars versus foreign cars?
Yes 14 15.22%
No 78 84.78%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:06 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times

Advertisements

Your poll is hilarious! I drive an "American" nameplate. The engine is from China, the transmission is from Japan, and the vehicle was assembled in Canada. Is that more American than the Korean, Japanese or German nameplates built in Alabama or Tennessee or Mississippi or Georgia? Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
My hunch is that most Americans don't think much about this issue, but I'd like to get some feedback. Thanks.

makes no different to me, I have owned both over the years

Old 07-18-2010, 07:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Your poll is hilarious! I drive an "American" nameplate. The engine is from China, the transmission is from Japan, and the vehicle was assembled in Canada. Is that more American than the Korean, Japanese or German nameplates built in Alabama or Tennessee or Mississippi or Georgia? Sheesh!
To you and to those who ridicule me for asking the question, you need to keep in mind that there's more to a car than the parts and assembly. There's the design, engineering, marketing, administration, etc.

I'm not regimented in my thinking on this subject, but I do believe that a lot of folks are short-sighted in the way they view these things.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:15 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
My hunch is that most Americans don't think much about this issue, but I'd like to get some feedback. Thanks.

Nope.

I look for the cars that have plants in the US. That is it. The brand does not matter, but I do not buy cars made outside of the US.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't care what people drive although I drive a Japanese car myself. And to be honest, the only people I know with domestic cars at the moment are folks who needed a cheap beater.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
No doubt I care about it. I will always drive an American car and so will my family.
How much of your car(s) is made or manufactured in another country?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
We're a two-car family. Two Hondas; and we will always be that way. Both of our Hondas were assembled in Ohio and the majority of the parts in both cars came from the United States or Canada. I can live with that. 200,000 miles on the Accord and all we've replaced are brakes and tires. I can also live with that.

There is no such thing as "American-made." Hell, there has not been for a long time. Does it get more "American" than the Ford Mustang?

Well...

Mustang vs. Camry | cleveland.com

Quote:

When you think of iconic American cars, the Ford Mustang must be at or near the top of the list.

But when it comes to being made in America, the Mustang, assembled in Flat Rock, Mich., ranks below a number of other brands, including the top-selling Toyota Camry.

The 6-cylinder engine that goes into the so-called "secretary's special" is made at a Ford plant in Cologne, Germany.

Meanwhile, you can thank Mexican workers for the manual transmissions used with either Mustang engine. But if you want the automatic 5-speed, well, they're made in France.
While the first Honda Accords assembled in Marysville some 25 years ago were basically kits shipped in from Japan, Honda of America now gets most of its parts from U.S.-based suppliers, spokesman Ed Miller said.

The Accord engines come from the Honda plant in nearby Anna, while the transmissions are assembled in Russells Point.

It's not surprising that Ford would turn to Europe and Mexico for help with the low-volume Mustang. Its plants in Germany and France have been around for nearly a century, said Miami University professor Jim Rubenstein, who teaches a course called geography of the auto industry. "It's just a matter of deploying your worldwide resources as best as possible."
A Ford Mustang (some models), arguably the most "American" car, is made in (gasp!) France! I guess you should start riding a Schwinn. Oh, that's right, they are no longer "American" either...

Quote:
On September 11, 2001, Schwinn Company, its assets, and the rights to the brand, together with that of the GT Bicycle, was purchased at a bankruptcy auction by Pacific Cycle, a company previously known for mass-market brands owned by Wind Point Partners.In 2004 Pacific Cycle was, in turn, acquired by Dorel Industries. Pacific and Dorel produced a series of low-cost bicycles built in Taiwan and the People's Republic of China, which were badged with the Schwinn nameplate and sold in large retail stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, and Costco. A second line of higher-level Schwinn-branded bicycles was also introduced for specialty bicycle shop retailers.
I guess you should just walk if you really want to travel the "American" way. Just make sure your shoes were made in America. Good luck with that.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Again, there's more to a car than the assembly process. I don't understand why some people have trouble comprehending this. I guess it's a way for them to rationalize their foreign car purchases.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Again, there's more to a car than the assembly process. I don't understand why some people have trouble comprehending this. I guess it's a way for them to rationalize their foreign car purchases.
Cause that's where the jobs are. Not a handful of jobs, not indirect jobs (although there are a ton of those), direct labor and managerial jobs, jobs that help create and fuel a boom for whichever area they're in.

As james carville once hung his sign:
1. Change vs. more of the same
2. It's the economy stupid
3. Don't forget health care

So far 2/3 ain't bad.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I don't have to rationalize my foreign car purchase. Hondas are just far and away better than any domestic car I have EVER owned l so I'd feel stupid buying anything else. I'm a smart consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies