Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:07 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,245,403 times

Advertisements

WatermelonRat, you do know there are many semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that were designed specifically for hunting and don't look like the scary black military rifles, don't you? Would you ban those as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM

18,348 posts, read 26,656,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
No, I am in favor of the ban because they have no legitimate use. I support the right to own a firearm (I actually own a rifle I use for target shooting). I am fully supportive of the right to own rifles and shotguns for hunting and sport shooting and the right to own hand guns for self defense, but I cannot support allowing the ownership of military grade assault rifles. They simply serve no legitimate purpose for a civillian (aside from "dude, check out my new AR-15, I'm so badass!). They aren't designed for sport or defense, they're designed to kill people as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Sport and self-defense are not the only reasons for the Second Amendment. American civilians are entitled to own the common arm of the soldier, though the semi-auto arms in question are in fact neutered versions so to speak. Furthermore, there is no need to justify the ownership of an arm; under strict scrutiny as all fundamental rights are treated, the government needs to prove a very strong case for any regulation. There is no case for restricting them, especially none that would pass strict scrutiny.

BTW: my hunting guns are more powerful and effective at longer ranges than my weapon shooting the weaker 7.62X39 round.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,366,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I can't wait to take my Tank squirrel hunting.
Why would you want to do that?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM

29,978 posts, read 15,048,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The biggest reason the ak is popular is that the ammo is dirt cheap and the gun is cheap. It's perfect for "shooting" even though it's not accurate. Unless you reload shooting any other caliber gets really expensive. Most of the import guns have cheap ammo compared to anything you can buy sold in Walmart.
7.62x39 is not dirt cheap around here, nor is it abundant (MI) it is starting to get better though. I'm thinking the Obama gun ban scare is starting to fade. The guns themselves are pretty cheap , depending on variants. Here you can get a WASR AK-47 at Dunhams sporting goods when they run a weekend sale for $359.99.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,370,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The AWB had nothing to do with emotions or reason and everything to do with controlling the masses by disarming the law abiding of the most effective urban weapon available to citizens.
BS

Not worth getting into....

Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 AM

18,348 posts, read 26,656,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
7.62x39 is not dirt cheap around here, nor is it abundant (MI) it is starting to get better though. I'm thinking the Obama gun ban scare is starting to fade. The guns themselves are pretty cheap , depending on variants. Here you can get a WASR AK-47 at Dunhams sporting goods when they run a weekend sale for $359.99.
With mailorder bulk russian made ammo is somewhat cheap, especially compared to something like my mauser, winchester 1894, etc.

I've tended to prefer the SKS with a fixed 20 round magazine (not the detachable junk being made today) and stripper clips over the AK and carrying heavy/bulky detachable mags.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 AM

412 posts, read 406,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
WatermelonRat, you do know there are many semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that were designed specifically for hunting and don't look like the scary black military rifles, don't you? Would you ban those as well?
Nope, can't say I would. My definition of "Assault Weapon" is probably a bit narrower than the original ban. As I said, the vast majority of firearms I have no problem with, but some guns are just too powerful and military oriented. Right now, putting a new type of assault weapon ban up isn't a huge priority for me, but I still think that there should be a limit on these sorts of weapons.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 AM

78,860 posts, read 46,945,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
A semi automatic is a semi automatic, yet liberals love to ban "assault weapons" because of how they look. They look like the military versions. so ban them according to libs, despite funtionally, they are semi autos just like any semi auto hunting style rifle. banning something merely because of how it looks?

An assault rifle is fully automatic. A machine gun.

A AR-15 and AK-47 are single shot per single pull, just like any other gun allowed to be in citizens hands.

Guns don't kill. The people without self control, ill parenting and no gun safety education, are the ones that kill other humans.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,245,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
Nope, can't say I would. My definition of "Assault Weapon" is probably a bit narrower than the original ban. As I said, the vast majority of firearms I have no problem with, but some guns are just too powerful and military oriented. Right now, putting a new type of assault weapon ban up isn't a huge priority for me, but I still think that there should be a limit on these sorts of weapons.
Ok, gotcha. Yeah, my definition of "assault weapon" is considerably narrower as the original ban seemed to focus on many things that were appearance oriented rather than functional. I've also yet to see a good definition of "assault weapon" any way...I guess if I bashed someone on the head with a rock then that would be an "assault rock"...
I guess I'm always unclear what people mean when they say "these sorts of weapons"...as I've found most people who say that are. Not saying that applies to you, just an observation.

I do have hunting rifles that are far more powerful than most any military sidearm or rifle...more range, more knockdown power and more accurate than anything in the arsenal short of military sniper rifles. Most big game rifles are stronger than what most people would call an assault weapon...

Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,366,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Ok, gotcha. Yeah, my definition of "assault weapon" is considerably narrower as the original ban seemed to focus on many things that were appearance oriented rather than functional. I've also yet to see a good definition of "assault weapon" any way...I guess if I bashed someone on the head with a rock then that would be an "assault rock"...
I guess I'm always unclear what people mean when they say "these sorts of weapons"...as I've found most people who say that are. Not saying that applies to you, just an observation.

I do have hunting rifles that are far more powerful than most any military sidearm or rifle...more range, more knockdown power and more accurate than anything in the arsenal short of military sniper rifles. Most big game rifles are stronger than what most people would call an assault weapon...
But can you do this with your hunting rifle?

YouTube - Specnaz - weapon switch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies