Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 PM

8,650 posts, read 17,325,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Which is based on the "right to keep and bear arms". And yet, you prefer that the rights be surrendered upon entering government buildings. But, one is to be [preemptively] seen as a criminal depending on where they are, and should check their rights out at the entrance.
You can't take a fifth of Jack Daniel's into a federal building and sit down and drink it either, but the last I heard we could still buy Jack Daniel's..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 PM

31,767 posts, read 29,009,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You can't take a fifth of Jack Daniel's into a federal building and sit down and drink it either, but the last I heard we could still buy Jack Daniel's..
Its amusing that you would draw a parallel between consuming alcohol and the right to keep and bear arms. It will help if you also pointed at the specific right being violated... we're discussing second amendment here, last I checked.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:44 PM

30,532 posts, read 19,052,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I will agree that the AK is popular, but the ammo is not dirt cheap, nor is the gun. It may be more economical than the AR variants but it's not cheap.

And not accurate? I can put a 6" group @ 125 yds. w/ iron sights. That's pretty damn accurate.

1. A 6" group at 100 yards is pretty bad
2. A Romanian AK sells on gunbroker for about $475, which is pretty damn cheap compared to an AR-15. Even a bolt action Remington 700 is $650. Depending on the maker, ar -15 is $1000-$2,000 (Les Baer with all the bells and whistles).
3. AK ammo is cheap. One can still buy cases of very cheap Wolf 7.62 ammo. We have three thousand round cases in the wooden crates after the break up of the USSR that were purchased for $120 per case. An AK can shoot crap ammo without any problem, unlike decent guns.
4. No self respecting shooter will shoot an AK, as it is a piece of crap. We have three of these and four SKS rifles that we bought for $120 and $45 respectively about 25 years ago. They have very loose tolerances, therefore they do not jam (see M1 carbine and M1 garand). Unlike a carbine and a Garand, an AK is inaccurate. One can see barrel wobble when viewed from the side. It is a POS.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,917,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
A semi automatic is a semi automatic, yet liberals love to ban "assault weapons" because of how they look. They look like the military versions. so ban them according to libs, despite funtionally, they are semi autos just like any semi auto hunting style rifle. banning something merely because of how it looks?
I support your right to have an AK15 or a Street Sweeper however I cannot see allowing people to carry them in public on the street. Only handguns should be allowed to be carried in public.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 PM

54,523 posts, read 34,027,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
A semi automatic is a semi automatic, yet liberals love to ban "assault weapons" because of how they look. They look like the military versions. so ban them according to libs, despite funtionally, they are semi autos just like any semi auto hunting style rifle. banning something merely because of how it looks?
A lot of those politicians, who have probably never even held a firearm in their life, seem to think that banning what they call "assault weapons" just because they look like military weapons will cut down on crime. They don't seem to realize that the problem is mainly with weapons sold illegally on the black market, not at the nearest Cabela's or local gun stores. When was the last time a criminal followed strict laws and regulations on semi-automatic, or any kind of weapons?

Also, if those anti-gun politicians get their wish, which I know they won't, I can see them going after other types of fireamrs as well, including bolt action hunting or target rifles.

November is getting near, it's time for a real "Change" in Washington, DC.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,096,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Thanks. And no, delicate work it will do. The AK is more for up close & personal (100 yds in) type of demo, not construction type jobs.

My 6.8 LWRC or FN SCAR will be used for those "delicate" jobs.
mmmm 6.8mm mmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. A 6" group at 100 yards is pretty bad
2. A Romanian AK sells on gunbroker for about $475, which is pretty damn cheap compared to an AR-15. Even a bolt action Remington 700 is $650. Depending on the maker, ar -15 is $1000-$2,000 (Les Baer with all the bells and whistles).
3. AK ammo is cheap. One can still buy cases of very cheap Wolf 7.62 ammo. We have three thousand round cases in the wooden crates after the break up of the USSR that were purchased for $120 per case. An AK can shoot crap ammo without any problem, unlike decent guns.
4. No self respecting shooter will shoot an AK, as it is a piece of crap. We have three of these and four SKS rifles that we bought for $120 and $45 respectively about 25 years ago. They have very loose tolerances, therefore they do not jam (see M1 carbine and M1 garand). Unlike a carbine and a Garand, an AK is inaccurate. One can see barrel wobble when viewed from the side. It is a POS.
a 6' grouping at 100 yards is good for an AK47. as for the AK being a piece of crap, i will dispute you on this. yes it has loose tolerances, but then it was designed with poor battlefield conditions in mind. these rifles were designed to be easy to maintain, and go bang when you pull the trigger. as one former marine weapons instructor pointed out, with the AK47 he could take the average recruit and teach them all the ins and outs of the AK47 in about three hours, where as with the M16 it would take him more like 40 hours. both weapons are excellent for what they were designed to do, the AK was designed to be inexpensive and solidly reliable. the M16 was designed to be accurate out to 800 yards, and put a lot of rounds down range, and be light enough for daily carry in the jungle. the M16 is far more complex than the AK, and even eugene stoner, the designer of the M16, has high praise for the AK47.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,144,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
An AK-74 is no slouch. AR like accuracy with AK reliability, for only 10 cents/round. Also AKs are chambered in .223/5.56, such as an Arsenal SLR-106
I like the Arsenal, but if I'm buying an AK variant, I want the 7.62!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:06 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,144,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Time to repeal NFA34. A short barelled 12ga with a 10 round clip would make a very effective home defensive weapon. A 12" over and under 16 ga is actually concealable.

Oh, FWIW , do the gungrabbers consider the K-98 Mauser Rifle or carbine to be "assault rifles" or "dangerous military firearms?"
Really? An AA-12 is all you need. 32 round drum of 00-buck! Too easy drill sargent!

That's what I want!

YouTube - AA-12. World's deadliest shotgun!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,395,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
4. No self respecting shooter will shoot an AK, as it is a piece of crap.
Tell that to the arfcom members who have killed several Taliban in theatre and prefer them over their ARs.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,395,361 times
Anyone who thinks AKs are a POS should take the matter up with Sonny Puzikas, former Spetsnaz operative. It's the most versatile weapon and the accuracy surpasses the needs of standard battlefield conditions. It only has a bad reputation because it's the "bad guys gun" and it's fired by morons who can't aim worth a diddly.

YouTube - Systema - AK 47
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies