Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 10:06 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Ending slavery was a move to the left. Giving women the right to vote was a move to the left. Based on your previous statement, I can only assume you don't believe those were good ideas.
Excuse me, please do not assume you know what I believe. Actually Lincoln was a republican. Ending slavery was not a move to the left. It was the right move.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:48 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,820 times
The Negro Project
Margaret Sanger's Eugenic Plan for Black Americans

Here is a project the Feminist, Liberals and Democrats should be proud of.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:24 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
You need to take a breather on that statemnet alung. Lincoln was a Republican. Might I further remind you that it was not Republicans that stood in the courthouse door and in the school doors during the civil rights movement. Fascinating how "progressives" take credit for things they not only didn't have a damn thing to do with but were actually opposed. For a statement like that Lester Maddox, famous Mississippi guvna of the day would have whooped yo butt wit an axe handle. The only thing the eletist left ever did to help minorities was to bait them with hype to get their votes. If you ask them they will tell you right on. Liberals have played them for stupid until the *** is just about up. Increasingly the educated blacks are rising to the fore in the conservative movement and distinguishing themselves. They are catching on to who really enslaved them.
Your writing is not so bad either KAINTUCK. Great post!

Old 06-23-2007, 12:36 PM

626 posts, read 992,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Excuse me, please do not assume you know what I believe. Actually Lincoln was a republican. Ending slavery was not a move to the left. It was the right move.
First of all the Republican party has not always been the extreme right-wing party it is today. Just because he had the Republican label in the 1860s does not mean he would have the Republican label today. The Republican party used to be quite liberal for it's time. The conservative movement is quite recent.

Freeing the slaves WAS a move to the left. It's simply a move to the left with which you agree. Do you hold the "left" in such contempt that you cannot admit that some of it's principles have some merit?

Old 06-23-2007, 12:39 PM

626 posts, read 992,956 times
Quote:
You need to take a breather on that statemnet alung. Lincoln was a Republican. Might I further remind you that it was not Republicans that stood in the courthouse door and in the school doors during the civil rights movement. Fascinating how "progressives" take credit for things they not only didn't have a damn thing to do with but were actually opposed. For a statement like that Lester Maddox, famous Mississippi guvna of the day would have whooped yo butt wit an axe handle. The only thing the eletist left ever did to help minorities was to bait them with hype to get their votes. If you ask them they will tell you right on. Liberals have played them for stupid until the *** is just about up. Increasingly the educated blacks are rising to the fore in the conservative movement and distinguishing themselves. They are catching on to who really enslaved them.
And at the time, the Republican party was quite liberal, compared to today. As I said in my previous post, this conservative movement in the Republican party is quite recent.

Rich white men were the slave owners. Do you dispute this?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:40 PM

345 posts, read 203,549 times
For cryin out loud A...L., How the dickens does rich white men of those days translate to Democrats or Republicans? The fact is undeniable that Democrats are race baiters that pander to any minority that will fall for it that they are going to give them some sort of special treatment...and they would...to the reverse discrimination of us all. Fact is they don't give a rat's pattuty about anything but power. You hear the same rhetoric for 40 years and both politcal parties are plain and simple pandering liars. However, when I cast a vote I am just opposite of most people I hear when they say," I vote for the man". Bull..it! If you have a brain in your head you vote for the philosophy of right versus wrong. It may just be that the Ahole you got was just as bad as the one you didn't. However, you met your just obligation to society and to yourself. The conservative movement is not recent. The only thing really different is the conservatives have been empowered by the voice of conservative radio and FOX news, -this is a recent phenom. Thank goodness for that. I grew up with Walter Cronkite spouting liberal junk since I was a boy. Ain't no boy now. Sure as hell ain't no gullable liberalite.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:44 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
For a statement like that Lester Maddox, famous Mississippi guvna of the day would have whooped yo butt wit an axe handle. .

You might at least make an attempt at some degree of truth.

Lester Maddox was 'guvna' of Georgia.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:46 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Quote:
I don’t want to interrupt this debate, but I have to correct you on one thing. Lester “pea brain” Maddox was the governor of the great state of Georgia.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:57 PM

345 posts, read 203,549 times
Well...well...well...Hello Burdell. O.K. so it's been awhile, so I fergot he was one of Jimmy's brethren from the great state of Georgia. I see you didn't challenge the great truths of the rest of my post. Thought you was gonna quit talkin to me Burdell? You learned anything since the last time we spoke?

Old 06-23-2007, 06:10 PM

451 posts, read 835,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
The Negro Project
Margaret Sanger's Eugenic Plan for Black Americans

Here is a project the Feminist, Liberals and Democrats should be proud of.
Shhhh you are not suposed to talk about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.