Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Isn't that a propaganda piece funded by our government and paid for to be on a government tv station?

Who is running the show in the government again?
Oooh, private industry is on the up & up.
Don't watch PBS much do you?
It's all underwritten by private industry.

Love canal never happened, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would think they would cement in well casings near the gas sources to prevent gas from leaking into the ground water along the outside of the casing. Maybe to save well development costs they left out this step.

Methane, like any other gas, dissolves in water in proportion to pressure. If the methane seeps along the casing and is dissolved in the ground water it would likely come out of solution when the tap is opened. If my sink provided fizzy water I would se if it was methane by trying to light it. If it burned I would talk to the gas company about supplying some less flammable water.

From what I viewed and understood from the HOB movie the cement casings wouldn’t help in this type of “fracking” and drilling for gas. They use water and over 500 different chemicals to do the fracking that cause the rock formations to splinter and release more gas, they don’t want the casing at these depths of drilling. The used water and chemicals leak into the nearby water table and thus the problem with this type of drilling for gas.

It’s not only the gas getting into the water table it’s the chemicals the gas industry puts into the well with other water that causes most of the health issues.

Greed and profit over safety and health.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
After seeing the internet clip I was interested and able to watch the full video on HBO last night. I couldn’t believe that the gas drilling corporations and the method of drilling would be allowed to continue their practices of fracking. As the HBO documentary pointed out Dick Cheney was able to change the rules for clean water and exempting the gas industry from the clean water act.

This was an eye opener documentary and changed my entire view of moving to more gas energy in the nation. It appears that some of the posts have a view that this is propaganda. The websites that they provide to “debunk” the method of drilling are simply owned and operated by the very corporations that want to keep the practice going. The gas corporations appear to be just as bad as the oil industry, anything for profit!

It appears that anything Dick Cheney had his hands in and the industries that he is associated with are simply destroying the nation. Criminal actions need to be taken against these people. However once again the oil and gas industries are too powerful. Simply disgusting!

you are wrong on so many levels...the link below is NOT owned and operated by Oil and Gas Corperations...obviously, you either didn't read or chose ignorance...i'm willing to bet the latter. try again.

GasLand Debunked...again.
DEBUNKING GasLand THE MOVIE (http://www.jlcny.org/site/index.php/news/latest-news-articles/192?limitstart=0 - broken link)

The Joint Landowner's Coalition of New York
About Us (http://www.jlcny.org/site/index.php/aboutus - broken link)

-"The Joint Landowner's Coalition of New York was started in the Fall of 2008 with a conversation between the steering committee members of the Central Broome Landowner's Association and members of Cornell Cooperative Extension.
The concept behind it's creation was to bring together all the various groups that were forming for education and land protections. On Janary 17 the JLC incorporated as a 501c 6 a non-for-profit corporation. The Joint Landowners Coalition of New York Inc. (jlcny) has grown to represent 17 counties and 37+ coalitions. Estimated numbers of households are currently over 20,000 representing approximately 70,000 people and over 800,000 acres throughout New York's Southern Tier.
Cornell Cooperative Extension has allowed us to use their Binghamton facility and has assisted in procuring educational speakers on topics such as water, pipelines, soils, drilling processes, natural gas industry history, state DEC regulations, etc.
The JLC of NY is continuing to grow and expand. We anticipate a need for this type of entity far into the future, as the industry comes in, grows, changes, and expands. We will be there for the landowner as long as we are needed.
Need information on natural gas drilling? Not sure what that lease you received means? Is a landman knocking at your door? Want to protect your land and water? Then you've come to the right place. The Joint Landowner's Coalition of New York inc is here to direct you to a group near you.
Coalitions of like-minded landowners, both big and small, have united to educate their members, secure a fair price for leasing their minerals, and protect their land and their rights. Be sure to get involved, and get educated by joining a coalition near you!"

Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Greed and profit over safety and health.
take that up with the Gov't homeslice...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:40 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oooh, private industry is on the up & up.
Don't watch PBS much do you?
It's all underwritten by private industry.

Love canal never happened, either.
Can you believe the ignorance? I cannot get over the blatant denial of something that is so obviously and overtly bad and toxic. Are these people actually humanoids let loose upon society by the offending corporations to defend the corruption and destruction? I think so!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
PBS is mostly funded by individual contributers and corporations. Nice try.
In fact, 87%, to be exact. 13% from taxes.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Why not?
The usual demons of greed and destruction of course...

The Halliburton Loophole

It stripped the Environmental Protection Agency of its authority to regulate a drilling process called hydraulic fracturing. Invented by Halliburton in the 1940s, it involves injecting a mixture of water, sand and chemicals, some of them toxic, into underground rock formations to blast them open and release natural gas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/op...tue3.html?_r=1

Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
GasLand Debunked:
Energy in Depth

look, there's always two sides of every story...it helps when you have factual information, rather than mis-information trying to appeal to bleeding hearts...

and just a bit of advice...you're hunting the wrong animal by going after the Oil and Gas Companies, if you want the right target, look no further than our US Gov't, they are the common denomiator.
Yes,,, the US Gov't is the common denominator and caused the problem because they are bought and paid for by the lobbyists of the immoral gas / oil industry instead of supporting the citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
How about this link? The Joint Landowners Coalition of New York, Inc is also aggresively opposing the movie for its inaccurate portral of the industry and its practices.

DEBUNKING GasLand THE MOVIE (http://www.jlcny.org/site/index.php/news/latest-news-articles/192?limitstart=0 - broken link)

In checking those websites that supposedly debunk the GasLand documentary it appears that they are supported by the industry or those who profit from it and fail to show balance in articles and information. They simply provide an appearance of a positive one sided view without critical balance on the issue. Other stories and articles tend to provide the same view of the gas, oil, and industry. Simply nothing wrong with these industries.

When individuals view the HBO video or the PBS clip of GasLand, they have no reason to disbelieve what they see and hear coming from other citizens who have no interest other then they personally have been harmed because of the drilling methods being used. When checking the “debunking” websites it appears that they tend to profit from providing the industry view in a positive way. As far as I know they are owned and operated by the industry or individuals who profit from the propaganda being provided by the websites.

I don’t see anyone profiting from GasLand other then they got a message out about the harm that is being done by the gas industry in their drilling methods. There are websites out there that do nothing other then debunk the gas and oil industry telling us how great their business is doing and how we need them to continue to destroy the environment. The “drill baby drill” issue is dead when corporations fail in their safety of the environment and the people that are affected with health issues.

Nobody owns renewable energy wind and sun they can't even tax you on it. lol

Last edited by AksarbeN; 06-25-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 02:48 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Default This is near where I live.

Marcellus shale drilling coming to an area near you - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksarben View Post
yes,,, the us gov't is the common denominator and caused the problem because they are bought and paid for by the lobbyists of the immoral gas / oil industry instead of supporting the citizens.

glad we agree here!

i don’t see anyone profiting from gasland other then they got a message out about the harm that is being done by the gas industry in their drilling methods.

josh fox probably made a little profit, huh?? I mean, that is his business right??

nobody owns renewable energy wind and sun they can't even tax you on it. Lol

get working on that wind and sun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies