Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,816,178 times

Advertisements

Business management.

However, you brought up "average", didn't you? And you should know the difference.

You've heard Twain's take on statistics, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,243,047 times
I understand the difference, just discount the relevance.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM

So, the fact that some males die under the age of 18 isn't relevant? It is, because it brings down the "average age" you were talking about.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,529,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Interesting breakdown of political party identification by education and income levels in the chart at the bottom of this page:
Democrats Gain Edge in Party Identification - Pew Research
Why do you assume that my comment about education and income was a barb at republicans? Or that it had anything to do with Democrats or Republicans?

People who vote for either parties, which are pretty much the same, have different stance on different issues, including social programs.

Some Republicans have empathy for the poor, some don't. Same things for Democrats. There is such a thing as "gauche caviar".

It's kind of tiring nowadays how you can't even make a comment without someone interpreting it through partisan politics.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,529,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I can't say I enjoyed your post but I can't say it offended me either.
I do have a question, who is judging this society? Also, why don't we ever question the weakest members?

It's quite obvious that this society, that is being judged, is breeding weak members. That makes a weak society.
No one is here to entertain you or making sure you aren't offended. I'm not sure what you meant by your first sentence.

As for your question for who is judging this society, wouldn't you agree that most people know good from bad? That helping those in need is the right thing to do? By your logic, we should never judge genocidal countries because after all...it's their POV.

Weak people are being questioned all right. Especially since they are increasingly being treated like a class of subhumans. Calling your fellow citizens "parasites" should be an indication of that.

I don't know in what type of household you come from, but statisically, it's difficult to climb into an upper class. Some manage to do it, but most lack the opportunities and the support most of those with success had. I was raised not to judge unless I walked in another person's shoe. And since I was lucky in life, I don't judge these people, much less call them parasites.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 PM

89,696 posts, read 45,353,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'm honestly not sure if you are purposely playing dumb to obfuscate a weak position in this discussion or not. I might as well debate this with my cat.
My guess is that poster doesn't understand the math and data used to construct the actuarial tables.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Why do you assume that my comment about education and income was a barb at republicans? Or that it had anything to do with Democrats or Republicans?

People who vote for either parties, which are pretty much the same, have different stance on different issues, including social programs.
There are some pretty compelling generalities in each party's platform, no? It would be foolish to pretend otherwise.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
My guess is that poster doesn't understand the math and data used to construct the actuarial tables.
I understand that the data is faulty.

Perhaps you've heard the Twain quote about lies, d@mn lies, and statistics?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,476,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
"A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members"

You can act tough and big and say "pull yourself by your own bootstraps blah blah blah" but fact is, life is not so simple.

And before you say I'm a parasite, my wife and I both have our own businesses and we make pretty decent money. We also employ more than a dozen people. I could live pretty well working just 6 months a year and my wife would not have to work if she wanted to.

Ironic how labels like "parasites" often (not always) come from blue collar people with little education and crappy salaries. "I make 30k a year, I work hard! I pay taxes! Bow to me, mr. government!"

We're always someone's parasite.
And I didn't call you a parasite, now did I. But you help, by voting people like Obama in that allows people to be parasites. Yes, some people do need help, but most of those who mooch off of society, have no reason why they can't work, or contribute. If you are contributing, even in a small way, you are not a parasite.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I understand that the data is faulty.
How so? Other than your extremely limited anecdotal observation.

Quote:
Perhaps you've heard the Twain quote about lies, d@mn lies, and statistics?
Yes. That applies when data is manipulated to elicit a certain otherwise unfounded conclusion. The actuaries that construct the SS life expectancy tables have no reason to manipulate the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies