Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 AM

6,363 posts, read 5,115,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark. The Consol area is pretty nice, I always parked there when working Downtown. My wife is interested in the Strip area, hopefully I can keep her "medicated" for the next few years until I retire to Cranberry.
dont you own rental units in the north hills? i would be surprised youd relocate here. im thinking if you own property, you will need space for hardware and tools, paint, etc.

i imagine you are financially sound...i would jump on a condo (or two) in the strip if i were a hard core capitalist. i wish i bought in Polish Hill back in the 90s. im so old school orthodox jew, though - always preferring to part with cash instead of loading up a credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM

12,531 posts, read 17,679,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
dont you own rental units in the north hills? i would be surprised youd relocate here. im thinking if you own property, you will need space for hardware and tools, paint, etc.

i imagine you are financially sound...i would jump on a condo (or two) in the strip if i were a hard core capitalist. i wish i bought in Polish Hill back in the 90s. im so old school orthodox jew, though - always preferring to part with cash instead of loading up a credit card.
Trust me, if I were single I'd be in the mountains. And would love it if the T ran from there.

Ya can't have everything!

Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Trust me, if I were single I'd be in the mountains. And would love it if the T ran from there.

Ya can't have everything!

you might like New Homestead, the very little known city neighborhood that is, well, in the middle of nowhere, it seems. its hard to believe that is within city limits.

pittsburgh is a little weird south of the mon - there are numerous enclaves that are stunningly quiet, serene, and dare i say it, bucolic (my job has gotten me around). they are not exactly "country", but for daily life in the afternoons and evenings, they are probably quieter than say, oakland or squirrel hill. they are located in: Elliot, New Homestead, and in the far north, Summer Hill and Spring Hill.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 AM

12,531 posts, read 17,679,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
you might like New Homestead, the very little known city neighborhood that is, well, in the middle of nowhere, it seems. its hard to believe that is within city limits.

pittsburgh is a little weird south of the mon - there are numerous enclaves that are stunningly quiet, serene, and dare i say it, bucolic (my job has gotten me around). they are not exactly "country", but for daily life in the afternoons and evenings, they are probably quieter than say, oakland or squirrel hill. they are located in: Elliot, New Homestead, and in the far north, Summer Hill and Spring Hill.

I'm aware of all the areas you mentioned, none really appeal to me. My wife wants a loft-style dwelling walkable to everything. And I want to spend a night with Jennifer Lawrence. Both ain't gonna happen.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:51 PM

sewickley?

and, jennifer anistan?

Old 01-05-2014, 09:37 AM

10,240 posts, read 16,941,997 times
Quote:
Since 2000, however, the city center’s resident population has grown by 40 percent to about 9,000 people, according to the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership...Rather than being a mix of lower-income families and the very wealthy as they had been, downtown’s household incomes now fall in a more moderate range. The PDP’s 2012 data shows a notable increase in households that earn between $51,000 and $150,000. That group rose from 43 percent in 2010 to 56 percent in 2012. The survey also showed a corresponding drop in the number of downtown residents with household incomes below $50,000. About 28 percent of residents fell in that category in 2010, but only 17 percent did in 2012...The total number of criminal offenses reported downtown dropped 29 percent between 2010 and 2011, according to the PDP...
The Changing Face of Downtown Living - Pittsburgh Magazine - January 2014 - Pittsburgh, PA

Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,802,539 times
This could go in a couple of threads, but hey, let's go with this one since we haven't bumped it in a while:

River Vue apartments now fully booked - Pittsburgh Business Times

The River Vue, former state office building apartments done by Millcraft, is now fully leased. Add that to 201 Stanwix from PMC which is full as far as I know. Between them it's at least 300 units if memory serves and they didn't change the layouts too much from proposed. And that's only in the last couple years, and that's not all of the new units during that time. Plus still more units are being converted in the Clark Building and some others.

A lot more people are living in downtown than in anytime in recent memory, and it's still growing.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:35 AM

510 posts, read 912,784 times
I was at a recruitment event for graduate students at Pitt. We usually have about 10 current students to answer questions for the potential incoming students. During the Q & A the prospective students always ask, "Where are good places for students to live?" This year, for the first time, a few of the current students mentioned downtown in their usual list of Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, etc. Obviously this is just an anecdote but I found it interesting and encouraging.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:29 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,964,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
This could go in a couple of threads, but hey, let's go with this one since we haven't bumped it in a while:

River Vue apartments now fully booked - Pittsburgh Business Times

The River Vue, former state office building apartments done by Millcraft, is now fully leased. Add that to 201 Stanwix from PMC which is full as far as I know. Between them it's at least 300 units if memory serves and they didn't change the layouts too much from proposed. And that's only in the last couple years, and that's not all of the new units during that time. Plus still more units are being converted in the Clark Building and some others.

A lot more people are living in downtown than in anytime in recent memory, and it's still growing.
Greg, how many people are living downtown now do you think? I know its increasing but numerically I have no idea. How many will be there by 2020? 20000?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,950,950 times
Thought I read Downtown was just shy of 10K....Not sure if that was Downtown Proper or Greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh