Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 AM

176 posts, read 598,030 times

Advertisements

What are some of the "rougher" and (on the opposite end of the spectrum) "quieter" neighborhoods of Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,690 times
Nice and Quiet: Squirrel Hill, Morningside, Friendship, Shadyside

Rougher:Homewood, North Side, The Hill, Uptown

Rowhouse neighborhoods that are safe (in my opinion, but there are many suburbinites on this board that think if it looks urban they "need a gun"): The south side, lawerenceville.

Pittsburgh is comprised of about 90 different neighborhoods that all have their own feel and look. YOu just got to check them out.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 PM

29 posts, read 109,048 times
I grew up in Beechview and Brookline. Those neighborhoods are relatively safe and quiet. Theres the occasional problem here and there but you're likely to find that, in any neighborhood within the city. Beechview and Brookline are also real close to downtown (like 4 miles i think) so if you need to make the commute to town its pretty easy.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,955 times
Oh Jday, have you been there lately? Beechview is becoming Pittsburgh's first Mexican neighborhood. This is a nationality that has been lacking in Pittsburgh for many years and has only recently found a need to fill. So this is their first venture into the area, the first foot hold.

Do you still feel the same? Brookline used to be a City neighborhood but still family oriented. Beechview the same. Time is doing a job on the area. Light Rail repaced the trolley and has given new blood the chance to come in. Are the neighborhoods still safe?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I live in Beechview right now, and I like it a lot. The business district could use a polish, but our state and local reps are involved with the community and getting development started. I know some people at the community meetings have complained about crime and bad neighbors, and that might be true on some streets, but that hasn't been my experience at all.

There's even several neighborhood blogs:
The Beechview Blog
Pretty Up Beechview!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM

29 posts, read 109,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Oh Jday, have you been there lately? Beechview is becoming Pittsburgh's first Mexican neighborhood. This is a nationality that has been lacking in Pittsburgh for many years and has only recently found a need to fill. So this is their first venture into the area, the first foot hold.

Do you still feel the same? Brookline used to be a City neighborhood but still family oriented. Beechview the same. Time is doing a job on the area. Light Rail repaced the trolley and has given new blood the chance to come in. Are the neighborhoods still safe?
Actually, no I haven't lived there in about 6 years. I've been living in Montana because of the service. I've been back to Pittsburgh for a few weeks here and there over the years, but you know how it is when you're on vacation, everything is perfect. I am actually moving back to Pittsburgh at the end of September. I hope beechview and brookline are the same as I remember it.

Last edited by Jday; 08-27-2008 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Nice and Quiet: Squirrel Hill, Morningside, Friendship, Shadyside

Rougher:Homewood, North Side, The Hill, Uptown

Rowhouse neighborhoods that are safe (in my opinion, but there are many suburbinites on this board that think if it looks urban they "need a gun"): The south side, lawerenceville.

Pittsburgh is comprised of about 90 different neighborhoods that all have their own feel and look. YOu just got to check them out.
Here I go again. The North Side, being a HUGE area encompassing several neighborhoods, does not belong with Homewood and The Hill. For the most part, North Side is quiet, and yes, safe. Avoid Manchester (parts) and Charles Street Valley (all) and maybe Perry Hilltop (most) and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh