Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 PM

13 posts, read 29,391 times

Advertisements

My husband just found out he is going to be doing a fellowship at The University of Pittsburgh in orthopedic surgery. We are going to be moving there next summer, but I wanted to get some information and hopefully get some questions answered.
1. What are neighborhoods that we should look at that are safe and have a doable commute to the sports complex?
2. Can you find single family homes?
3. What are the going rates for a three bedroom?
4. Do you know of any realtors that could work with us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,051,173 times
I know a realtor who handles a lot of SFH rentals--in fact she helped us rent out our former residence while we were trying to sell it. If you would like her contact info, just send me a direct message.

Anyway, there are a lot SFH neighborhoods within a variety of distances of the UPMC Center for Sports Medicine (I assume that is where we are talking about) at a variety of prices. The more information you can give us on your ideal neighborhood, what you consider a reasonable commute, and approximate budget, the better. But I should warn you that the rental market in the core area is very tight, so you may have to be a little flexible about neighborhoods.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
ARe you buying or renting? What's your budget? Do you want to live in a city neighborhood or a suburban neighborhood?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,577,988 times
Pittsburgh is a nice city with plenty of good places to live, but its hard to recommend without some idea of what you are looking for (suburban vs. urban, are schools important, etc) and what your budget is. SFH rentals can be a little challenging, but is likely doable.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,926 times
Howard Hanna is the largest real estate agency in the area and has special loans for physicians. Doctors are eligible for up to 100% financing with no money down. That might make it worthwhile for you to consider purchasing a home even if you will only be in the area for a few years because you could go with an adjustable rate mortgage. I'm not supposed to advertise on the site but as you asked for a real estate agent recommendation, I would suggest that you look at my personal website, Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos There's information about me and lots of great information about Pittsburgh's neighborhoods and real estate market.

Is your husband pursuing a sub-specialty in orthopedics? I have a good friend who is a hand surgeon with UPMC.

Meryl

Last edited by Yac; 05-02-2011 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 12:39 PM

24 posts, read 88,528 times
It sounds like Squirrel Hill would be your best option. Lots of doctors living there and plenty of public transit to Oakland and the South Side sports complex. The business district has anything you need including a supermarket. It is one of the pricier neighborhoods in Pittsburgh but has a lot of variety because it’s very big. You can find everything from student type apartments to mansions. It’s a combination of urban and suburban. Family friendly. The schools are the best in Pittsburgh. Check out Pittsburghmoves.com. For examples of real estate prices.
As for the Mexican War Streets, I used to live there and wouldn’t recommend it for your purposes. Everything that westsiderkg said is true but there are some important downsides. Commuting to Oakland and the sports complex on the South Side by bus is difficult. During rush hour it can take an hour or more because the buses get held up downtown unless you use the 54c, but that’s a very long ride through Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, and Oakland. Plus the Mexican War Streets is still prone to crime, although not as much as in the past. Still, I heard gun shots way too often and was about a block away when a guy got shot to death in front of the now closed Mantanca bar on Monterrey. Someone also shot the postal worker in the hand not too long ago right on N. Taylor.
You may also want to consider the South Side. It’s more urban, somewhat pricey, with a very active nightlife and a great business district. The commute to the sports complex would be a piece of cake. However, on weekends you would have to contend with a Bourbon Street like atmosphere on East Carson. I can give you the name of a great real estate agent who specializes in Squirrel Hill if you want to contact me directly.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serum86 View Post
It sounds like Squirrel Hill would be your best option. Lots of doctors living there and plenty of public transit to Oakland and the South Side sports complex.
Unless a new route opened up recently, getting from Squirrel Hill to the South Side Sports Complex would be a miserable two-bus commute each way. Not a bad drive, though. You'd go over the Hot Metal Bridge: no tunnels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum86 View Post
Commuting to Oakland and the sports complex on the South Side by bus is difficult. During rush hour it can take an hour or more because the buses get held up downtown unless you use the 54c, but that’s a very long ride through Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, and Oakland.
The 54C is what you'd transfer to in Oakland from one of the Squirrel Hill buses you recommended upthread. Also, you wouldn't go through Lawrenceville or Bloomfield unless you got on the 54C going the wrong way.

Again, to the OP: say "no" to Squirrel Hill if you're taking the bus.

UPMC Sports Medicine

UPMC Sports Performance Complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-04-2011, 02:51 PM

24 posts, read 88,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Unless a new route opened up recently, getting from Squirrel Hill to the South Side Sports Complex would be a miserable two-bus commute each way.

You are right that there is no direct bus from Squirrel Hill to the South Side Sports Complex, but considering that there are a good number of buses from Squirrel Hill to Oakland, it wouldn't be that miserable to transfer and, like you said, the drive is easy. Considering all of the other advantages of Squirrel Hill it would probably be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
The 54C is what you'd transfer to in Oakland from one of the Squirrel Hill buses you recommended upthread. Also, you wouldn't go through Lawrenceville or Bloomfield unless you got on the 54C going the wrong way.
I was referring to the 54c trip from the North Side to the South Side, not Squirrel Hill.

Another idea would be to look somewhere in the South Hills (i.e. Brentwood, Baldwin, Carrick, Brookline, Dormont). You may be able to get a one bus trip from there to the South Side but I'm not entirely sure.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanfward View Post
My husband just found out he is going to be doing a fellowship at The University of Pittsburgh in orthopedic surgery. We are going to be moving there next summer, but I wanted to get some information and hopefully get some questions answered.
1. What are neighborhoods that we should look at that are safe and have a doable commute to the sports complex?
2. Can you find single family homes?
3. What are the going rates for a three bedroom?
4. Do you know of any realtors that could work with us?
Rent a new place in the Southside. Why deal with commuting when you can walk to work? It would be great to live there with the nice river trails and places to eat.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,542,410 times
I would imagine that he is not going to take the bus for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh