Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 14,382 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I live in Los Angeles and we are planning on buying there sometime (completely priced out of LA, and over it in general)-- I am from an hour south of the 'burgh and lived there until 2002, but am completely out of the loop in terms of up and coming neighborhoods. We love walkable areas close to shops and restuarants, diversity, parks and just overall mellow areas close to public transportation I heard that Swissvale and Regent Square are pretty good these days. Thoughts? Any advice is VERY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,102,311 times
Regent Square fits your bill, but not really Swissvale. I would not call regent square a "up and coming neighborhood" though, although it is certainly cheaper than anything comparable in Los Angeles it has appreciated quite a bit from say 10 years ago. Unless there are big changes in Pittsburgh, I'd be surprised if the neighborhood saw much appreciation/improvement going forward.

I think the "up and coming" tittle better applies to neighborhoods like Lawrenceville (which also fits all your criteria). Of course, the problem with "up and coming" neighborhoods is that they never come. Pittsburgh is cheap enough where even the more established neighborhoods are not too expensive, for example Squirrel Hill.

It should be noted that there is nothing in Pittsburgh that is going to match the walkable neighborhoods in longer cities like Los Angeles though. Usually you are looking at best a couple blocks of shops and restaurants. Pittsburgh is more like a large town, than a big city.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,184,741 times
For mellowness and walkability I advise the nicer East End neighborhoods like Regent Square, Point Breeze, and Shadyside. If you are willing to live outside of the city limits then check out Aspinwall and Dormont. Oh, and there's this neighborhood called Homewood that is just an absolute gem. You should check it out as well.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Lawrenceville is not mellow. It is a working-class neighborhood that went in the crapper in recent decades and they are trying to make it into the new South Side. I have a feeling they will succeed, but it will be about 5-10 years before it happens.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks user_id and iwonderwhy, that totally helps! How is the public transportation these days? Does it feel like more people are taking advantage of it because of the economy and the whole "going green" in general?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM

yeah, i remember the vibe of lawrensville in '02, it was totally on the cusp....sounds like it hasn't gotten there yet?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,102,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellymakeup View Post
yeah, i remember the vibe of lawrensville in '02, it was totally on the cusp....sounds like it hasn't gotten there yet?
No, but it has improved. Also, it is pretty distinct from the South Side and is in no sense trying to be "the new south side". It is trying to be the artsy area of town and to some degree has accomplished that.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellymakeup View Post
Thanks user_id and iwonderwhy, that totally helps! How is the public transportation these days? Does it feel like more people are taking advantage of it because of the economy and the whole "going green" in general?
I never take the bus, so I am not sure. My friends always ***** about how it takes them an hour to get from one neighborhood to another on the bus though. Personally, I just hop in my car and am there in five minutes. *shrug*

Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Thoughts on Brighton Heights and Bellevue? Or, the Mexican War Streets?? Thanks!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,561,380 times
I'd stay out of all three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh