Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree USC was an odd choice, but that is part of why it made sense to reinterpret it as a more general Pittsburgh post. And incidentally, playing around with Social Explorer, I'd say the core East End (Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and Point Breeze, and I'd also toss in Regent Square) ultimately stands out the most as measured by educational attainment plus current students (which is utterly unsurprising, given the concentration of universities and colleges in the East End).
Well, you can't reinterpret what the article said. Actually you can, but that's not what it said. It picked out Upper St. Clair. We don't really know why. And it was about retirement, not current students, very few of whom are retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,043,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It picked out Upper St. Clair. We don't really know why.
Actually, they describe their methodology in decent detail. Here is their general idea for this list:

Quote:
For retirees who have no desire to stop learning—and that's, like, pretty much everyone—there are plenty of American communities that boast thriving intellectual centers where cultural activities keep residents (and their brains) as busy and interested as they want to be.
So far so good ... the neighborhoods around the universities in Pittsburgh could qualify given this backdrop. But I suspect where things went a bit off is here:

Quote:
U.S. News consulted our list of more than 1,000 Best Places to Retire and came up with 10 retirement destinations that attract highly educated folks.
I looked through their list of 1000 Best Places to Retire, and it turns out that while several Pittsburgh suburbs were on the list, nothing corresponding to the East End itself did. Which makes sense, since the East End is an informal concept.

So again, here is what they said about USC:

Quote:
Upper St. Clair, Pa., is near Pittsburgh and has 29 area colleges, including Carnegie Mellon University . . . .
But we know a person can do a bit better by the stated general criteria, as well as given this specific explanation for USC, by living in the East End itself. However, the omission of the East End is explained by the lack of a corresponding entry in the original 1000 list, which in turn is explained by the East End being an informal area.

In light of all this, I personally think it makes perfect sense to use USC's presence on this list as a proxy for the East End (or in fact any other similar suburb on the original 1000 list, such as Mt Lebanon or Monroeville).

Old 06-10-2008, 01:46 PM

85 posts, read 335,758 times
Brian's explanation makes perfect sense to me. Hopefully this thread will retire now.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
I think only the mods can close a thread, unless the OP asks for it to be closed. BrianTH was not the OP. Also, not everyone agrees with his points.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-10-2008 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-10-2008, 04:47 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,159,649 times
Quote:
Brian's explanation makes perfect sense to me. Hopefully this thread will retire now.
No not really, I still have no idea how they determined the list. Not that I really care though... I'm not denying that Upper St Clair is a good "brainy" place to retire...I again don't really care.

Quote:
I agree USC was an odd choice, but that is part of why it made sense to reinterpret it as a more general Pittsburgh post.
Oh geez.....Yes lets reinterpret the useless list to say something even more useless about Pittsburgh. Good idea.

Regardless, people should make better effort to be clear about the city limits and things of that nature it is confusing for people outside the area (that is the people usually reading the forum).

Old 06-11-2008, 06:08 AM

487 posts, read 1,381,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Not that I really care though... I'm not denying that Upper St Clair is a good "brainy" place to retire...I again don't really care.
... despite the fact that I've spent the last several pages arguing about it ...

Old 06-11-2008, 06:19 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,613,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
... despite the fact that I've spent the last several pages arguing about it ...
lol...how about it.

Humaniod, you are the most uncaring prolific poster I've ever seen.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:38 AM

632 posts, read 1,741,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Ok, this made me laugh this morning...

Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,075,566 times
Quote:
Ok, this made me laugh this morning...
You and me both. Hahaha.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:53 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,159,649 times
Quote:
... despite the fact that I've spent the last several pages arguing about it ..
I haven't been arguing about whether Upper St Clair is "brainy" or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh