Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:59 AM

85 posts, read 519,975 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been up to Mt. Washington and noticed the old abandoned building near the Mon Incline? I noticed it first when I was coming up the incline and the first thing I noticed was the architecture, which is kinda contemporary, and pretty cool. I thought it was someone's old house because it was covered by trees. I never noticed how big it was until they cleared the trees all out.

Does anyone have any history on this place, when it was closed up, and maybe why? It's slowly starting to fall apart, but it's fascinating to see such a large piece of real estate being neglected in a nice area like that.

If you don't know what I am talking about maybe I can go take some pics when I'm up there again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:25 AM

632 posts, read 1,740,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythekid View Post
Has anyone been up to Mt. Washington and noticed the old abandoned building near the Mon Incline? I noticed it first when I was coming up the incline and the first thing I noticed was the architecture, which is kinda contemporary, and pretty cool. I thought it was someone's old house because it was covered by trees. I never noticed how big it was until they cleared the trees all out.

Does anyone have any history on this place, when it was closed up, and maybe why? It's slowly starting to fall apart, but it's fascinating to see such a large piece of real estate being neglected in a nice area like that.

If you don't know what I am talking about maybe I can go take some pics when I'm up there again
Is this a red and yellow modern looking building?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Mt. Washington residents are tired of living near the Edge - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Quote:
Some Mt. Washington residents are upset with a vacant, graffiti-covered building hulking over the cliff near the Monongahela Incline.
Site of the former Edge restaurant, the structure is a homeless haven, a graffiti painter's canvas and a developer's dead end, said members of a group who want it torn down.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:31 AM

85 posts, read 519,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
Is this a red and yellow modern looking building?
No, but I know what house you are talking about. That is located on Cola St. A Brain Surgeon lives there I believe. My dad's lawyer buddy lives in the house behind him.

Yep, that's it. Wow, I didn't realize it's been closed since 1979. I really like the style of it, I wonder when it was built. It's still in pretty good shape for 29 years with no maintenance really.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I remember when it was The Edge restaurant. I believe it was really chic for its time. I don't know what happened, but the place closed and I think the owner of the property had some problems and it became an eyesore. About ten years ago, the Ritz-Carlton Hotel chain wanted to tear it down and build a hotel over the cliff and down the mountainside. I think it would have been 4 - 6 stories on Mt. Washington and 8 or 10 stories going down the cliff. They published architectural drawings in the paper. However, the people that live behind the site protested that it woud hulk over their street and houses, cause traffic jams, and managed to block the development. So there sits The Edge. I think that any developer would have problems building there because the neighbors will fight just about anything proposed for that site unless it was single family houses.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:22 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythekid View Post

Wow, is that still there? I lived in that yellow high-rise right across the street from the Mon Incline, and if you're talking about the building just over the edge of the hill from Grandview this is for Ripley's. Is it a large, if I recall gray building that's kind of built into the terrain?That was a swanky restaurant back in the day; I'm trying to think of the name...The Edge comes to mind, but that may be another restaurant up there. But the building I'm thinking of had been vacant for some time then when somebody told me it was stuck in litigation. It's hard to believe that it still is, that it has been vacant all of these years. I'd really like to know if anybody has any information on this; I always thought it would be ideal for something. Maybe it has been deemed structurally unsafe and the city is afraid to tell the people of the South Side that it is gradually sliding down the side of Mt. Washington and will eventually land on their heads.

Yeah, I posted before I read the article. Incredible that that's still there. There is either a good reason, like there is something seriously wrong with the structure or the Fox Chapel opthamologist's price is way out of line, or, and this is what alot of posters have been saying on this forum...Pittsburgh really is in alot of trouble.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
I think that any developer would have problems building there because the neighbors will fight just about anything proposed for that site unless it was single family houses.
I used to live on Grandview, and the traffic issue would really be a problem for a big development like a Ritz Carlton or similar. Lots of narrow bricked streets with nowhere to expand.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
There are buildings like this in every Pittsburgh neighborhood, its part of what gives Pittsburgh its...err...charm.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 PM

136 posts, read 166,996 times
A Ritz on Mt. Washington would have been awesome. The traffic might have been a little bit heavier but who wouldn't want to stay in a fancy hotel that overlooks one of the best views of a city in America? I'm sad that it didn't happen.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 PM

632 posts, read 1,740,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
There are buildings like this in every Pittsburgh neighborhood, its part of what gives Pittsburgh its...err...charm.
Very tactful.

(and I sincerely mean that...)

This is one of the things that I wish Pittsburgh was better about. Old buildings would be much more charming if they were fixed up instead of left to rot and fall down the hillside. It's sad that there are so many examples of unique architecture still left in ruins in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh