Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 AM

346 posts, read 538,090 times

Advertisements

Yesterday driving through the Mt. Wu I came to the corner of Boggs and Wyoming street and much to my shock like 4 buildings were completely gone... I travel up that way a lot and I didn't even see any construction and all of a sudden there are like four buildings missing... One I think was a jewlers at one time another was a restaraunt called Lisa's Place or something of that nature... the buildings looked to be in pretty good condition so I imagine they were tore down to build something.... This is right next to Fox's Pizza and that Italian eatery.

Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,363,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Yesterday driving through the Mt. Wu I came to the corner of Boggs and Wyoming street and much to my shock like 4 buildings were completely gone... I travel up that way a lot and I didn't even see any construction and all of a sudden there are like four buildings missing... One I think was a jewlers at one time another was a restaraunt called Lisa's Place or something of that nature... the buildings looked to be in pretty good condition so I imagine they were tore down to build something.... This is right next to Fox's Pizza and that Italian eatery.

Anyone have any ideas?

is it across the street from that intersection? I know that probably about three years ago or so the people that owned that building kicked all of the little stores in that building out because they had "big plans" for somethingoranother . . . well apparently the "big plans" consisted on having yet more storefronts sit empty for years. That's a big waste if those are the buildings they tore down, as they had just done a lot of work right there.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 AM

346 posts, read 538,090 times
Yes, those are the ones... I kind of thought the same thing. Those store fronts looked fine... The buildings appeared to be in good condition... they are completely GONE!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Yes, those are the ones... I kind of thought the same thing. Those store fronts looked fine... The buildings appeared to be in good condition... they are completely GONE!

That's crazy. The windows on the second floor still had the stickers on them.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,240,020 times
I wish you were talking about One Grandview. We were hot and heavy on that topic two plus years ago. The silence is deafening. It should get built eventually since they control the land and have all of the permits. It just will take time to finance.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,064,298 times
Eventually something will get down with that land. When, and whether it will be the One Grandview project as we know it, is a different matter.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM

There is so much land up on the Mount that seems to just get sat on by the owners. I guess I should be thankful for small favors that least they've gotten the giant ugly tool trailer and (most of) the garbage off of that prime lot.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,164,888 times
Isn't mine subsidence, and, more generally, danger of landslides and erosion a la PJ McArdle the major reason Mt Wash isn't really more developed? I doubt it's as much landowners holding land as it is developers unwilling to purchase said land that may or may not be suitable for development over the long run.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,064,298 times
I assume they looked into all the relevant issues for One Grandview--as reported, it has just stalled for lack of financing, not because the land proved unsuitable.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Isn't mine subsidence, and, more generally, danger of landslides and erosion a la PJ McArdle the major reason Mt Wash isn't really more developed? I doubt it's as much landowners holding land as it is developers unwilling to purchase said land that may or may not be suitable for development over the long run.
The ugly empty spot at the corner of Grandview and Bertha is a prime spot that should be one of the most desirable in the whole state, actually. The sign with the picture of the building says that it's "Coming in 2007." They haven't even bothered to fix that:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh