Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2022, 08:46 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
You can do whatever background check you want. Ban any firearm you want and it won't make any difference. Most gun crimes are not done by someone who is going into dicks and buying a gun off the shelf. Most gun crimes are commited by repete offenders. Until we start reabilitating our criminals and providing them with psychological visits all we are doing is storing them until their next crime. Maybe we need to have mandatory schooling in jail. Maybe learn a trade or a skill while incarcerated.
Bingo…and folks won’t stop defending and enabling the criminals that use them. They’ll insist it’s the police and guns fault instead of the poor entitled “because society” criminal. Nor do they want to admit the skyrocketing violent crime and mass shootings have happened since the summer of love and the last 16 months.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…and folks won’t stop defending and enabling the criminals that use them. They’ll insist it’s the police and guns fault instead of the poor entitled “because society” criminal. Nor do they want to admit the skyrocketing violent crime and mass shootings have happened since the summer of love and the last 16 months.
It is easier to pass blame than to solve the problem. Imagine how much could have been done with all the money used to kill Russians

Old 06-03-2022, 09:58 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
It is easier to pass blame than to solve the problem. Imagine how much could have been done with all the money used to kill Russians
Bingo

Old 06-03-2022, 10:22 PM

987 posts, read 279,352 times
Quote:
You can do whatever background check you want. Ban any firearm you want and it won't make any difference. Most gun crimes are not done by someone who is going into dicks and buying a gun off the shelf. Most gun crimes are commited by repete offenders. Until we start reabilitating our criminals and providing them with psychological visits all we are doing is storing them until their next crime. Maybe we need to have mandatory schooling in jail. Maybe learn a trade or a skill while incarcerated.

Uvalde gunman legally bought AR rifles days before murdering all the children. He wasn’t a repeat offender.

Old 06-04-2022, 02:16 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Uvalde gunman legally bought AR rifles days before murdering all the children. He wasn’t a repeat offender.
That is one example of a million crimes a year. There will always be crazy people, if they want to kill they will kill. What do you think would have happened if there was an assault rifle ban. Do you think he would have gone to the arcade instead or do you think he would have found another weapon?

Old 06-04-2022, 05:16 AM

Quote:
That is one example of a million crimes a year. There will always be crazy people, if they want to kill they will kill. What do you think would have happened if there was an assault rifle ban. Do you think he would have gone to the arcade instead or do you think he would have found another weapon?
What an absolutely idiotic response that is. Why have any laws at all? Let’s allow people to buy nuclear weapons, rocket launchers, etc. Let’s let Al-Qaeda have nukes, cuz they’ll just use planes anyway so might as well give up and let them have whatever they want. That’s such a spineless, defeatist attitude.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:16 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
me - I am in total favor of universal background checks*, the power to plead to a judge that guns be taken from someone found to be mentally unstable (I see that is one item the senate is considering), the age to be 21 for ANY firearm ownership, and REQUIRING the authorities (local police and state police, and depending, the FBI) be notified by an owner if his/her guns are lost or stolen.

i would be interested in a discussion for some kind of fee if a gun IS stolen from outside an owner's residence, in so putting the burden of securing it on their shoulders. (a friend has his stolen from unlocked car - not unusual in this part of the city, sure....but upon hearing this, i said nothing. the idiot!)
Do you know the current background check system? If you buy from a gun store, you get checked. If you buy at a gun show, you get checked. If you sell a pistol to another private individual, you are already legally required to have a background check performed. The only "loophole" is if a private individual sells a rifle or shotgun to another private individual. So what good will closing that loophole accomplish? It will only make a confiscation possible by having a record of every LEGAL sale.
Guess what? The criminals and gangbangers are STILL going to get their guns illegally through straw purchases.

How about we start prosecuting those?? Why is it that the girlfriend of the murderer of the Uber driver STILL hasnt been charged, when anybody who looks at the case knows she as guilty as sin? Lock up people like HER, instead of focusing more energy on infringing on the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Red flag laws? You cant see that being abused by someone with an ax to grind? A vindictive ex or family member? Aided and abetted by an ideological judge? Again, there are EXISTING laws! If someone is a threat to themselves or others, they can be involuntarily committed for psychiatric care (302) - and then they would lose their firearms if they are committed. Why reinvent the wheel?

Requiring me to notify the cops if my guns are stolen? Again... WTF good will that do?
Open your eyes.. 31% of the City of Pittsburgh's homicides in 2022 are solved. https://newpittsburghcourier.com/202...22-are-solved/
The police here cant catch 70% OF THE MURDERERS. WTF will me telling them that my gun has been stolen do? If they cant catch a murderer, how can they find my gun?? Especially if whoever steals my gun files off the serial number afterwards??? This notification will do NOTHING.

Fining people if their guns are stolen?? Again.. come on.. why shift the blame onto the citizens instead of blaming and punishing the CRIMINALS!! What if a gun is stolen from my trunk and its in a locked case? Do I get your fee waived or pro-rated? What if I only had a trigger lock on it? What if it wasnt loaded?

The same thing for these ridiculous safe storage laws.. many people have guns so that they can introduce any burglars to Jesus. If someone is kicking down your door or breaking your window, it doesnt make much sense to have your gun in one safe with trigger locks on it and then your ammo in a different locked area. Then YOU'RE going to be the one who gets to meet Jesus.

So again, why shift the blame onto the law-abiding? If my gun is stolen from my house and it only has a trigger lock would that be a misdemeanor charge for me - as opposed to a felony for me if my gun were completely unlocked? And does anyone know how much a gun safe costs?? Theyre NOT cheap - and de facto requiring them would impose even more of a financial burden on those citizens who want to enjoy their Constitutional right. A bit like a poll tax.

And where does it end? If I break into your house and steal a knife from your kitchen and use it to stab someone - do you bear the blame? If I steal your car keys and then kill someone while driving your car - do you bear the blame? Those are ridiculous rhetorical questions that I'm asking.. but the left-wing has brainwashed people into not seeing the ridiculousness of blaming law-abiding gun owners if their guns are stolen by lawless animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
2.) "Arms" in the late 17th century were muzzleloader muskets and pistols that could fire two rounds per MINUTE if you were really good and your powder was kept dry.

3.) Muskets and pistols were notoriously inaccurate until the time that shot was made to a consistent standard and the bores were rifled.

So, does anyone think that James Madison and company would have any serious reservations about background checks and waiting periods and red flag laws given the current capacity of firearms to kill hundreds of innocent people in seconds?
I refer you to letters of marque and privateers.
https://www.history.navy.mil/our-col...ring%20wartime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_marque

Quote:
Perhaps we should start teaching our youth that there are consequences to their actions, instead of wringing our hands and telling ourselves that suspending students is now a "racist" action. Perhaps we can actually send juveniles who commit gun crimes to some sort of facility until theyre 21 to try to fix them, instead of releasing them on house arrest. Perhaps we can have mandatory minimum sentences for those who commit gun crimes. Perhaps we can have UGLY penalties for a second conviction for a gun crime - get caught possessing a gun for a second time after youre prohibited from doing so.. go to jail for 20 years.

Quote:
Its better to send American money to have proxies fight the Russians in Ukraine than to have to send American soldiers to fight the Russians in Tallinn, Riga, and Kaunas. Or perhaps you would prefer to die defending Gdansk?

Quote:
What an absolutely idiotic response that is. Why have any laws at all? Let’s allow people to buy nuclear weapons, rocket launchers, etc. Let’s let Al-Qaeda have nukes, cuz they’ll just use planes anyway so might as well give up and let them have whatever they want. That’s such a spineless, defeatist attitude.
The spinelessness is in blaming the tool instead of blaming the evil person. Take away guns, and evildoers will use a different tool to commit evil.

I refer you to school attacks in China. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China

Old 06-04-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
The spinelessness is in blaming the tool instead of blaming the evil person. Take away guns, and evildoers will use a different tool to commit evil.

I refer you to school attacks in China. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China
If you think that a murderer with a knife can inflict the same level of destruction as a murderer with an assault rifle, then you’re a special kind of stupid.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:05 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,840 times
Quote:
If you think that a murderer with a knife can inflict the same level of destruction as a murderer with an assault rifle, then you’re a special kind of stupid.
A special kind of stupid is one who cant engage in critical thinking that goes against an easy narrative.

The Sagamihara stabbings were committed on 26 July 2016 in Midori Ward, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan. Nineteen people were killed and twenty-six others were injured, thirteen severely, at a care home for disabled people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagamihara_stabbings

A group of eight knife-wielding terrorists attacked passengers in the Kunming Railway Station in Kunming, Yunnan, China, on 1 March 2014.[3] The attackers pulled out long-bladed knives and stabbed and slashed passengers at random. The assailants killed 31 civilians and injured more than 140 people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kunming_attack

On 3 June 2017, a terrorist vehicle-ramming and stabbing took place in London, England. A van was deliberately driven into pedestrians on London Bridge, and then crashed on Borough High Street, just south of the River Thames. The van's three occupants then ran to the nearby Borough Market area and began stabbing people in and around restaurants and pubs.
Eight people were killed and 48 were injured, including members of the public and four unarmed police officers who attempted to stop the assailants. British authorities described the perpetrators as "radical Islamic terrorists"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_London_Bridge_attack

On 19 December 2016, a truck was deliberately driven into the Christmas market next to the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church at Breitscheidplatz in Berlin, leaving 12 people dead and 56 others injured.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Berlin_truck_attack

On the afternoon of 17 August 2017, 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub drove a van into pedestrians on La Rambla in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain killing 13 people and injuring at least 130 others, one of whom died 10 days later on 27 August.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Barcelona_attacks

On the evening of 14 July 2016, a 19-tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, resulting in the deaths of 86 people and the injury of 458 others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_truck_attack

On 22 March 2017, a terrorist attack took place outside the Palace of Westminster in London, seat of the British Parliament. Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old Briton, drove a car into pedestrians on the pavement along the south side of Westminster Bridge and Bridge Street, injuring more than 50 people, four of them fatally. He then crashed the car into the perimeter fence of the palace grounds and ran into New Palace Yard, where he fatally stabbed an unarmed police officer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Westminster_attack

But continue focusing only on guns. Moron.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
A special kind of stupid is one who cant engage in critical thinking that goes against an easy narrative.

The Sagamihara stabbings were committed on 26 July 2016 in Midori Ward, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan. Nineteen people were killed and twenty-six others were injured, thirteen severely, at a care home for disabled people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagamihara_stabbings

A group of eight knife-wielding terrorists attacked passengers in the Kunming Railway Station in Kunming, Yunnan, China, on 1 March 2014.[3] The attackers pulled out long-bladed knives and stabbed and slashed passengers at random. The assailants killed 31 civilians and injured more than 140 people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kunming_attack

On 3 June 2017, a terrorist vehicle-ramming and stabbing took place in London, England. A van was deliberately driven into pedestrians on London Bridge, and then crashed on Borough High Street, just south of the River Thames. The van's three occupants then ran to the nearby Borough Market area and began stabbing people in and around restaurants and pubs.
Eight people were killed and 48 were injured, including members of the public and four unarmed police officers who attempted to stop the assailants. British authorities described the perpetrators as "radical Islamic terrorists"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_London_Bridge_attack

On 19 December 2016, a truck was deliberately driven into the Christmas market next to the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church at Breitscheidplatz in Berlin, leaving 12 people dead and 56 others injured.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Berlin_truck_attack

On the afternoon of 17 August 2017, 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub drove a van into pedestrians on La Rambla in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain killing 13 people and injuring at least 130 others, one of whom died 10 days later on 27 August.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Barcelona_attacks

On the evening of 14 July 2016, a 19-tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, resulting in the deaths of 86 people and the injury of 458 others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_truck_attack

On 22 March 2017, a terrorist attack took place outside the Palace of Westminster in London, seat of the British Parliament. Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old Briton, drove a car into pedestrians on the pavement along the south side of Westminster Bridge and Bridge Street, injuring more than 50 people, four of them fatally. He then crashed the car into the perimeter fence of the palace grounds and ran into New Palace Yard, where he fatally stabbed an unarmed police officer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Westminster_attack

But continue focusing only on guns. Moron.
If knives are such effective mass murder weapons, why not trade in your guns for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh