Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 06:54 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,020,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
The Japanese, being an island nation and very singular culture, have done this for as long as I can recall. It's a courtesy, but also very practical way to contain communicable diseases.
They are a true success story and show that diversification isn't a positive. They think alike and want the same things. Very successful country with very little in the way of natural resources. They are lucky not to have a bunch of foreign people demanding stuff. They are very harmonious. We could learn a lot from them.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I'm late to the conversation, but today I did my once weekly trip to the Asian buffet off Noblestown Road in Westwood (most would say its Green Tree)....and it was dead compared to the usual weekday crowd. I assumed it was because of the cold, having totally forgot about coronavirus.

it seemed odd, since a great deal of their weekday lunchtime clientele are field guys (utility workers, construction guys, etc.)...and it was sparse there today. I guess because of fears of the corona virus.
Everything was dead due to the weather. Who the heck wants to go out in this crap? Don't read into it.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:55 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,256,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Did you read the artical? They said that the best case is to have APPROVAL in 90 days. That's the end of May. Getting it to scale is going to take A LOT longer. And if this is as virulent as it appears to be it might be too late. I think the whole idea behind vaccines is to have a percentage of the population immunized BEFORE the virus has spread.

I am not blaming Trump. In fact I think he is acting in a similar way as the Chinese leadership in initially minimizing the concern, so as not to cause widespread panic, which ultimately lead to distrust of that government. I don't think we want to risk that happening here, so he needs to consult with his experts and convey realistic expectations. Let's see what happens. But this certainly isn't going to be anything like contained by April.
I read the article. That’s why I sent it.

Perhaps he was given realistic expectations and why he said it. I’d also wager that he doesn’t want to stir up an entire nation....but “
My wife had the perfect retort this morning when she heard Trump's assessment: "we ought to just have a dog as president, since all this one does is wag his tail, and tell us it's all going to be fine".”

Last edited by erieguy; 02-27-2020 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 07:03 PM

I do understand some retaliation from a segment of the population that is being attacked and it should be accepted due to how poorly they are being treated. Read between the lines, but we all know the certain people are being mistreated in society. I feel it well and don't blame some retaliation.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...t-on-students/

Oh well. Get used to it and get used to the occasional mass shooting if people are going to congregate against any population, especially if it is a dominate one. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:58 AM

Hopefully we can keep this thread more informative and less BS.

Would be nice if we could get a vaccine right here in Pittsburgh going soon.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...virus-vaccine/

Old 02-28-2020, 06:15 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,948,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Nope, there are folks who can't be vaccinated. No problem with them, they have my empathy.
The issue is with folks, such as those who don't believe in vaccinations, who spread pseudo-science - they shouldn't be listened to. Information regarding pandemics should come from reputable, scientific sources, and not from people merely sharing their opinions.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tyovan4 again.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:20 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,948,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
They are a true success story and show that diversification isn't a positive. They think alike and want the same things. Very successful country with very little in the way of natural resources. They are lucky not to have a bunch of foreign people demanding stuff. They are very harmonious. We could learn a lot from them.
Coincidentally I have seen this exact same argument used by white supremacists. Though I have no idea what the hell your comment has to do with the thread.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:27 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tyovan4 again.
Thank you

Old 02-28-2020, 06:43 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,166,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wow.....

You realize that's basically a KKK talking point, right?

Old 02-28-2020, 06:46 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,166,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I just hope that folks will get their medical news from reputable sources on this topic - such as directly from public health agencies, and not from some of the clowns on social media who don't believe in vaccines, etc.
You must spread some reputation around...

I don't always agree with you, but I'm 100% on board with you for this comment.

Eschaton, kudos on a solid post about this virus that fear mongers as little as possible too. I would imagine there are going to be issues this spring with MLB and NHL games going as planned too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh