Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 04:41 AM

32,642 posts, read 78,029,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Good post. If I was a younger single dude starting my career I'd totally buy this place for under $60K and have money left over to start filling up this garage!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...64_rect/14_zm/
Preferences have changed. I’m 30(ish) and would love to live in a house like that! I’d have no need for the garage but would cheaply rent out 4 of the 5 bays for like $25/month each to neighbors for additional income.

As noted, though, if I work in Downtown Pittsburgh (as I do) why spend $55,000 on a house like that way out in Wall when I could spend the same or just a bit more to buy a comparably-sized and -appointed home in Swissvale, McKees Rocks, Etna, Elliott, Allentown, Wilkinsburg, etc.?

Housing preferences have also changed. People don’t want these cute old working-class homes anymore (well, besides the few odd ducks like me and Preservation Pioneer). The fact that fancy large new homes are springing up like weeds in places like Pine Township and South Fayette Township while the metro area is declining in population proves that.

I agree with municipal consolidation. Make it a state law that once a borough declines to under 1,000 in population it must merge with its surrounding township or an adjacent borough (i.e. Wallmerding). Wall should not have to provide all of the same services on its own that are already provided by Wilmerding and North Versailles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 06:06 AM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,197,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I agree with municipal consolidation. Make it a state law that once a borough declines to under 1,000 in population it must merge with its surrounding township or an adjacent borough (i.e. Wallmerding). Wall should not have to provide all of the same services on its own that are already provided by Wilmerding and North Versailles.
Consolidation should never be a law. That is taking away freedom of choice. These small towns and boroughs should have a say and vote on if they want to merge and share. Laws on merging can destroy areas, like it did to Edgewood and Churchill. That was done by law. Imagine the value of the homes in Edgewood, if it still had its own school. Imagine the tax revenue it would generate! Nope, the law stepped in and destroyed the school district. Look at Woodland Hills and all that violence. Gone are the days of Edgewood having a safe place for their kids to attend. No more LAWS! Voting by the people is the real answer!

Old 09-28-2018, 07:23 AM

969 posts, read 780,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Consolidation should never be a law. That is taking away freedom of choice. These small towns and boroughs should have a say and vote on if they want to merge and share. Laws on merging can destroy areas, like it did to Edgewood and Churchill. That was done by law. Imagine the value of the homes in Edgewood, if it still had its own school. Imagine the tax revenue it would generate! Nope, the law stepped in and destroyed the school district. Look at Woodland Hills and all that violence. Gone are the days of Edgewood having a safe place for their kids to attend. No more LAWS! Voting by the people is the real answer!
Woodland Hills school district bashing aside, do you actually think Edgewood is having a hard time? The home prices are not low and the homes are well kept. Other than old timers reminding us of the homogeneous good old days of Edgewood primary it's doing just fine.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11344214_zpid/

Old 09-28-2018, 08:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,769,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Woodland Hills school district bashing aside, do you actually think Edgewood is having a hard time? The home prices are not low and the homes are well kept. Other than old timers reminding us of the homogeneous good old days of Edgewood primary it's doing just fine.

Another flipped home. Yawn to the open floor plan, the greys, etc. etc. Bought for $128 less than a year ago. Really? $300k worth of updates? Ha. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post

Home bought for $128K a year ago now listed for the moon means nothing. People can ask whatever they want.

The bar is greatly lowered for Edgewood because of the school district disaster.

My point is more about letting the residents decide what happens to their town, not some idiot judge not from the town. It is a little thing called FREEDOM!

Old 09-28-2018, 02:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,096,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

As noted, though, if I work in Downtown Pittsburgh (as I do) why spend $55,000 on a house like that way out in Wall when I could spend the same or just a bit more to buy a comparably-sized and -appointed home in Swissvale, McKees Rocks, Etna, Elliott, Allentown, Wilkinsburg, etc.?
My guess is that Wall has lower crime than all of those communities, except for perhaps Etna. It's not a populated area, and it's isolated from other neighborhoods. As others have said, there are probably drugs there (like everywhere else), but I can't see crime being a major concern. Also, without that five-car garage, the house would probably be worth more like $35k. Those move-in ready homes for under $40k are scarce in the neighborhoods you mentioned. Things are changing.

Quote:
Housing preferences have also changed. People don’t want these cute old working-class homes anymore (well, besides the few odd ducks like me and Preservation Pioneer). The fact that fancy large new homes are springing up like weeds in places like Pine Township and South Fayette Township while the metro area is declining in population proves that.

I think the small working class homes do extremely well as rentals. However, when people buy homes, they seem to go for the bigger ones. There is a small house movement going on, though.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:57 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Good post. If I was a younger single dude starting my career I'd totally buy this place for under $60K and have money left over to start filling up this garage!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...64_rect/14_zm/
Pending. I had a feeling that would sell.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:22 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,467,233 times
Quote:
Pending. I had a feeling that would sell.
Yup you got your finger on the pulse all right, that baby flew off the market only took 3.5 years, 3 listing contracts, and 2 attempted fsbo stints. All jokes aside, except for the garage the house behind it is way better.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:25 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Yup you got your finger on the pulse all right, that baby flew off the market only took 3.5 years, 3 listing contracts, and 2 attempted fsbo stints. All jokes aside, except for the garage the house behind it is way better.
Being an old real estate mogul, I knew it would sell due to this thread. Believe me, people read this place and never post. Someone saw that garage and had to have it. They will pay cash and it will go through. I almost bought it to be honest. Very rare find.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,467,233 times
Quote:
Being an old real estate mogul, I knew it would sell due to this thread. Believe me, people read this place and never post. Someone saw that garage and had to have it. They will pay cash and it will go through. I almost bought it to be honest. Very rare find.
no, he did not read it in this thread..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh