Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 10:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,344,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I no longer have a landline, but I do prefer to use them. My problem with long cell phone calls isn't so much the quality, but that my cell phone gets really warm and is harder to hold than a regular phone.
I hate that about cell phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 11:10 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,560,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't know many families with children then. They need landlines so their children can call 911.

That's the only time I used mine. We have a landline with the bundle, but there's no phone hooked up to it. For years, I had one with the ringer turned off. When it died, the new one didn't have a way to turn the ringer off so I threw it away. We've had a landline without a phone for a few years.
This is basically what we have. We have a landline but we I have not idea what the number is.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM

697 posts, read 781,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Doesn't leave a lot of time to watch huge amounts of cable TV either .... or chill out on long landline phonecalls. I didn't realize anyone under 40 had a landline
Maybe technology has changed but my home alarm system uses the landline. I do have friends with cooler, newer alarms where they can monitor things online so maybe just DSL is needed for newer systems? I do also use for kids because they like to make and receive calls (including 911 if necessary) and I don't want them on my mobile.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM

146 posts, read 217,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I tend to net just under $3,000/month. My partner nets under $2,000/month. I could probably afford to increase my 1/2 rent by $200/month without breaking the bank while still permitting me to save a bit each month towards my down payment; however, my partner/roommate makes less than I do, has more student debt than I do, and can't afford much higher rent, and I'm not willing to pay >50% of our rent/utility obligation, which means we're capped out at about $800/month in rent, plus utilities, for a 1-BR. Toss in how few landlords will rent to a pet owner, and we're feeling the pinch with how rapidly rents have risen just over the past several years here.

$3,000/month in take-home pay is probably what many, many local Pittsburghers earn, but when you factor in student-related debt, vehicle-related debt (including maintenance, gas, and depreciation), our expensive local utilities, expensive groceries, etc. it really dwindles. This is why I was so angry about the pothole damage back in January. An unexpected ~$700 repair bill took a huge chunk out of my savings towards my first home.
Do you have an emergency fund that is separate (at least in your mind) from your down payment savings? If not, first save up $1000 that you do not touch except for things like your pothole incident, unexpected vet bills, etc. When you spend from the fund, pay the fund back until it reaches the $1000 (or whatever, that is just an arbitrary number, but really is the minimum) mark again. When your emergency fund is funded, you can save for your down payment. You could even put this down payment savings in a separate account (perhaps an online savings account), so that it is less tempting to touch.

If you really want to buy a house, you need to make saving towards that your number one goal, after paying for the essentials. It can be hard, but it can be done. Can you shift from saving "a bit" every month to saving as much as you possibly can? Even if you can't lower your bills by shopping around for competitive rates or dropping cable (and I bet you could), assuming your expenses are $2200 (you said >$2000, so I'm just guessing), you could still be saving at least 20% of your take home pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't use it myself, but I know a bunch of people who rave about Mint (https://www.mint.com/t/fy14025b/) Something like that might help.
When I first started getting my act together with budgeting, I used Mint as my main tool, and I liked it. It's great for showing you a snapshot of where your money goes, as long as you use cards primarily, rather than cash. Once I got more into budgeting I switched to YNAB, but still log into Mint sometimes to get an overview. The downside is that you have to give Mint all your bank/credit card login info, which not everyone will feel comfortable doing.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,612,479 times
Mint? wtf I use Wife.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,924,828 times
I would think his car insurance is high because he said he uses it for work and not just personal. I understand the city overall pays less than other places and that housing is going up, but to me it sounds like you want the squirrell hill/ fox chapel/sewickly heights lifestyle, but at the penn hills rates. Can't have that.

somehow I sense a strong resentment over your underemployment given whatever degree you graduated with and is the cause of venting. I think you will be fine if you get out of this job. a job is a job and you stressing due to it is not worth it,imo. lifes too short to complain about the job,people, housing "crisis" and whatever negative thing you hold.

in the end if your paradise of a city isn't able to support you and your spouse/family then perhaps a relocation elsewhere is needed. I thought I felt at home in the city but the truth is far from it. I like the city itself but I sense it's not my long term location for myself and will head back south. At least I tried it, gave it a shot and learned from it. Maybe SCR, you should reflect on that idea and think it over. PA isn't the end all, be all of civilization in the US.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:58 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,660,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I no longer have a landline, but I do prefer to use them. My problem with long cell phone calls isn't so much the quality, but that my cell phone gets really warm and is harder to hold than a regular phone.
I use a headset with my cell phone.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
This and the fact that a lot of our jobs are being replaced by Machines.
Or off-shored.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM

SCR, since you use your vehicle for work, aren't you able to take a deduction for expenses, mileage, etc. on your taxes? That should help to offset some of the costs of car ownership.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 PM

6,788 posts, read 9,641,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even though clothing isn't purchased monthly, it should be included in the monthly budget so it's available when clothes need to be purchased. Say you spend $300/year on clothes. That's $25 that should be set aside in the monthly budget.
This is why everybody thinks Pittsburgh is full of sloppy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh