Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 06:36 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,584,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Is it worse than extended adolescence among women?
I don't have any stats because I don't think there's a census tract for man-children - but anecdotally speaking, I know many more guys in their late 20s and early 30s who have little intention of "growing up" than women.

I know many more single women who are career oriented and/or own a house than single men.

On the other hand, many of these men have hobbies or passions that the women don't have - which take a lot of time. These being music, bikes, playing sports, spectator sports, video games, beer, etc. Not that women aren't into these things, but it seems more common for guys to be.

I know I'm generalizing, but I've seen more single female first time home buyers than single males - at least in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 PM

9,389 posts, read 13,049,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
I don't have any stats because I don't think there's a census tract for man-children - but anecdotally speaking, I know many more guys in their late 20s and early 30s who have little intention of "growing up" than women.

I know many more single women who are career oriented and/or own a house than single men.

On the other hand, many of these men have hobbies or passions that the women don't have - which take a lot of time. These being music, bikes, playing sports, spectator sports, video games, beer, etc. Not that women aren't into these things, but it seems more common for guys to be.

I know I'm generalizing, but I've seen more single female first time home buyers than single males - at least in the city.
One thing that is for certain: women now outpace men in terms of higher education achievement.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 PM

876 posts, read 1,146,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
One thing that is for certain: women now outpace men in terms of higher education achievement.
Dammit, I knew giving you broads the vote was a slippery slope...

Back to topic, I think the glaring inefficiency in the rental market is the lack of affordable rentals in neighborhoods proximal to Oakland. Students and service workers (and students working through school) are paying a helluva lot more than they should in a lot of cases to live in neighborhoods with bus and bike access to campus.

It's been said on here a million times, but it really would be nice to see Uptown finally start to develop and become a viable mixed-income neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,130,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post

Hmmm, you might be on to something. You could say the same thing about this forum--is it a gender thing or a coincidence? Hmmmmm, now you've got me wondering. I've noticed the female posters who say they want to be home buyers seem a little more believable. They don't seem to be BSing to impress people, they genuinely want a house and it's usually bought in a month or so. Then you have the guys who talk and talk about it but that's all it is, a lot of talk. Years go by and no action is ever actually taken.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,164,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hmmm, you might be on to something. You could say the same thing about this forum--is it a gender thing or a coincidence? Hmmmmm, now you've got me wondering. I've noticed the female posters who say they want to be home buyers seem a little more believable. They don't seem to be BSing to impress people, they genuinely want a house and it's usually bought in a month or so. Then you have the guys who talk and talk about it but that's all it is, a lot of talk. Years go by and no action is ever actually taken.
Fear of commitment...

Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,130,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Fear of commitment...
LOL you might be right about that.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,883 times
I have been looking for a place in NYC for sometime now. I make way more than 40x the rent but still can't afford it with student loan payments, childcare and all other things. I sometimes look at others and wonder how is it possible they are living in NYc.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,911,280 times
This fits in with the subject.

Quote:
The Pittsburgh market's apartment vacancy rate for the first quarter of 2014 tightened slightly to three percent, according to a new research by New York-based Reis.

While Pittsburgh was once among the strongest apartment markets in the country, Reis' reporting suggest the multifamily sector as a whole remains tight nationwide.

Reis Report: Pittsburgh's apartment vacancy rate at 3 percent - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,734,230 times
It truly shows you how few people on here have any compassion for the less fortunate when they pretend they don't even exist.

Given current trends my partner and I will not be willing to pay $800+ (plus ALL utilities) for a crappy 1-BR apartment in Polish Hill. Our maximum budget that doesn't make us "house-poor" is $800/month + all utilities. Finding a decent 1-BR (that accepts pets) for <$800/month has become a much taller order since moving here in 2010. Let's presume the people who are being priced out of Shadyside, where they couldn't afford $1,000/month+ for a 1-BR but CAN afford $800/month for a 1-BR here in Polish Hill are pricing those in Polish Hill, whose maximum budget is $800/month, out to Millvale and Troy Hill. We move there and can pay up to $800/month for a 1-BR, which is higher than prevailing market rents in such areas. Existing residents are largely paying ~$500/month-$600/month for a 1-BR in those areas. When people like my partner and me move in and drive up the rent, where will THOSE people go?

City-Data members seem to think we have an infinite supply of affordable safe neighborhoods to go around. We don't. People being priced out of Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, Bloomfield, etc. will go to Troy Hill, Millvale, Etna, Spring Garden, etc. People in THOSE areas will go...?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,925,275 times
If you had any compassion, you wouldn’t be considering moving to Millvale or Troy Hill, since you will effectively be forcing those people out. Move to the West End or another area where there is not the presumed impending rental crunch and that buys those in Millvale and Tory Hill a little more time.

I did my part in this entire thing by buying in Brookline, and avoiding the East End, thus not contributing to the great EEHC. The “it’s not me, it’s you” attitude doesn’t fly when you are actually trying to be one of the people pricing out those who are less fortunate. Put the those truly in need ahead of yourself and look outside of those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh