Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
One other option that hasn't been mentioned yet is moving back in with parents. It can be rough, but if you want to save money to buy a house your parents will probably charge a really low rent. Home prices in Pittsburgh are low enough that you wouldn't have to live with them all that long to save up enough. If you're single and don't have any kids, it might be worth trying for a short time.
As a parent, I'm not excited about this suggestion AT ALL. My door is always open to my children on a short term basis while looking for an apartment or a long term basis while recovering from an illness, etc. They are not welcome here on a long term basis simply to make life easier on themselves. Long term is for desperate need, not to save money to buy a house, especially when the lifestyle is wasteful. They can suffer without a new car, a cell phone, and TV if they need to save money. If they are low income and truly do not earn enough to save for a house, I would gift them the down payment. If they're earning a decent living and can't save due to their lifestyle, they'll have to figure it out on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Agree. Roommates suck.
Living with parents sucks more, don't you think? Every time I moved back to Pittsburgh and stayed with my parents for a month until I found a rental, I thought I'd go insane. They were awesome, but the house was so noisy. Living on my own, I liked peace and quiet. I couldn't even think at my parents' house. The TV was so loud, day and night, due to my father losing his hearing. It was like we changed roles. I wished they would be more quiet and go to bed earlier---just like they felt when I was a teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
As a parent, I'm not excited about this suggestion AT ALL. My door is always open to my children on a short term basis while looking for an apartment or a long term basis while recovering from an illness, etc. They are not welcome here on a long term basis simply to make life easier on themselves. Long term is for desperate need, not to save money to buy a house, especially when the lifestyle is wasteful. They can suffer without a new car, a cell phone, and TV if they need to save money. If they are low income and truly do not earn enough to save for a house, I would gift them the down payment. If they're earning a decent living and can't save due to their lifestyle, they'll have to figure it out on their own.
To each his own, I guess. We let one of our kids move back in for a year so he could save money for a house. We had a written agreement that included some ground rules, which may have helped the situation some. I may not have agreed with some of his purchases (he bought an i-phone, which I agree is a wonderful thing but which I also think is a luxury item), but since we had an agreement as to how long he would be staying with us it didn't feel like he was sponging off us or that he might stay forever if he bought things like an i-phone. So I didn't feel it was my business. Some of our ground rules probably weren't fun for him (especially rules against getting drunk and against letting strangers stay overnight in our house; I didn't want to wake up in the morning and see someone I didn't know). At the end of the year he had the money he needed and successfully bought his own house, where he gets to make his own rules. So yes, there were some strained moments but he achieved a specific goal, which was what mattered to us.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:27 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
And my point is that the entirety of Pittsburgh is affordable when compared to the cheaper parts of many other metro areas. To live in the most expensive part of the city and STILL pay less in housing than you did before means that the expensive parts of Pittsburgh are affordable. Sure, other parts are cheaper, by why trade like for like when you can live in a better relative location for less money than where you lived before?

There's nothing wrong with the rest of Pittsburgh, of course, I'd probably be content to live in much of the rest of the city and the closer suburbs and may very well move outside of the East End in the near future, but the rents in the East End are high because it is the most attractive part of the city to live in at this time, and when you move here after being used to NYC-area prices, the entire city is one amazingly remarkable bargain.
You are reasonable in that you are willing to pay top dollar to live in a top neighborhood. Others, on the other hand complain because Pittsburgh isn't as cheap as it was 5-10 years.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,957 times
Quote:
.... Some of our ground rules probably weren't fun for him (especially rules against getting drunk and against letting strangers stay overnight in our house; I didn't want to wake up in the morning and see someone I didn't know)...... .
Not getting drunk??? Cruel, cruel parents

Old 04-24-2014, 11:37 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
To each his own, I guess. We let one of our kids move back in for a year so he could save money for a house. We had a written agreement that included some ground rules, which may have helped the situation some. I may not have agreed with some of his purchases (he bought an i-phone, which I agree is a wonderful thing but which I also think is a luxury item), but since we had an agreement as to how long he would be staying with us it didn't feel like he was sponging off us or that he might stay forever if he bought things like an i-phone. So I didn't feel it was my business. Some of our ground rules probably weren't fun for him (especially rules against getting drunk and against letting strangers stay overnight in our house; I didn't want to wake up in the morning and see someone I didn't know). At the end of the year he had the money he needed and successfully bought his own house, where he gets to make his own rules. So yes, there were some strained moments but he achieved a specific goal, which was what mattered to us.

I had a few friends that lived with their parents in basically the same set-up. They paid a nominal amount of rent each month to teach them how to budget and what not. The real kicker that helped them out was that their parents returned that rent in full when they moved out. In my opinion that really defeats the purpose of teaching how to budget your livings expenses if you get a full refund at the end of the "lease."

Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I had a few friends that lived with their parents in basically the same set-up. They paid a nominal amount of rent each month to teach them how to budget and what not. The real kicker that helped them out was that their parents returned that rent in full when they moved out. In my opinion that really defeats the purpose of teaching how to budget your livings expenses if you get a full refund at the end of the "lease."
If you do it secretly I think the lesson may still be learned. But really, no matter what the situation, if mom and dad are your landlord, you're not getting the full experience of real world budgeting.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
We let one of our kids move back in for a year so he could save money for a house.
I might be swayed by a promise to mow the lawn.

This is a nonissue for me since my children don't even live in Pennsylvania.

Quote:
I had a few friends that lived with their parents in basically the same set-up. They paid a nominal amount of rent each month to teach them how to budget and what not. The real kicker that helped them out was that their parents returned that rent in full when they moved out.
That's different. It's a learning tool many parents used for young adults before they leave home. Caladium is suggesting mature adults return home after living on their own. The example in this thread is an adult couple with a combined take home income of 5k. They should be able to save money for a down payment while supporting themselves.

Quote:
In my opinion that really defeats the purpose of teaching how to budget your livings expenses if you get a full refund at the end of the "lease."
Most parents who do this don't tell the children they will get the money back. It really comes down to parents not wanting to benefit financially from their children. That's why they give the money back. They don't tell ahead of time because they don't want it to be expected, and it won't teach a lesson if the children are expecting the money.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
And now the complaining will begin
Kind of s dumb article, but it got the shock value. Pittsburgh's rents have been so cheap and now they are slowing catching up to some other cities, but not even close to as expensive as places like NYC, where you live and San Fran. They tell you about the percentage increase, which of course would be much higher in Pittsburgh considering the old rent would be bargain basement and now it is still cheap, but not as cheap as it once was. Hope the rents continue to rise to get rid of some of the riffraff. The school districts need more money and so does the city. You aren't getting that money from the super poor that live all over the city. This is a very good sign for Pittsburgh's future if the trends can continue.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Quote:
I wouldn't give the money back, but we did charge a ridiculously low "room and board" fee. He had to take care of his own transportation and a few other such expenses, including all expenses associated with his dog. The dog was a low care, quiet, and really mellow bichon--if he'd had a noisy or aggressive dog that might have been a deal breaker.

I'm not sure if we would have been willing to help him out if he was part of a couple (married or live together). Couples talk to each other, sometimes fight, etc. All in the Family was a funny sit com, but in reality I think couples need their own apartment, unless it truly is a desperate situation. Might be ok if they were renting a garage apartment, though. Really don't know how I would feel if kids were part of the package. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge if it ever becomes a situation (but really, really hope it doesn't).

Old 04-24-2014, 12:51 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
You are reasonable in that you are willing to pay top dollar to live in a top neighborhood. Others, on the other hand complain because Pittsburgh isn't as cheap as it was 5-10 years.
And that complaint is fair enough. Rising housing prices is good in that it reflects Pittsburgh's growing desirability after decades of steady decline, but it doesn't help for anyone who may not own their own home and do not have salary increases to match the cost of living rise. I can't be fun to be priced out of a neighborhood where one has been living for many years. I wonder sometimes how non-rich people in Manhattan get by or if whatever rent-controlled apartments remain are the only reason non-rich people still live there. I also remember hearing comments from people in Boston a decade ago remarking on how they wouldn't be able to buy their own houses at the price levels prevalent at that time. Pittsburgh is nowhere near being generally unaffordable, thank goodness, but it looks like it's reached a point where people need to be more choosy on where to live based upon their budget. At least many of the cheaper neighborhoods are quite livable as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh