Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,132,771 times

Advertisements

I've always liked Blawnox, but you never seem to hear about it. It's in the Fox Chapel Area School District and has good proximity to the Waterworks and Route 28.

Millvale is near the Riverfront Trail. It seems like one of those nice little neighborhoods that's been forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,149,802 times
As long as we're extending into the 'burbs, I'll say that I don't see why Sharpsburg gets such a "blah" reputation. I spent one day a week in the magistrate's office there (as a law student, not a defendant) a few summers ago and always enjoyed my time in that area of the world. Surprisingly full-service business district.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM

4,181 posts, read 2,973,324 times
The Broadcrest neighborhood at the top of Lincoln Avenue is an interesting oasis for the black middle class. Its a circular development thats actually one street. Broadcrest Drive is a mix of split levels and ranches but has one of the best examples of a mid century home anywhere. Its cutoff from lincoln proper by dense forest and not visible from lincoln avenue.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:08 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,834,364 times
Chartiers City is one of the most obscure, random neighborhoods nestled in the city's west end.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,281,530 times
Westwood has a lot to be said for it, it has a greater walkability factor than does Oakwood or Chartiers City does, with a Shop n Save and the shopping center within a reasonable distance.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,388,529 times
I agree with all of the above.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,584,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I know that people suggest / discuss Brookline here sometimes, but I still think it's underrated relative to the East End. Brookline Boulevard is essentially Liberty Ave on the other side of the tunnel, surrounded by twice as much well-maintained square footage for your money and schools that are maintaining amidst a systemic decline.

Also, obviously I'm going to mention Troy Hill. It's mind-blowing to me that people are starting to pay $200k+ for houses in Upper Lawrenceville that are farther from Butler Street than Lowrie Street, when the same / better housing stock exists over on the Northside at 1/4 the price or less, in an area that is equally safe or safer. The amenities are not overwhelming but, for a community its size in 2014 Pittsburgh, they're still adequate / surprising. (E.g., Morningside has almost twice the population and probably 1/3 or 1/4 the business.) That said, I am pleasantly surprised at the extent to which the tide seems to have turned re: perception of Troy Hill on this forum. I think that the perception mirrors the reality, increasingly.

Also, you hear about Brighton Heights periodically, but Observatory Hill gets far fewer mentions. In my opinion, the housing there is incredible for the prices, and I imagine that one day the Baytree/Perrysyville area will start pulling in more business again.
I agree with all 3 but:

Brookline is huge and hilly. The areas closer to the Blvd may end up jumping in price in the next few years, but as you get further into the more post-war developments, they'll continue to be stable.

I agree that Troy Hill is going to appreciate, but I don't agree that Lowrie St is closer to Butler St than any part of 10th Ward (upper Lville). In fact, I'd argue that Troy Hill is as close to Butler St 3400 blocks as parts of Stanton Heights are to the 5200 blocks of Butler. The houses selling for bigger bucks in upper Lville are the first few blocks off of Butler and some of that architecture is pretty great. late 2013 and now 2014 are the years that upper Lawrenceville is going to pop. It already started to.

Obs Hill definitely has some great architecture, but they need a business district.

My personal prediction is that Garfield is going to change a lot in the next few years. I've been hearing more and more people talking about buying their first home there, looking for houses there, and generally interested in that area. Problem is that inventory is slim or sh!tty. I'm not predicting 200k sales in Garfield, but the prices will rise high enough to weed out bottom feeders, speculators and slum lords.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,975,781 times
I did the full Fineview fitness trail in the Fall and was really impressed at that neighborhood. There's some great architecture up and and people seem to be fixing up their places and well, there's a fine view. No retail at all as far as I could tell but it's a pretty quick trip down to the flats of the Northside from up there.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 PM

50 posts, read 66,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post

I agree that Troy Hill is going to appreciate, but I don't agree that Lowrie St is closer to Butler St than any part of 10th Ward (upper Lville). In fact, I'd argue that Troy Hill is as close to Butler St 3400 blocks as parts of Stanton Heights are to the 5200 blocks of Butler. The houses selling for bigger bucks in upper Lville are the first few blocks off of Butler and some of that architecture is pretty great. late 2013 and now 2014 are the years that upper Lawrenceville is going to pop. It already started to.

When Rialto Street reopens, it will be < 1 Mile by road from "top of Pig Hill" to the Doughboy Memorial.
Google Maps A to B = .9 Miles. Another 1000' = < 0.2 miles

Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,834,364 times
When will Rialto reopen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh