Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,689 times

Advertisements

Well 2014 is starting out with some excitement. Not only am I really enjoying getting more into my new job, but I found a sweet little apartment on Murray, or rather I should say it found me. I wasn't planing to move quite so soon but this is not to be passed up. It is everything I want in an apartment and the price is right, so at the end of January I will be relocating. I will be on the lower end of Murray, the end headed toward the Waterfront near the old Giant Eagle.

The convinience to work and to the dojo where I practice aikido is excellent. I have noted that the 61c and 61d both pass right by my new home and go past my new job as well so nice and convenient and saving me a fortune in commuting costs.

Now what I would love to hear about is all of the little places in that area to shop and eat. Are there any hidden gems in the area that anyone would like to share? I have noticed a couple of little hole in the all diners near my new place but my friends who live in the area tend to not spend much time down that end of town and so do not have recommendations.

Any tips for a newbie in the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
If you're going to be right near the Giant Eagle on Murray between Lilac & Loretta then you're technically right on the border of Greenfield. Szmidt's Deli on Greenfield Avenue has some great food. I also had my hair cut a few times when I first moved here at Darlene's Place, which is on Murray Avenue closer to Hazelwood Avenue. She did a pretty good job! When I worked at the PNC on the corner of Murray & Loretta some of the staff there said they liked the little diner across Loretta (Kristopher's?)

Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM

Great thank you. I was wondering if that little diner was any good and it is nice to know about the deli. Yes that is the general area. I think my friend said that basically the opposite side of the road(same side as Giant Eagle) is Greenfield. I knew it was sort of right on the boarder.

Do you know anything about the little auto shop toward the end of the road close to the oil change station? The guy use is way down in Washington and I will still use him when I can but will want someone close for anything that might come up and need attention right away.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:40 PM

706 posts, read 1,049,254 times
I am not too familiar with that far down on Murray. I thought you were closer to Mineo' s. Anyway, there is a good Asian takeout near Mineo' s called Z a w s Asian Food. Quite tasty indeed.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:21 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,886 times
I think th area near minoes has some good food if u don't mind walking

Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post

Any tips for a newbie in the neighborhood?
You're about a mile from where we live. If you like Asian food that is excellent and inexpensive, I can recommend a few places. There's a few bars/restaurants near the T'iggle too, so you may have some good places locally.

Welcome to the neighborhood

Old 01-01-2014, 06:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Well 2014 is starting out with some excitement. Not only am I really enjoying getting more into my new job, but I found a sweet little apartment on Murray, or rather I should say it found me. I wasn't planing to move quite so soon but this is not to be passed up. It is everything I want in an apartment and the price is right, so at the end of January I will be relocating.
Congratulations! Nothing like starting off a new year with everything falling into place. Afraid I have no tips, just wanted to say congrats and enjoy the new digs.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
You're about a mile from where we live. If you like Asian food that is excellent and inexpensive, I can recommend a few places. There's a few bars/restaurants near the T'iggle too, so you may have some good places locally.

Welcome to the neighborhood
I do like Asian food. There is a place here that knows my on a first name basis. I sort of feel bad that some of my usual small business will no longer be a part of my regular route but am looking forward to discovering new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Congratulations! Nothing like starting off a new year with everything falling into place. Afraid I have no tips, just wanted to say congrats and enjoy the new digs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I think th area near minoes has some good food if u don't mind walking
I don't mind walking. I have been told that Minoes is good.

Thank you all for the tips welcomes and congrats. I seriously can't wait until February.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM

356 posts, read 917,125 times
With our older cars (mostly a 2002 Jeep), we have had excellent experiences with Homer's Car Repair in Greenfield, and I highly recommend them for this. This may be the place you were asking about. It is about a block up from the Giant Eagle on the other side of the road. When we ran into a problem with our newer Volkswagen, it took longer to find the problem and it ended up being a factory recall problem. We have been taking that car for service at VW dealers mostly now.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:13 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
shadowfax - im glad you are so excited about your new home. i hope you love the area.

i cant tell you about places to eat (im cheap and rarely eat out and when i do, its Subway - the one on Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill is OK, but sucks compared to others).

i wanted to let you know about Schenley Park, in case you havent experienced it. its getting heavily used over the years, but at times - usually early mornings or in mid- to late afternoons, it is usually very quiet down on its trails. some of them are rather rugged and that makes it fun for just hiking. i always found it refreshing to my mood to get away to the trails and thickets.

boy your legs will get in shape, too. you'll be looking sex-ay...haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh