Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
It would sure help to have more information from the OP. Where in Pittsburgh? School, commuting to work? Type of vehicle? Etc...
In the OP's other thread, he says his daughter will be attending school at Pitt's U-Parc in Harmarville. They are trying to find housing nearby. Most recently he asked about Cheswick. I doubt it matters what type of vehicle if she's only going from Cheswick to Harmarville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 01:14 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,588,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCKWILSON View Post
My daughter is moving to Pittsburgh from Florida. Does she need snow tires or chains??
Thanks
No.

She might want to read up on how to drive in snow (more for the rest of us than just her), but snow tires are unnecessary. It doesn't snow that often and doesn't accumulate usually. We maybe have 4 or 5 days out of the year where the roads are bad (spread out over a few months in the winter), and that only lasts for a day or two at a time before they get it cleaned up. If the roads are too bad where you can't drive on them its best just take a personal day and stay home until they're cleaned up tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:39 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,594,778 times
If she is going to be in the city tell her to get a bus pass. Seriously she will be fine with all season tires but she needs to learn how to handle driving situations in the snow. Over reacting and jumping on the brakes or making a quick change of direction is a very bad thing on snow pack or ice. Dealing with our steep hills when it gets slick takes some finesse. Tell her to go find an empty parking lot covered in now some time and practice dealing with skids, where she won't smash up her car.

AWD is wonderful but you still have to have some sense. My Subru goes great when roads get messy, but that is no guarantee it will stop. The reason we see so many SUVs rolled over and in wrecks is because of the serious lack of common sense people have about what one can and can't do.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,889,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post

AWD is wonderful but you still have to have some sense. My Subru goes great when roads get messy, but that is no guarantee it will stop.
It's true that AWD won't help you stop. But snow tires WILL help you come to a stop.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:18 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,817,355 times
The SUV's were out of control today. I was slipping, and sliding all over the place, doing my slow & steady thing, while the SUV's were honking and tearing around me 10 mph over the speed limit. Guess they couldn't wait an extra 5 minutes to get to the mall. If I didn't have a job interview I needed to get to, I would definitely have stayed at home.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
I went shopping at the Waterworks and didn't have a problem at all. I don't drive an SUV. Just a full size sedan.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:31 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,916,921 times
with the snow we have had recently, which isn't much for the east end, I didn't feel like I needed snow tires. heck I found my parking lot to be the biggest threat since the folks who run this complex don't even salt the parking lot and this past weekend the lot pretty much became one nice ice rink lol.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:51 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,726,003 times
If you work in a hilly area or commute through a hilly area, you should absolutely get snow tires. Saved my ass more times than I can count, seriously.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:41 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,926,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
with the snow we have had recently, which isn't much for the east end, I didn't feel like I needed snow tires. heck I found my parking lot to be the biggest threat since the folks who run this complex don't even salt the parking lot and this past weekend the lot pretty much became one nice ice rink lol.
You live in an urban environment causing a phenomenon known as a heat island. Try driving up towards Cranberry or Moon Township after a storm. Snowfall amounts can change dramatically outside of the city. Usually when I leave Oakland, the city has, for instance, 2 inches. My parents home in South Park could have as much as 4 or 5 inches, same with our house out in Plum. Communities north of Pittsburgh usually have even more.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,362,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
You live in an urban environment causing a phenomenon known as a heat island. Try driving up towards Cranberry or Moon Township after a storm. Snowfall amounts can change dramatically outside of the city. Usually when I leave Oakland, the city has, for instance, 2 inches. My parents home in South Park could have as much as 4 or 5 inches, same with our house out in Plum. Communities north of Pittsburgh usually have even more.
Depends on elevation within the city, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh