Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:42 AM

814 posts, read 1,157,191 times

Advertisements

Translation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I know nothing about how baseball actually works and am not even really a Pirates fan. I just enjoy watching everyone else be miserable so much that even though I have finally been proven wrong, I am still going to act like I was right all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM

40,998 posts, read 18,404,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Translation:
Some people are happy with below average and mediocre and some aren't. In the case of the Pirates, its good to be that way.

Its great that they finally have a winning season. To gloat over it and to think its going to continue is reaching for a star. While it would be great to achieve, its not gonna happen.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
methinks erieguy and pghdude28 must be related

I was in WA when the Mariners went from a leading play-off contender for 2-3 years to their now Pirates-esq status in a decade. That was sad - no idea why though. Let's keep fingers crossed for the Bucs. They're doing something right this season, for sure.
Some people are happy with fireworks and all you can eat hot dogs. Some aren't. Some want to see a successful team more than once every 20 years. To each their own.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,173,748 times
Quote:
Its great that they finally have a winning season.
Yes it is.

Quote:
To gloat over it and to think its going to continue is reaching for a star.
Do you have evidence of this said star-reaching? Lots of folks attribute the success of this team to:
1. Investment in youth (See: McCutcheon, Andrew; Walker, Neil; Cole, Garrett; others)
2. Willingness to spend more money on talent than in the past (see all of the above)
3. Embracing analytics - great article linked above on defensive strategy
As well as some other reasons. The reasons I sited in 1-3 seem to be longer-term in nature. Continuation of success, while never guaranteed, is at least more of an option than it ever has been in the past.

As far as gloating goes, are we here putting down the failures of others? Is that a general sentiment among fans out there? Are we excessively proud? Or is the Pirates fanbase just excited to see good baseball for once? I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating success, especially not after such a long string of failures. Are we instead supposed to not enjoy this at all, put our heads down, and prepare for the team to unravel? Seems like that can wait until next year, or at least the winter.

Quote:
While it would be great to achieve, its not gonna happen.
Please present evidence to support this claim.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Some people are happy with below average and mediocre and some aren't. In the case of the Pirates, its good to be that way.

Its great that they finally have a winning season. To gloat over it and to think its going to continue is reaching for a star. While it would be great to achieve, its not gonna happen.
Let me spell it out for you:

A) The "profitgate" numbers didn't take into account paying down debt.

B) Major League Baseball could have had Nutting over a barrel if they felt he was pocketing revenue sharing money without investing in the team. But...they didn't go after him. I wonder why? Could it possibly be that instead of just twirling his moustache and laughing nefariously, Nutting actually was investing tens of millions of dollars into Latin America and the amateur draft, and the commissioner's office was okay with that because it's actually how you rebuild a team from the ground up?

C) Speaking of the amateur draft, Nutting authorized the Pirates to spend so much in that arena that they literally broke the system, leading to the new "slotting" rules for the MLB draft. Oh, and by the way, Pirates now have a consensus top-5 minor league system to show for it, and that ranking doesn't even include the recent graduates like Marte and Cole who look to be impact players at the Major League level.

D) At the Major League level, since that seems to be the only thing you and other numbskulls of your ilk are concerned with, the payroll has risen steadily AS IT HAS BEEN WARRANTED. I can't stress that last part enough. Having a $70 million in payroll in 2010 would have been stupid because the team was so putrid, no $40 million worth of Major League players would have changed its outcome. Having a $70 million payroll now, on the other hand, is appropriate because the core of the team is young, good, and cost-controlled, so it makes perfect sense to fill in that core with established, more expensive pieces (and they've done so well doing that, so many of those pieces have even turned out to be bargains). And, in the biggest test of all, the Pirates locked up their MVP candidate superstar for seven years! What more proof do you want that Nutting is willing to spend (again, APPROPRIATELY)?

Several posters have already made variations of the above points, and you have yet to produce a single rational, intelligent response to any one of them. So I am forced to draw the conclusion that you are either a troll, or someone who thrives on the misery of others and is so desperate for that to continue that it's made you delusional.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Anyway, on a lighter note...

One of the coolest feelings I've ever experienced, for sure.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,689,397 times
It appears that some people can't be happy in the now.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
It appears that some people can't be happy in the now.
My problem is more with the fact that he's using complete fiction as his basis for refusing to be happy, and that he's trying to preach this fiction as god's truth on top of it.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Let me spell it out for you:

A) The "profitgate" numbers didn't take into account paying down debt.

B) Major League Baseball could have had Nutting over a barrel if they felt he was pocketing revenue sharing money without investing in the team. But...they didn't go after him. I wonder why? Could it possibly be that instead of just twirling his moustache and laughing nefariously, Nutting actually was investing tens of millions of dollars into Latin America and the amateur draft, and the commissioner's office was okay with that because it's actually how you rebuild a team from the ground up?

C) Speaking of the amateur draft, Nutting authorized the Pirates to spend so much in that arena that they literally broke the system, leading to the new "slotting" rules for the MLB draft. Oh, and by the way, Pirates now have a consensus top-5 minor league system to show for it, and that ranking doesn't even include the recent graduates like Marte and Cole who look to be impact players at the Major League level.

D) At the Major League level, since that seems to be the only thing you and other numbskulls of your ilk are concerned with, the payroll has risen steadily AS IT HAS BEEN WARRANTED. I can't stress that last part enough. Having a $70 million in payroll in 2010 would have been stupid because the team was so putrid, no $40 million worth of Major League players would have changed its outcome. Having a $70 million payroll now, on the other hand, is appropriate because the core of the team is young, good, and cost-controlled, so it makes perfect sense to fill in that core with established, more expensive pieces (and they've done so well doing that, so many of those pieces have even turned out to be bargains). And, in the biggest test of all, the Pirates locked up their MVP candidate superstar for seven years! What more proof do you want that Nutting is willing to spend (again, APPROPRIATELY)?

Several posters have already made variations of the above points, and you have yet to produce a single rational, intelligent response to any one of them. So I am forced to draw the conclusion that you are either a troll, or someone who thrives on the misery of others and is so desperate for that to continue that it's made you delusional.
If you and others would have read my first post rather than thinking that I'm not happy about the winning season, you wouldn't spend so much time complaining that I'm putting the winning season down.

As I said in my first post, to post a thread about eating crow for 1 winning season in 20 is ridiculous.

Should the Pirates continue to have further success, I will be happy to eat the crow, however, I'm a realist, and they will be lucky to have a season like this within(being realistic) the next 6 years.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
My problem is more with the fact that he's using complete fiction as his basis for refusing to be happy, and that he's trying to preach this fiction as god's truth on top of it.
Reading is obviously as big of a problem as the Pirates having a winning season in 20 years.

I said many times I think its great that they are where they are. I've also said many times that gloating over 1 winning season in 20 is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh