Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,027,866 times

Advertisements

Bike Rack Design Contest | Pittsburgh City Paper

I like the bridge one, but it could easily hold more bikes from the sides rather than having them pull on to the bridge. It does pander to Pittsburghers though, so I feel bad for the other designers who probably put more thought into their designs.

The one where the bikes hang vertically seems like the worst idea. Interesting concept, but many people simply wouldn't use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,339,731 times
OMG. They're all bad. I hate the bridge one. The rest are useless, ugly, and only hold a couple of bikes.

I wish I had known about this. I could have created a better design.

Vaughn Washburn's sculpture type one would be appropriate for the cultural district if it could actually hold bikes.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,027,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG. They're all bad. I hate the bridge one. The rest are useless, ugly, and only hold a couple of bikes.

Vaughn Washburn's sculpture type one would be appropriate for the cultural district if it could actually hold bikes.
I do find all of the designs to be underwhelming. I like the existing "three rivers" racks the best. They are unobtrusive, have a low key tip of the hat to the city, and can actually be used without an instruction manual.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:

How many bicycles do they really need to hold? Most people in town just bring their bicycles into their domiciles or offices when they are through riding, they generally don't leave them on the street.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
How many bicycles do they really need to hold? Most people in town just bring their bicycles into their domiciles or offices when they are through riding, they generally don't leave them on the street.
The idea behind providing bike racks is to encourage more people to use bikes. Not everyone can take them into their office. What about people who ride into town to eat at a restaurant, shop or attend a show in the cultural district?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
The idea behind providing bike racks is to encourage more people to use bikes. Not everyone can take them into their office. What about people who ride into town to eat at a restaurant, shop or attend a show in the cultural district?

Maybe I live under a rock or something, but I just can't picture many guys in their tuxes riding bicycles to the Benedum.

BTW, I believe their is a bike rack at the 9th and Penn garage, I don't know how popular it is during the dining and entertainment based evening hours.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Maybe I live under a rock or something, but I just can't picture many guys in their tuxes riding bicycles to the Benedum.
Guess you don't go to cultural district events. It's not always tuxedos. And there are daytime matinees where people go casual. And you're ignoring my mention of shopping and dining. People who live in the North Side could enjoy riding a bike into town to do those things.

Quote:
BTW, I believe their is a bike rack at the 9th and Penn garage, I don't know how popular it is during the dining and entertainment based evening hours.
For a town to be truly bike friendly, there should be bike racks everywhere, not grouped together in one place like parking garages.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,129,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I do find all of the designs to be underwhelming.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM

14,357 posts, read 17,125,901 times
I bike to work almost every day from April through October. I work in Gateway Center. We are not allowed to take bikes into the building. I'm sure some other buildings downtown have similar rules.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:54 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,591,073 times
Needs to be something simple and self explanatory. Cost effective, and able to accommodate the most riders at once without cluttering up the sidewalk.

I don't see any of these that qualify unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: