Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 AM

10 posts, read 76,502 times

Advertisements

Which bike trail is the best one considering the fun, beautiful views,not too rough to ride and safety?

Allegheny Highlands Trail
The Allegheny Highlands Trail through parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland is the missing link in the soon to be completed DC to Pittsburgh trail. The AHT trail will soon connect the C&O Towpath in Cumberland, MD with the Youghiogheny Trails southwest of Pittsburgh.

Allegheny River Trail
This trail is 15 miles of flat, smooth, asphalt surface from Oil City to Brandon, bordered on the west by the Allegheny River, and on the east by woodland terrain.

Allegheny Trail Alliance
Non-profit organization involved in developing a trail from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC. This currently includes several Pennsylvania Rail-Trails.
Bike Rides in and Around Pittsburgh
Organized alphabetically by location, these descriptions of over 100 rides of varying length and difficulty have been reprinted from Oscar Swan's book Bike Rides In and Around Pittsburgh.

Bike Rides in the Pittsburgh Area
A directory of various bicycling routes in the Pittsburgh area with descriptions. Includes a large number of "door-to-door" road rides.
Coffee Ride
This relatively flat 30km (almost 19 mile) ride described by Pittsburgh cyclist Joe Papp, follows a variety of Pittsburgh city streets and is a "perfect wake-up for the caffeine-hungry cyclist, since it passes at least a half dozen excellent coffee shops."

The Dirty Dozen
This ride mapped out by brothers Dan and Tom Chew is popular with devoted hill-climbers as it includes the 13 hardest hills (and boy, are they hard) located within a 10km (6 mile) radius of downtown Pittsburgh.
Freewheeling Easy in and Around Western Pennsylvania
This book lists hundreds of miles of ‘motor-free’ trails in Western Pennsylvania. Descriptions of trails, maps, history around the areas you are riding. Companion Freewheeling Easy Web site includes select reprints from the book including the first paragraph of the book description, the summary information, and the trail organization for each selected ride. Compare Prices...

Ghost Town Trail
Totaling sixteen miles in Indiana and Cambria counties, the Ghost Town trail gets its name from five mining towns which once existed in the Blacklick valley.

Inner City Rides
A variety of short bike loops through Pittsburgh city neighborhoods, taken from Oscar Swan's book Bike Rides In and Around Pittsburgh.

Montour Trail
A 23-mile crescent shaped trail around the western and southern parts of Pittsburgh. There are currently 26 more mile of trail under construction. Site has description, maps, and trailhead information.

Mountain Bike Trail Reviews
Information and reviews of mountain biking trails in Pennsylvania. The primary ones in the Pittsburgh area are Frick Park, Hartwood Acres, Montour Trail, Moraine State Park, North Park, Boyce Park, South Park and Settlers Cabin.

Pennsylvania Rails to Trails
Organization dedicated to conversion of old railway right-of-ways to public use recreation trails. This site has maps and links to hundreds of miles of automobile-free bicycling trails throughout the state.

Pittsburgh Master Velo Club
Details on Pittsburgh’s ½ mile Cycling Oval near Highland Park. ABR Sanctioned.

Pittsburgh Hills
If you’re looking for the steepest hills in Pittsburgh, this list will certainly challenge your legs.

Steel Valley Trail
This trail, currently under construction, will connect the Montour Trail, the Three Rivers Heritage Trail, and the Youghiogheny River Trail, running along the Monongahela River from Sandcastle Park through Homestead and Glassport to Clairton, PA.

Three Rivers Heritage Trail
This trail links some of the most dynamic, geographic, and historical features of the City of Pittsburgh. There are presently three sections of this Downtown trail completed, covering approximately 5.5 miles.

Youghiogheny River Trail - North
This trail winds for 40 miles from the mouth of the Yough River southward to Connellsville and is especially suited to long-distance leisure trips, since the total rise in elevation is no more than 100 feet. Site has maps and trailhead information.

Youghiogheny River Trail - South
This 28 mile segment of the Youghiogheny River Trail follows the abandoned Western Maryland Railroad, which was built in 1912. The trail meanders from Confluence to Connellsville along the scenic Yough river and through Ohiopyle State Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,087,936 times
I would vote for the South side and North shore trails, best views, amenities, and easy to ride on.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 PM

875 posts, read 1,491,427 times
I did the first major hill on the dirty dozen... I felt like my heart was about to explode out of my chest when I reached the top. That is Berryhill Road, they close it in the winter due to the grade. Anyone who could even FINISH that dirty dozen trek has legs and a heart of steel.

I vote for the Eliza Furnace and South Side trails, long flat trails close to both Downtown and Oakland. It will be even better once the last parts of the Steel Valley trail are finished in November (hopefully), as it will allow a contiguous, almost entirely flat bike path from Pittsburgh all the way to Cumberland, Maryland.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,015,365 times
I have ridden up most all the dirty dozen hills on my road bike with no triple. I envy the triple riders on those hills. I am not in that condition anymore, but hoping to get back to that someday. I spend too much time on here correcting Brian.

My favorite rides are all around the city. City drivers are easier to ride with than the crazy suburban SUV crowd. I use trails quite a bit since they are so relaxing. Hope they continue with trail progress. It feeds on itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh