Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,949,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I also had friends from Peru who introduced me to their cuisine so Peruvian is on my list too.
There are two Peruvian restaurants here, Aji Picante in Squirrel Hill, and La Feria in Shadyside. I haven't eaten at the one in Squirrel Hill, but the one in Shadyside is inexpensive and the food is kind of bland. I don't mind going -- I have a friend who truly loves the place -- but it doesn't really come to mind much when I'm thinking of a place to eat.

Aji Picante - Squirrel Hill/CMU - Pittsburgh | Urbanspoon

La Feria - Shadyside - Pittsburgh | Urbanspoon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
CFP

475 posts, read 626,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
I've been friends with the CEO of Deep Local since we were in college and this has nothing to do with why they are moving.
That is a direct quote from their Twitter feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
They were trying to stay in East Liberty or surrounding areas, but needed A LOT more space because of how much they've grown as a company. They found an incredible deal in the strip with an open space that they could do whatever they wanted with.
So you're claiming there's no affordable office space in EL? Is that what you're really saying?

I can't believe the nonsense I read here. There's probably 500,000 SF of empty office space on Broad Street alone if you count the properties on both sides of Highland.

They got robbed and said on Twitter that's why they moved. Here's the screenshot in case it gets deleted:
http://i45.tinypic.com/23vbww2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Not rent per se, but the costs involved in not owning your own place.

Shadow Lounge Hits Pause Button
I was referring to the cupcake place about the rent.

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2012 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,016,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I think I ate at one in Monroeville with my friend, the King of Coupons. If so, i.e., if that was called Patron, the service was particularly good; the food was...not bad for half price. I'd definitely eat there again.
Can't imagine ever eating there or at Mad Mex again when Rey Azteca and El Campesino are in the same town, personally. Everyone has different taste I suppose. Also don't know how Don Pablo's stays in business.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,949,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Can't imagine ever eating there or at Mad Mex again when Rey Azteca and El Campesino are in the same town, personally. Everyone has different taste I suppose. Also don't know how Don Pablo's stays in business.
When the King of Coupons has a coupon, it's hard to get him to go elsewhere.

I ate at the Monroeville El Campesino a few months ago. I can't remember exactly what I had, but neither my friend nor I thought it was as good as usual. It's been my favorite, really, for 10+ years, so I'll go back, but still.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,016,688 times
I haven't been there in a long time, only a couple times since they moved to the bigger storefront. Rey Azteca is closer, and better in my opinion. But El Campesino was amazing for PGH Mexican before, hopefully nothing has changed.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM

747 posts, read 1,236,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Not rent per se, but the costs involved in not owning your own place.

Shadow Lounge Hits Pause Button

Excerpts:

"The decision was based off of future increases operating expenses, sound proofing costs, and change in the local market, for the primarily live music venue. The search for a standalone building to purchase is underway."

"'Even with all the outside pressure that we have experienced over the summer, this is really about the importance of owning property', explains Strong."

-----

It has nothing to do with foot traffic or parking.
Glad to hear that AVA and Blue Room will remain open. I have attended some amazing events at the shadow. I remember the time when it was byob and most of the programming centered around spoken word and old school hiphop....... This has to be the most diverse night spot in the region. Sad to see it go.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,590,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
So you're claiming there's no affordable office space in EL? Is that what you're really saying?

I can't believe the nonsense I read here. There's probably 500,000 SF of empty office space on Broad Street alone if you count the properties on both sides of Highland.

They got robbed and said on Twitter that's why they moved. Here's the screenshot in case it gets deleted:
But that's not why they moved. That tweet was in october He showed me photos on his iPhone in July of their new space and the renovations they were doing. Their new rental price is insanely low and it is an open warehouse, which is what they needed, not finished office space. He likes making things his own, not paying for somebody elses bland finishes.

If you want to make assumptions based on a twitter feed and not first hand info, then more power to you.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,590,601 times
Quote:
Here's a link to their instagram feed just to show you again that you are wrong:

deeplocal 18w
Beginning renovation of our new space. Lease signed.

Photo by deeplocal • Instagram

It doesn't say why, but it was 18 weeks ago - which puts at early August or late July - shortly after he showed me photos of the new raw space. They were robbed in October while they were halfway through their renovation in the Strip. You don't sign a lease in July because you got robbed 3 months in the future. I can't believe some of the nonsense I read on here. Too many know-nothing know-it-alls.

Just because there are vacant buildings, it doesn't mean that the finishes suit everybody, that the owner has realistic lease prices, or that the sizes suit everybody who is looking for commercial space.

I'm curious as to the real reason why Vanilla is moving - not speculation. Anybody have real answers?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,306,022 times
I was in East Liberty this summer sitting at the Starbucks and I had to be amazed at the differences from 15 years ago when the Yellow Cab garage and lot was on that very site, the carwash next door on Penn Circle South and a whole different vibe in the whole area.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,663,352 times
Quote:
I come from PGH originally, and here in Pittsburgh we're not snobby about the food we eat.
I'm used to authentic food. If that makes me a snob so be it. I will tell you that my favorite taco place back home was located in a gas station in a somewhat sketchy area. You walk up to a window to order and either eat standing in the gas station or take it with you. The tacos are like those in Mexico, in fact the neighborhood is known as "Little Michoacan". I really don't see how wanting authentic cuisine is snobby. I lived in a Hispanic neighborhood for over 20 years and traveled in Mexico. I'm used to a certain style of cooking. I'm sure that you have local favorite foods that you might seek out in other places when you want a taste of home. That's all I'm saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh