Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,363,909 times

Advertisements

For Columbus it all depends on how fast one drives. I70 is an easy road to speed on due to it being largely flat and straight. 3 Hours isn't an unreasonable assumption on the trip assuming you don't hit major traffic in either Pittsburgh (likely) or Columbus (highly unlikely, especially on 70.
Now I will note that the drive through PA to Philly is much more beautiful and scenic than the Drive to Detroit along the Ohio turnpike and I75, but it also is a road that I would want to be completely alert driving on due to the hairpin turns and steep hills (neither of which are prevalent on the drive to Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
For Columbus it all depends on how fast one drives. I70 is an easy road to speed on due to it being largely flat and straight. 3 Hours isn't an unreasonable assumption on the trip assuming you don't hit major traffic in either Pittsburgh (likely) or Columbus (highly unlikely, especially on 70.
Now I will note that the drive through PA to Philly is much more beautiful and scenic than the Drive to Detroit along the Ohio turnpike and I75, but it also is a road that I would want to be completely alert driving on due to the hairpin turns and steep hills (neither of which are prevalent on the drive to Detroit
Driving through Ohio is a nightmare. I want to fall asleep while driving through that state almost.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,181,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
The flipside of that, however, is that I wasn't kidding about having to mix it up to stay awake on my drives to Detroit (of course I did that trip a million times, which didn't help).

Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Driving through Ohio is a nightmare. I want to fall asleep while driving through that state almost.
Seems like a prime candidate for Google's automated cars.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM

29,846 posts, read 34,809,003 times
Quote:
Maybe it's because I'm from Ohio and drive it often, but I've got a system. You just break it into chunks: Wheeling to Zanesville; Zanesville to Columbus, etc. Plus, the landscape of eastern Ohio is a lot more interesting to look at than western Ohio. Once you hit farm country, all bets are off.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM

632 posts, read 1,076,505 times
Quote:
I get to make that drive tonight after work back to Detroit for a wedding...if I leave Southside at 6 I'll be in Detroit by 10-10:30, albeit bored and ready for a few beers.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Plus, the landscape of eastern Ohio is a lot more interesting to look at than western Ohio. Once you hit farm country, all bets are off.
Agreed--I've got no particular problem with the hillier parts in the east.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,531,894 times
Quote:
Maybe it's because I'm from Ohio and drive it often, but I've got a system. You just break it into chunks: Wheeling to Zanesville; Zanesville to Columbus, etc. Plus, the landscape of eastern Ohio is a lot more interesting to look at than western Ohio. Once you hit farm country, all bets are off.
That's how I do it with Nebraska. Omaha to Lincoln, Lincoln to Grand Island, etc. I like to look at the farms and the baby animals.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,755,635 times
Driving through Ohio is a nightmare due to the state patrol everywhere. I traveled to Cleveland last month and counted 13 cars pulled over by state patrol. In PA I counted 1.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,692,059 times
Quote:
Columbus is an easy 3 hours. When I drive to Cincinnati, I don't hit the 3-hour mark until the far side of the Cbus area at 71. Plus, you don't really need to stop for snacks on a trip that short.
I always get to Columbus in 3 hours as well. My brother lives outside Indy which takes us 6 hours and Columbus has always been our exact midway point. It's where we traditionally stop and eat, potty break and stretch on that longer trip. If I were driving just to Columbus I wouldn't bother to stop either.

And I agree with others about the blandness of driving across Ohio. I like Ohio, but it always seems so, so long to me psychologically because it is so flat, the road so straight, and the view along the highway doesn't really seem to vary much. Which probably does lead to me driving fast.

ETA: On the way back I always notice the difference between eastern and western Ohio so much more. I think my brain starts to adjust to the plains from spending time in Indiana so that when we get close to Zanesville I always notice the hills so much more.

Last edited by Tinare; 05-03-2012 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh