Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times

Advertisements

When I bought my house, I was shown a dozen different properties and ended up buying one that the broker had the listing for as well- so at the closing there were just 4 people, me, the real estate guy, the guy from the bank and the seller.

It worked out fine, if I didn't have confidence in the broker, I wouldn't have called him in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,042 times
When I bought, I found the home I liked through online research and had the listing agent show it to me. I went ahead and used the listing agent as my buyer's agent. My thought process was that since she was looking at making a 6% commission, as opposed to just 3%, she'd be motivated to convince the seller to meet my terms. For whatever reason, it worked out to my satisfaction and I got the home at what I considered a fair price, and all my terms were met.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,580,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
I guess I see how a flat fee would be problematic. It just seems like every incentive for agents is to increase the price of housing which is at odds with what is best for buyers.
That's not really true if you are talking just a few thousand dollars. It is really the difference of tens of dollars in the agent's pocket BEFORE being taxed.

The whole idea for the agent is to make their client happy, not to increase the price for the buyer they represent. It is a referral based business and a happy buyer hopefully means a future happy buyer and two future happy sellers that you can work for.

Quote:
I think ultimately the answer will be the internet, as it is with so many other things these days. Eventually enough information will be available on the internet that all buyers will need is someone to do the paperwork. We're already well on our way.
Being that you've never bought a house, you are 100% mistaken.

Houses that are listed generally sell for almost 10% more than if they were for sale by owner. This is because it reaches a much larger buyer pool, is marketed, priced properly, and negotiated by an expert. That means it is in the seller's best interest to have their house listed.

Thus, buyers would need representation so that they can be counseled by an agent to make the process smoother and easier.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
i personally don't see an issue with an agent who also has properties for sale. however, i would be reluctant to use an agent who is also the seller's agent for the specific property i was interested in, unless i knew them very well and trusted them. *that* seems like a conflict of interest (although in a perfect world, both you and the seller have the same goal of getting the house sold for a fair price). don't think there are any agents out there who exclusively represent buyers. and you'd want a buyer familiar with the market you are buying in so i wouldn't go for one who only has listings outside of your area of interest.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:50 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Most agents are honest, believe it or not. But, if they can list a property and be the selling agent as well, it's a double dip. I have a broker's license that I use for investing and occasionally I'll sell to a good friend. A few years back I showed a bunch of house to a long time friend, naturally the one he wanted was an open house, as soon as he walked in, I was no longer his agent. He called me and I said low-ball the heck out of it, the agent would rather take a lower price since she is getting both ends. He did, and the sellers accepted it.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,580,868 times
if a buyer is represented by an agent and walks into an open house, their agent can still represent them.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
I think Copanut was doing it more as a favor to a friend and didn't want to screw up the friends deal just to put money in his pocket. My guess he valued the friendship over a commission. Might have been different if it was a 10 million dollar house.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,556,285 times
[quote=robrobrob;23693139]I think Copanut was doing it more as a favor to a friend and didn't want to screw up the friends deal just to put money in his pocket. My guess he valued the friendship over a commission. Might have been different if it was a 10 million dollar house.[/quote]

Got that right!

I've known the guy since 1st grade, you don't screw up a friendship like that.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:03 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
"Are most real estate agents both buyer's and seller's agents?"

The good ones are.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:17 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,841 times
You can ask for references. I've gotten references of realtors when I have been buying and when I've been selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh