Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,694,572 times

Advertisements

Well, you do keep missing the part where the OP is concerned about ethnicity, not religion at all. But, I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean you would change your mind. Not sure. If you replaced Jewish with, dunno, Indian, say, would that change your thinking? (this is directed at h_curtis)

I can certainly see some folks not wanting to be the only Jew or only Indian or whatever in their neighborhood. There's a certain shared experience they would have that wouldn't be shared with others. That said, I think there's a point where that gets a little overdone, but then I've never felt connected to others in this way. It also doesn't take a lot of population to not be the only. Although really, being concerned about sticking out like a sore thumb as Jewish (as HeavenWood expressed) when not practicing in the religion seems like an unusual concern to me. I don't really feel like you would stick out. But as I said, I don't have experience with those sort of issues.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,297,634 times
People don't care that much in Charlotte either - contrary to your perceptions. This city has grown up and is really a small Atlanta with lots of transplants. We have the largest Jewish population in the Carolinas.
My point was not that the OP does not want to live with Christians, just that people naturally gravitate to people with whom they have something in common. By the way, Squirrel Hill is only 40% Jewish, so there is still plenty of diversity.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
10%? Squirrel Hill is you place. The center churches in Fox Chapel are Presbyterian and Episcopal and a spattering of catholics, but they have no church in the Borough itself. Of course most don't make a big deal about their religion and worry about being "the chosen people" and that kind of thing in Fox Chapel, but most happen to be protestant. The country clubs also center around these religions within the neighborhood. Yes, the Field Club is mostly catholic.

I don't know what it is like as much in O'Hara. That might be a better fit, but 10% is a lot.

It sure is a VERY odd question. I can't imagine a Presbyterian coming on here and saying, I want an area that has 10% or more Presbyterians. I mean, that would really be odd. Sure seems like a troll post to me.
That's Catholic with a capital C!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,059,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
But as I said, I don't have experience with those sort of issues.
I'm not sure I have ever made this explicit before even to myself, but looking back I have in fact tended to favor areas in Pittsburgh where there are other non-natives like myself (what I sometimes jokingly refer to as "ex-pat" areas). So I'd say that is a roughly equivalent sentiment on my part.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times
Quote:
I am just giving correct advice!
You're not giving correct advice. The OP is trying to identify SUBURBS with the highest concentration of jewish people for SUBURBS. Squirrel Hill isn't part of the question. The synagogue being in O'Hara/Indiana instead of Fox Chapel Borough is irrelevant because it's in Fox Chapel School District. You're knitpicking the difference between Fox Chapel Borough and Fox Chapel School District. When most people come to this forum looking for a place to live with children, they are talking school district.

The only thing you are correct on is that most Pittsburghers couldn't care less about a person's religion. Most Jews would be comfortable living anywhere in the region. But you're missing the point that they do like to socialize and network with other Jews so living in an area with some Jews is important. I also know Jews who are afraid to live in an area where they feel they will stand out as the only house not decorated for Christmas, which is silly because I don't decorate my house for Christmas and many of my neighbors don't either. So, there is a misconception, but it's really irrelevant to the topic because the OP simply wishes to identify the SUBURBS with the highest concentration of Jews outside of Squirrel Hill.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-19-2011 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,387,620 times
Quote:
I understand down South it might be very different, but in Pittsburgh people could care less if someone is Jewish, unless the people of that faith harp on it all the time. Same with gay people. If a gay person constantly talks about it and makes sure ALL know, look I am gay, I am a minority, then people get turned off. Pittsburgh is very tolerant of all this stuff unless the minority makes some big deal about it. It is very clear by this OP, that they want to be amongst other Jews. There are two posts about it. I feel my advice is the best on this thread because if someone is all that worked up about this Jewish thing, move to Squirrel Hill and belong to Green Oaks CC. Join the Jewish Community Center in Squirrel Hill, which is very nice by the way. All my advice is geared toward someone that want to make a big deal about religion. This person would be happiest in a strong population of Jews. I am just the only one that recognizes someone that makes a big deal about all this stuff. The two Jewish people I know have spouses that are in a different faith. They both live in O'Hara and don't make some big deal about it.
Have you ever played Green Oaks? It's as bad as a bad public course. It is a cheap membership and not very exclusive. Westmoreland is much more desirable.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,694,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The only thing you are correct on is that most Pittsburghers couldn't care less about a person's religion. Most Jews would be comfortable living anywhere in the region. But you're missing the point that they do like to socialize and network with other Jews so living in an area with some Jews is important. I also know Jews who are afraid to live in an area where they feel they will stand out as the only house not decorated for Christmas, which is silly because I don't decorate my house for Christmas and many of my neighbors don't either. So, there is a misconception, but it's really irrelevant to the topic because the OP simply wishes to identify the SUBURBS with the highest concentration of Jews outside of Squirrel Hill.
Actually, you might stick out a little more as an atheist, which the OP did mention. At least, I get that feeling myself sometimes as an atheist. People around here couldn't care less about your religion as long as you have one, it seems. But, this isn't a topic that comes up with our group of non-nebby neighbors. So I have no idea how religious or not any of them actually are.

And we still decorate the house for that holiday in late December. Lights are fun, an excuse to put out lights is good. Although, really funny given this thread, we have several strings of lights we got some years back that are done in the shape of snowflakes (meant to dangle as icicle lights, but we never used them that way). They're large, about 8" I think. During the day you could see the plastic shapes well that make them snowflakes. At night, though, the illumination pattern looked quite a lot like Star of Davids instead.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 AM

9,388 posts, read 13,047,295 times
Quote:
Like I said, if you have to be around Jews and want to be with lots of them for some reason, move to Squirrel Hill and join Green Oaks CC in Penn Hills. Then you won't need to feel insecure being next to the rest of us or whatever all this is. Usually religious beliefs are not something people flaunt around in the Pittsburgh area. They are personal and not to be thrown in other's faces. You have my obvious answer. Anyone that wants to label places as "Jewish" or whatever should move to Squirrel Hill. That is the highest concentration and as you can see clearly Fox Chapel is mostly protestant with two huge churches in the center of it all compared to NO jewish places of worship. Why people are attacking me for pointing this out is silly. It is just factual.

One other thing to consider when saying, I know this Jewish person and that Jewish person. Sure because they would tell you they are Jewish. I can't remember the last time anyone would come out and say, "I am protestant". It is personal and private and no one would care unless you are throwing it in someone's face.

I still think this is more of a troll post.
This reeks of thinly-veiled anti-Semitism (and no, that's not an accusation I throw around lightly). I have said NUMEROUS times that I don't need a neighborhood as Jewish as Squirrel Hill. In fact, if I settle down in the city, I'd be equally likely to live in North Oakland, Shadyside, or Point Breeze, depending on what's for sale at the time. I didn't draw that 10% figure out of thin air. That's about as Jewish as Pitt UG was (where guess what, the vast majority of the friends I made were gentiles), and I felt perfectly comfortable. I also know that if that figure were much lower, I would start to feel a bit uneasy (eg, 10% isn't a bright line test).

I did some research and found that Adat Shalom synagogue in nearby Indian Township serves 240 families from the Fox Chapel area (by "Fox Chapel," I meant the school district, not the borough alone, so perhaps that created some confusion). Guess what? That's enough for me to know there's a noticeable Jewish presence in the area. I don't need to live in Squirrel Hill or belong to Green Oaks to be happy. In fact, if I end up North of the Allegheny, I'd probably join Wildwood, which is known for being open and accepting of everybody.

Perhaps it serves your stereotype of the Jewish people to assume that those of us who are even the slightest bit vocal about our pride are paranoid and clannish. I pity your need to resort to such preconceptions. I assure you that if I move in, we won't be running in the same social circles (and that has nothing to do with you being Protestant).

You also seem to misconstrue "pride" with "arrogance" (or "flaunting," as you so delicately call it). Try reading a dictionary.

Everyone else has been extraordinarily helpful, and I thank you all for your time and advice. Except for Herr Curtis, you all seem to be saying that while not nearly as Semitic as Squirrel Hill, the Fox Chapel area is Jewish enough that a reasonable Jewish person would feel perfectly at ease. That all sounds good to me!

P.S.: One of my classmates, an Elkins Park, PA native (probably one of the most Jewish enclaves in the state), mentioned that his parents and sister recently moved to the borough. They also happen to be observant Jews (eg, they keep kosher, keep the sabbath, wear yarmulkes, etc). They were even allowed to join the Longue Vue Club. There goes the neighborhood!

@PeterRabbit: I did play Green Oaks, and I found the layout quite nice, actually (I'm from the Philly area, so I have a soft spot for Donald Ross courses). The club membership is also exceedingly old, and probably not sustainable in the long term. Westmoreland is probably one of the best clubs, Jewish or not, in greater Pittsburgh. It's also really far away.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,036,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
This reeks of thinly-veiled anti-Semitism (and no, that's not an accusation I throw around lightly).
I knew my advice would come to that from you. Anyone that starts threads like this and states certain neighborhoods are, "Jewish", is looking for this stuff.

I gave good advice if you feel such a need. If you want to live in a suburb that is so-called, "Jewish friendly", my answer is ANY OF THEM! No one cares!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,577,234 times
I don't think you would have trouble living ANYWHERE in the Pgh area being Jewish, but I understand why you want to live in a area with a Jewish prescence. Just keep your grass cut n'at and nobody cares even if you cheer for dem Ravens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh