Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:10 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Churchill was pretty Jewish in the 1970s. A friend's family had friends there, and it was considered one of the places to live if you were Jewish and wanted to live east of town but not in Squirrel Hill, Highland Park, or Stanton Heights.

I went away for 20+ years, and I've not heard Churchill mentioned as a particularly Jewish place in the 10 years since I've been back.

Is there a reason you don't want to live in Squirrel Hill?
I'm a few years away from settling down. If I'm going to end up in Pittsburgh, I'm going to have to get through law school and get a local job offer first. The Burgh is definitely among my top choices though.

If I do end up here, I have a family, and I have the money to send my children to private school, I'd probably pick somewhere in Squirrel Hill/Shadyside/Point Breeze/North Oakland. This is the preferred option, as I find Pittsburgh's suburbs to be a bit boring for my taste. (no offense to any suburbanites of course!)

If, on the other hand, I don't end up quite wealthy enough to send my children to the likes of St. Edmund's or Shadyside Academy K-12, I'd like to live somewhere with a good school district that still has somewhat of a Jewish population. That's why Mt. Lebanon and Fox Chapel were on my radar.

Also, I'm just generally curious/interested in the progression of Pittsburgh's Jewish community. Since Squirrel Hill has been such a stable core for Pittsburgh's Jewish community, suburban Jewish life is far less prominent here than, say, Philadelphia (where I grew up). Demography is just an interest of mine in general (as it is with most city-data posters).

Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Firstly, that isn't in Fox Chapel. There are only a few religious places in the borough of Fox Chapel and that is in O'Hara next to Baskin and Robbins. I never heard of that place and don't even know if it is there. There is another place in Indiana Twp, that has a Cheswick address called Adat Shalom, which obviously isn't in The Borough.

If you are looking for a place where there is a population of Jews, it would be Squirrel Hill, but that isn't really a suburb even though it feels like one.
Fox Chapel does have a high concentration of Jews. Just because they're not in your social circle doesn't mean they're not there, curtis.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a synagogue in Hampton on Thompson Run Road.
Used to be Manor Courts North, built in 1979 as a Racquetball/Handball Club, was converted to a Synagogue 25 years later. Oy vey, converting at 25? that had to hurt.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Fox Chapel does have a high concentration of Jews. Just because they're not in your social circle doesn't mean they're not there, curtis.
Any idea what percentage that is, Hopes? I don't have to live somewhere as Jewish as Squirrel Hill, but ideally, I'd like the area I settle in to be at least 10%.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
But, but, but...ALL of "The Borough" is in his social circle! Didn't you know that? Of course you didn't! Nobody knows more about everything there is to know about than Mr. Curtis!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Any idea what percentage that is, Hopes? I don't have to live somewhere as Jewish as Squirrel Hill, but ideally, I'd like the area I settle in to be at least 10%.
10%? Squirrel Hill is you place. The center churches in Fox Chapel are Presbyterian and Episcopal and a spattering of catholics, but they have no church in the Borough itself. Of course most don't make a big deal about their religion and worry about being "the chosen people" and that kind of thing in Fox Chapel, but most happen to be protestant. The country clubs also center around these religions within the neighborhood. Yes, the Field Club is mostly catholic.

I don't know what it is like as much in O'Hara. That might be a better fit, but 10% is a lot.

It sure is a VERY odd question. I can't imagine a Presbyterian coming on here and saying, I want an area that has 10% or more Presbyterians. I mean, that would really be odd. Sure seems like a troll post to me.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
It sure is a VERY odd question. I can't imagine a Presbyterian coming on here and saying, I want an area that has 10% or more Presbyterians. I mean, that would really be odd. Sure seems like a troll post to me.
What the hell is odd about it? If possible, I'd like to not stick out like a sore thumb. Unlike Christianity, Judaism is both an ethnicity and a religion. Jews happen to range from the secular to the ultra-observant. For instance, even though I'm an atheist, I still continue to strongly identify with Judaism on a cultural and ethnic basis. One can choose to be a Christian. I can't choose to be a Jew. Even if I chose not to identify as a Jew, that wouldn't change my genetic markers. Check this out:

Genetic studies on Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact you would ask such a question is likely indicative of you not knowing many Jews. If you do happen to have Jewish friends, they've obviously done a terrible job of educating you about our culture.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 10-18-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
For the reasons explained by OP below, you are just wrong and obviously/predictably looking for an argument.

FWIW, HeavenWood, I grew up in the city but went to high school with several (probably 8-10) kids from Fox Chapel, and literally all of them were Jewish. (Evidently they did not go to the same country club as h_curtis.) You would not be a sore thumb at all in the context of Fox Chapel.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
For the reasons explained by OP below, you are just wrong and obviously/predictably looking for an argument.

FWIW, HeavenWood, I grew up in the city but went to high school with several (probably 8-10) kids from Fox Chapel, and literally all of them were Jewish. (Evidently they did not go to the same country club as h_curtis.) You would not be a sore thumb at all in the context of Fox Chapel.
Good to know, Steindle.

Just a little aside: a while back, I made a post inquiring about which PGH country clubs (besides the obvious Green Oaks and Westmoreland) were Jewish-friendly. I could see myself belonging to Churchill Valley starting out. Nice course layout and club amenities, plus the dues are pretty cheap for younger people.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Doesn't seem like an odd question to me. Try being a Catholic down South. Been there. Done that. Not fun.

It's no secret that you don't understand the complexities of anyone outside of your mainstream.

The OP can easily identify who is giving him relevant information. Your posts speak for themselves.

Seriously, if you don't know much about Jews, how on earth do you expect a Jew to take your advice on where to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh