Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,694,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Which supports the premise of the OP.
how so? every newspaper has editorials and op eds, ie opinion pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,911,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
how so? every newspaper has editorials and op eds, ie opinion pieces.
Correct

Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,062,102 times
It may be true that a generally more liberal paper would be more likely to publish that opinion piece than a generally more conservative paper. But I fail to see what is "crazy" about it, or how it otherwise supports the claim that the PG is "complete garbage".

In fact Norton and Ariely's results have been broadly discussed, precisely because they are really quite interesting. Again, I could see why a generally conservative paper would prefer to avoid the topic, but I don't see why it is crazy or otherwise suspect to at least consider their findings.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,855,479 times
Here's a recent Trib article that's an example of garbage. I found this to be too subjective and insulting, divisive and sexist. I maintain both the P-G and Trib have their share of garbage.

Ugly truth about D.C. - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 PM

The OP gave several examples of why he/she thought it was "crazy" and "complete garbage", not just that one

Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
The OP gave several examples of why he/she thought it was "crazy" and "complete garbage", not just that one
I think we have now covered each of the proffered examples in the OP. I'm just not seeing anything "crazy"--although I will admit that out of the four, the one that I don't really find personally interesting is the negative review of Palin's reality show. Even so, saying something negative about Palin hardly places an article outside the current mainstream range of American discourse.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM

By the way, here is a TR article that makes the Marcellus industry look extremely petty and childish:

Marcellus gas industry could take business away from Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

I assume that proves the TR is a crazy leftist outlet.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM

So start a thread about the Trib, and I'll gladly join in and bash them too. News organizations need to be exposed for their hidden agendas.

"The Trib does it too" is just a childish response to the OP's complaint.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM

That was a joke, at least on my part. Presumably the TR is not in fact hostile to the Marcellus industry, but I was pointing out how easy it is to read an agenda into a news article just because the news in question happens to be disfavorable for a certain group.

My actual point is as stated above: the pieces cited in the OP as examples don't support the assertions in the OP. To the extent one can even extract a conclusion about the political leanings of the PG from those pieces, it wouldn't place the PG outside the mainstream range of political discourse in this country. And at least three of the pieces are on interesting subjects worthy of consideration (again, I personally don't care much about Palin's reality show).

By the way, none of this is to imply that the PG has no editorial viewpoint--I personally think it is impossible to avoid one, and it is well-worth attempting to understand the editorial viewpoint of any given media outlet you may be using as a source for information, analysis, or opinion. I just don't see how these particular pieces support the claim that the PG has become "crazy" or "complete garbage".

Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,718,274 times
The Post-Gazette doesn't run editorials about Obama being the Kenya-born antichrist, therefore they're left-wing loonies.

The reality some people inhabit.

Edit: The P-G endorsed a xxxx-xxxxxxx for governor. Pretty leftist of them.

Edit-edit: I redacted some of that so he wouldn't try to demand my info from city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh