Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 05:26 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,172,679 times

Advertisements

...as a photographer?

j. shipley photography - home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,529,975 times
What else can you say...... he said it all. I would say I'm more into texture and light on how it either shapes or high lights a object....

Old 07-12-2009, 06:10 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,814,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
...as a photographer?

j. shipley photography - home
WOW! That is one awesome video on j. shipley's website!

Have to ponder the answer to your question some more but had to comment on that fantastic video.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
My inspiration as a photographer is somebody the World at large has never heard of, nor really cares that he exists. It is my Father. Everywhere we went as a Family he had a camera with him, and he always carried it at least in the Vehicle he was driving. To work, downtown, out fishing, everywhere. I remember sitting on his lap as he fiddled with the settings, then jotting them down in his notebook so he would know exactly how each photo was taken, and the conditions. The family photo albums are loaded with stunning photos of everywhere we went and everything he saw on a day to day basis. From bugs in the lawn to us kids on the rim of the Grand Canyon or fishing the Columbia River in Oregon. Great people photos and great landscapes. Great macros back when it was a real chore to get them. His equipment was magical to me, and he always had the time to show me how it worked and what each setting did and how it was going to affect the photo. From taking the photos, to developing them in his "darkroom" (better known to the other members of the family as the bathroom), he made the effort to share his views and how to capture them with me. I try, but still fall short of his capabilities with a camera and lens. His touch and knowledge of just how a photo was going to come out before he ever tripped the shutter still amazes me.

That is who my inspiration is, not flashy, not famous, not even known by more than a handful of people outside the immediate family, but a great photographer nevertheless.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:07 PM

2,870 posts, read 3,370,520 times
Talking Photograhers Who Inspire

Great Video; inspirational in and of itself. Who and what inspires me as a someone who, as he said, "Likes to take pictures with my camera" are....

Emotions by JULIA MARGARET CAMERON. At the age of 7 I was introduced to photography through her images... I was mesmerized and I was hooked for life! With my little 110 B&W Film camera, I practiced creating images showing emotions, using light to create a specific mood and playing with different angles to alter the scenery and give different perspectives... always trying to apply what I saw in her images to my own. Forget thinking outside the box, my imagination never even knew the box existed!

In my very early teens, I discovered other photographers who experimented with their tools of the trade, who pushed the limits beyond the accepted rules established by their professional community. Of course broken rules & pushed limits was an attractive inspiration to most teens!
Every Day Life by FRANK MEADOW SUTCLIFFE. I fell in love with capturing what was seen and not just created. This is also when I fell in love with the impossible depth and undeniably tangible sensation of Luminous-Lint.

As an adult exposed to war torn surroundings with bleeding compassion, my inspirations and lessons are found in the images of heart wrenching truths from photographers that I hold immense respect and admiration for, such as DON MCCULLIN, JAMES NACHTWEY and MARK BRECHE.

Ultimately my inspiration is life as it surrounds and carries on around me every day, the stories told, real or imagined in the faces and places I pass on the path of life... no matter where I am in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography