Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,899,171 times

Advertisements

Here's something we'd like to try.

A City-Data Photography contest. Here's how we've planned it, but since this is a first, don't get angry if the rules/process adjusts along the way. This is just for fun but may result in a small prize

OK. The thread you are now reading will be considered an 'Entry Thread', if you want to participate, please post a post to this thread saying 'Count me in!' or 'I'm game'.

We'll leave this thread up through 11:00am 12/12/2007.

At that time, I will close this thread and start a new one with the names entered in a 'poll' format. (I think polls are capped out at 30 entries so if we have more than that we'll have to go on first come-first entered)

When the new thread is started, the ONLY posts that will be able to be there are the photo entries from the participants. No other photos and no 'awesome pics' comments.....just the photographs. (If you are reading that thread and see something other than pics, please report the post so a mod can quickly get the offending post deleted. We don't want comments to skew the vote.)

We'll leave that thread up for a specific amount of time and allow all members to vote in the contest and then tally the votes and announce a winner.

So here's the theme/rules for the first contest:

Theme: Holiday photos (Christmas, wreaths, candles, menorahs, Santa, etc) Something dealing with some aspect of the holiday season we are currently in.

I'm thinking each participant would just submit one photo and it can be color or black and white, with people or without, etc. You have free creative license to submit your ONE photo for this contest. (Future contest may have multiple categories, but I'm still trying to work out the logistics on how to handle the voting for that.)

OK.

I might have to come back and edit this post and/or post revisions but for now, here's the deal:

1. Post your 'entry post' here in this thread, no pictures in this thread please.
2. When the new thread containing all the entries launches, please only those registered in the poll post your 1(one) picture and just your picture. Actually, you can give a title to your picture if you'd like.
3. When the poll closes, the winner will be announced and recognized.
4. All entries must be your own work. If you see something that is not original please DM me and let me know. That's an infractable offense.

Thanks and hope this turns out to be as much fun as I think it can be.

EDIT: Please read through this whole thread for modifications and further details as they have developed since this thread was launched.

EDIT2: I've pulled all the things we've discussed in the thread and added here:
1. No restrictions on dimensions, try and limit file size to 400K, but no one is going to be penalized on file size. If you can size it down, great. If not, don't worry about it.
2. No restrictions on subjects. (people, pets, etc) just the theme must be the December holiday of your choice.
3. Please use new, fresh pics shot recently. Nothing out of your photo stock.
4. You have until Friday morning the 14th@ 10:00am Eastern Time to submit your photo. At that time, the poll will be opened. While submissions can be submitted after that time by registered contestants, you could miss some votes by not having your picture posted by 10:00am.
5. The poll will be open for one week.
6. One picture per contestant. (color, black and white, your choice!)
7. If you know what EXIF data is and you don't mind posting it, please do so. It might help us all become better shots.
8. The prize offered is still up in the air. We're working on a couple of options but again, it's MOSTLY for fun.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-11-2007 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: bolded deadline for entering the contest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:47 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,183,739 times
Kuharai here, first entry. I'll give it a shot.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:50 AM

515 posts, read 1,833,775 times
count me in.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,108,777 times
I'll throw in a pic. Count me in.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,179,703 times
Me too me too!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:10 AM

294 posts, read 1,087,529 times
Count me in

Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,899,171 times
Glad to see you guys are joining!

Question: Do you think leaving this entry thread up for a week is too long? Can you benefit from it and begin looking for your entry?

For future contests, should a week be standard operating procedure?

Thoughts?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 AM

515 posts, read 1,833,775 times
I think a week is good.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:48 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,179,703 times
When does entry thread coming up?? I'll have to start looing for opportunities LOL

Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,384,579 times
Count me in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography