Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,183,790 times

Advertisements

EXIF

Digital cameras save JPEG (.jpg) files with EXIF (Exchangeable Image File) data. Camera settings and scene information are recorded by the camera into the image file.
Examples of stored information are shutter speed, date and time, focal length, exposure compensation, metering pattern and if a flash was used.
Use EXIF as a learning tool

Many camera owners study EXIF to compare successful photos to those that are not. Data provides insight about how camera settings affect photo characteristics such as exposure, depth-of-field and subject movement.
EXIF is read by applications that support JPEGs. They include web browsers, image editing and organizing programs and some printer drivers. The printer drivers use the information to automatically enhance images, which can result in a better looking prints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:21 PM

6,634 posts, read 13,577,771 times
I'm game. Count me in please.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:24 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,222,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
EXIF

Digital cameras save JPEG (.jpg) files with EXIF (Exchangeable Image File) data. Camera settings and scene information are recorded by the camera into the image file.
Examples of stored information are shutter speed, date and time, focal length, exposure compensation, metering pattern and if a flash was used.
Use EXIF as a learning tool

Many camera owners study EXIF to compare successful photos to those that are not. Data provides insight about how camera settings affect photo characteristics such as exposure, depth-of-field and subject movement.
EXIF is read by applications that support JPEGs. They include web browsers, image editing and organizing programs and some printer drivers. The printer drivers use the information to automatically enhance images, which can result in a better looking prints.
After reading all of this, I think by entering this photo contest I'm probably out of my league. My camera isn't that advanced (Polaroid i733) and my photo studio has basic features.

Should I remain entered in the contest?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,904,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
After reading all of this, I think by entering this photo contest I'm probably out of my league. My camera isn't that advanced (Polaroid i733) and my photo studio has basic features.

Please please please don't let that scare you off.

We definitely want everyone to participate.

We don't want anyone to feel 'out of their league'.

There is no league! We're just having fun with this.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:41 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,543,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No, No, that wasn't my intent at all. By new, I'd say something taken within the past 30 days or so. We just don't want some seasoned pro pulling out some thing of beauty they shot back in 1999. It should be something 'fresh' or 'new'....again, you should be shooting now. Or already have the shot.

For those who are know how and are able, EXIF data would be nice, but certainly not a requirement for this contest.

Again, this one is just for 'testing the water'. Let's not make it too complicated. I don't think we're going to kick someone to the curb for posting a pic taken at Thanksgiving. I'm sure, for subsequent contests, the requirements and rules might get more stringent, but for this first contest, let's just have fun and go on honor.

Remember, I for one didn't even know what EXIF was until a few months back. We want savvy photographers and weekend shutterbugs as well as soccer moms with point-and-shoot's too. Everyone should feel comfortable in this contest.

Are we all OK?
^^ Thanks for not making it too complicated! I was thinking maybe I should pull out, but heck, I'm gonna submit my photo still.

My pix is from last week, & I took it myself! I'm not out to win...just want to share my cute shot I captured. There are many amazing photographers that post here, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's photos too.

Alpha, thanks again!

Still not sure about EXIF data, I just post through photobucket...thanks ShepsMom for the info - someday I'll figure it all out.

~~Boo

Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,183,790 times
Quote:

Don't be silly!! This is nothing but jumbo-mumbo. You don't have to understand or know any of it if you're not interested. But please, don't let this scare ya. We're are here for fun of it, we're not here to compete "who's the best of the best" and win a million. If you want to improve your photo skills this is perfect forum, we have few folks here who are willing and able to provide info about this addicting hobby. If you are not looking forward learning any more then you already know, that's perfectly fine. This is for everyone to enjoy and have fun. Please stay and post your best, the more the merrier

Old 12-10-2007, 02:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,130,273 times
Quote:

Heck yeah!!!!!! Stick around, it sounds tough but their just trying to scare ya.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:45 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,222,156 times
I really like posting on the message forum, it's been great so far. When conversation came up of such technological advances, I though maybe I wandered into a room of professionals.

I actually already have my picture capturing the essence of the holiday season for the contest and I'm looking forward to sharing it.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,571,930 times
Quote:

That makes two of us. I have a $29 Kodak digital that I use for my "drive by" pics.
The ones where I simply point and shoot while driving my car. Most of my pics are for the Oklahoma forum threads and are not meant to be in the professional leagues.

Sometimes those spontaneous pictures are the best.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:49 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,904,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
OK. Here's a list I have so far.

Let me know if anyone's missing:

1. ShepsMom
2. ElkHunter
3. FedupWNY
4. ImRandy
5. Inthesierras
6. kdog
7. musincy
8. Matt Angry
9. BuggaBoo2
10. Gizmo980
11. _yb
12. tom62
13. Claire_F
14. TheDragonslayer
15. debey
16. Kuharai
17. atlmburns
18. Wild Style
19. redbird4848
20. Callies Mom
21. grannymontanny
22. warptman

(Those are in no particular order!)
23. MooksterL1
24. TnHilltopper
25. Maine Writer

5 spots left!

Also, when you post, please post your picture, the caption and your name in the post. Don't forget your name IN the post. I thinking of a couple of different ways we can do this, so just make sure it's there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography