Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 05:27 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,098 times

Advertisements

Its obvious to me, from being here for a while now, that we have some very, very talented people here. That being said, I'm curious as to what inspires us, as photographers, in creating the images we do? Is it organic? Or do we really plan, and think about it first? Or is it neither one at all, and just shoot it as it happens and see what comes of it?

Me, I'm a little of the organic, and spur of the moment. I don't really plan a shoot, unless I'm going some place specific, and make note of things I want to see as possible frames of interest. What inspires me most, is nature. Its intrinsic beauty for me, is absolute art. The seasons are perfect works of art, and I'm lucky to live in an area, where I experience all four of them.

For me a photograph, is a moment frozen in time, that will never happen again. Whether its a fabulous sunset, or that first dance as husband and wife, it will never come again....while its my pleasure to capture it, its also my honor to do so as well.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 07:33 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Lovely post, Azkadellia! Couldn't rep you just yet, but I like your outlook and attitude.
I'm sure that contributes to the shots that you take.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:10 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Well Az, I wish I could say that I was as spontaneous, which is what I want to be when I grow up, but for right now, I guess I have to think about it and plan for it. Perhaps it is because for right now, I am conscious about the technical aspects of the photograph, its composition and the workings of my camera. I guess this is one of those undertakings that I have not yet mastered the art of multitasking on so my left-brain inclination is overpowering the right side. Hopefully, as my camera becomes second nature to me, I can just spot the perfect opportunity, capture the moment, and portray the emotion of what I intend for it to portray.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:16 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Kodak Moment for me....even if the camera I presently use is HP

Old 07-19-2008, 08:30 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Western North Carolina inspires me, there is a photograph at every turn. I also get inspired when photographing people, I try to capture the person's personality. And birds, I love to photograph birds.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,168,522 times
Good question Az!
I don't plan anything, i take my camera and i go. But i do pay attention to things, it becomes a second nature. You see things that ordinary people don't find fascinating or interesting. Sometime it's the angle of the shot that you take, or just a part of an object that might represent something. I once took my dogs out and i found pair of old sneakers just laying around, all dirty, i took a picture. Why? I don't know, i found it interesting and thoughts of why and who might have left them there.
Just stuff like that, photography is an art, and you have to find your side of it, because it's very unique to each individual.
I often look through different photographer sites and i constantly amazed at how their minds work

Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,098 times
This would be a good challenge: A series of images, that best show who you are as a photographer.....they would show not only your talent, but your point of view, and inspirations.....(this is starting to sound like Heidi Klum on Project Runway).....

Just a thought...but a neat one.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 PM

33,526 posts, read 37,125,817 times
I have no idea what inspires me, but it seems my best shots, at least the one I like best are unplanned...I see something unusual, as a geometric pattern, or a different view from normal, something out of place, or patterns in nature I want to record it. This is such a hard thing to explain for me....I do see beauty all around me wherever I go.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:40 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,168,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
This would be a good challenge: A series of images, that best show who you are as a photographer.....they would show not only your talent, but your point of view, and inspirations.....(this is starting to sound like Heidi Klum on Project Runway).....

Just a thought...but a neat one.

That's quiet an idea, i really like that and would love to see what others see with their eyes through their work. I don't think this should be a challenge, but a thread of its own. Care to start?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,626 times
My source of inspiration has changed over time. As a younger man I was pretty active, and found myself saying "Man, I wish I had a camera... no body is gonna believe we did this". Or even the old stand-by saying was uttered out of my mouth " How come you never have a camera when you need one?". Then, as I mellowed a tad, I started seeing instead of looking. I am almost sure this happens to everyone who gets bit by the photo bug, regardless of your technical expertise. You start to really see... as opposed to just looking. When this happened to me I started to see excellence in other peoples photo's that I did not see in mine. For instance, I have read where the average photograph (like in a magazine) will get an 8 second view at best. I find myself looking for at least a minute at a picture when the subject matter is of my liking. I am doing my best to dissect all those tangibles we talk about on here... but that is after the fact. I think now my inspiration comes from noticing beauty in the average and the complexity in the simple things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography