Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 02:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

where is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
where is that?
Goa (India)

Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Taken from the locomotive of a moving freight train... (a few minutes before we went over that bridge in front of the waterfalls)
Zowie! I can't even come up with enough superlatives for this one. What a beautiful place. Nice photo, EG - and from a moving train, no less!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Thank you!

That place is amazingly beautiful. I don't think the photograph does justice to the greenery (it is, technically, a rainforest). And we were fortunate that the freight train driver agreed to give us a ride (and we rode back the distance in a caboose of another freight train... even better view! The original plan was to take a taxi (off road), which is technically the only practical way to get there and the taxis go over rivers and dense forests for 7-8 miles, to the base of the waterfalls. Unfortunately, we were misinformed at our hotel (that the taxis were running), instead they were off since the rivers weren't passable on 4x4s that operate there.

The other, less practical, option is to hike along the tracks, which can be fun but tiring and requires time (about 10 miles round trip), through dozens of tunnels as well, and then I'd read about some very friendly leach populations to deal with.

So, when the friendly small town railway staff arranged for the adventure, we couldn't be happier. The driver had even promised to let us know if he got the signal to stop near the falls (he was in the lead loco, ahead of us). They usually don't due to a steep incline on the way out as the five or so locomotives doing the job may need more than they can deliver.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

So, when the friendly small town railway staff arranged for the adventure, we couldn't be happier. The driver had even promised to let us know if he got the signal to stop near the falls (he was in the lead loco, ahead of us). They usually don't due to a steep incline on the way out as the five or so locomotives doing the job may need more than they can deliver.
Sounds like a great trip! I usually prefer hiking to get better experience and adventure if I have time, but I think riding the local freight train beats that.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Another point and shooter off a moving train... this time traveling from Mumbai to Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sounds like a great trip! I usually prefer hiking to get better experience and adventure if I have time, but I think riding the local freight train beats that.
In many ways it did. Here's my "view" from the locomotive as the train was approaching one of the nearly two dozen tunnels in that 15 mile ride. And here's going thru a tunnel while we were returning sitting (outside) in a caboose of the other freight train. A hike along the tracks would be really interesting but with frequent trains and a single track, there isn't much room to move around and with thick vegetation on both sides, most of the hike would be walking right on the tracks (those track ballasts make it difficult, and the only rescue would be to do the balancing act on the rails or keep the step on concrete sleepers).

Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Sub par weather conditions the other day when I went to test my latest acquisition, a 1956 Minolta Autocord.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM

Default Vagator Beach, Goa (India)

Old 11-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Default The Thames, London (UK)

Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography