Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,211,184 times

Advertisements

This is off topic but I don't want to start a new thread just to say what I have to say; several times I have come to the Photography board only to see the page full of posts by a single poster, one day there was actually 2 full pages of threads where the last photo posted in every thread was by the same person. Just wanna say whenever I run into this situation I simply click on "Forum Tools" and then click on "Mark this forum read" from the drop down list....I may be missing some great work by doing this but c'est la vie!

Thanks for allowing me to rant lol!

Last edited by meson; 05-21-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM

2,870 posts, read 3,372,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
As far as rules go, I'm not sure what you mean.
No worries,,, what the weird part to me was that within the 2 posts per member as many pix per post are allowed... just gave me a flash back to part of another thread that specified only one or two pix per post and not to post more than that in a single post... that's all... no biggie! .

Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,857,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
It might help all of us on the learning process if posters can add a short blurb on what technique is being illustrated in the photo... so what about the shot makes it a good shot, if it isn't easily seen. Why did you compose it that way? Why did you shoot it at that angle? Why is it that noisy, or is the noise added on purpose...did you saturate selectively? Why or why not? And the list goes on...
Very good points. There could be a little description about the intent (and details including EXIF) following the posted photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2cme View Post
No worries,,, what the weird part to me was that within the 2 posts per member as many pix per post are allowed... just gave me a flash back to part of another thread that specified only one or two pix per post and not to post more than that in a single post... that's all... no biggie! .
Sometimes we might have multiple ideas (like I do at the moment for the latest assignment), and will have the opportunity to share them all in one or two posts. The two post limit is a way to close the thread for those who have already contributed, still leaving it open for new members and those who are still in the process of thinking or haven't had the opportunity to post.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,826,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
This is off topic but I don't want to start a new thread just to say what I have to say; several times I have come to the Photography board only to see the page full of posts by a single poster, one day there was actually 2 full pages of threads where the last photo posted in every thread was by the same person. Just wanna say whenever I run into this situation I simply click on "Forum Tools" and then click on "Mark this forum read" from the drop down list....I may be missing some great work by doing this but c'est la vie!

Thanks for allowing me to rant lol!
I "hear" you, Meson and totally understand. But, yes, you ARE missing some great work in some of those threads.

What frustrates me is that someone can just post 1-3 excellent pics, only to return a few moments later and find the threads already on page 3 because of the very thing you're talking about.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I "hear" you, Meson and totally understand. But, yes, you ARE missing some great work in some of those threads.

What frustrates me is that someone can just post 1-3 excellent pics, only to return a few moments later and find the threads already on page 3 because of the very thing you're talking about.
Maybe the people who feel the need to post in every single thread in a matter of minutes or hours should start their own thread just for their photos....just a thought.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,914,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Maybe the people who feel the need to post in every single thread in a matter of minutes or hours should start their own thread just for their photos....just a thought.
There's a place for that in the CD Forum. It's called Albums. People can view a particular poster's photos if they want to and can go directly there if they so choose. I had so many photos of flowers that I felt it was better to create an album and then insert the link within the post.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
There's a place for that in the CD Forum. It's called Albums. People can view a particular poster's photos if they want to and can go directly there if they so choose. I had so many photos of flowers that I felt it was better to create an album and then insert the link within the post.
Yeah I forgot about that option, good plan!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 AM

2,870 posts, read 3,372,970 times
Question Who Are You & What Did You Do With The Photographers?

In response to the current dialog I must respectfully disagree. To suggest that all who enter the photography forum should be restricted from exploring everything that it has to offer or not to share when they are inspired by others, or that they should be limited in what time frame they may interact within the forum is contrary to the purpose CDF.

The implication given is that this is a place of exclusivity & creative limitations. Do those things belong in an artistic forum that should encourage exploration & expression? Isn’t that what Photography is all about? Photography a great equalizer, it is all inclusive to the new & to the old. This forum is richly endowed with a magnificent variety of threads with incredible posts that are from today to many years ago all just waiting to surprise, inspire & teach us.

Why would anyone want to limit access to inspiration & knowledge? The technologies may change over time, but the artistic creativity remains constant & true.

I agree that the member album is a great resource for those who want to see a more complete display of work from one person as an extension of curiosity from the forum. However, if photos were only published in the albums, then there would be no need for a photography forum; instead we would all have to randomly search member's albums one at a time.

Luckily we do have a photography forum that is all about sharing, communicating thoughts, ideas, moods & phases through the explicit use of photographic images & words about those images as well as guiding, educating and helping fellow lovers of the same craft.

Nowhere in the Terms of Service does it state that anyone is limited to post solely to current threads, that the numbers of threads posted to per day are limited or that the content posted must be from a specific time frame, excluding all that is not new or fresh.

Try telling the Games forum that they can only play 12 games & that it must be the same 12 games day after day! Or that the Music forum must listen to & discuss the same 6 songs every day. Sound mundane & repetitive? So why would photography be any different? I hope you get the picture. (no pun intended!)

Come on, we're photographers not forum controlling trolls; lets challenge ourselves to extend past our comfort zone into threads yet unknown!

If that doesn't sound appealing & there is contentment in visiting only favorite threads, that's ok too... simply utilize the subscribe feature & bypass the 'last post' sort all together! Brilliantly, the owners of CDF designed it so that everyone's style is well accommodated.

Last edited by x2cme; 05-22-2009 at 01:19 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 06:08 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,914,550 times
x2cme - it's a fine line between freedom of expression and exercising some consideration for others. What you are doing, while not a TOS violation, is making it hard for others who like yourself want their work seen. Those who want to see those people's work would have to work harder to get to those posts, manipulate their settings, etc. Isn't that a bit selfish of you? Why are you deliberately making it harder for others to be able to showcase their work by taking up the frontline of every thread? It's like having someone reserve your place at 10 cash registers in the supermarket.

Let me ask you the same question you had asked in your post above: Who are you and what did you do to the photographers?

This is my opinion, and I'm done here.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 05-22-2009 at 06:26 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 AM

18,132 posts, read 11,775,427 times
City-Data is not an online storage site, which I feel is being abused. You can post all of your excessive photographs in Photobucket and place a link in your profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography