Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times

Advertisements

Where is the closest mountain river for trout fishing?

Tx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Where is the closest mountain river for trout fishing?

Tx
Salt River below Stewart Mountain dam (Saguaro Lake). 15-90 minutes from PHX depending on where you live.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 AM

awesome, thank you....

actually.......is this map right?
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=Sa...SS&id=14028295

Last edited by algia; 04-19-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
awesome, thank you....

actually.......is this map right?
Map of Saguaro Lake in Fort McDowell, Arizona by MapQuest
That's the spot. The river is stocked in summer. On weekends there are too many tubers, but weekdays are OK. It gets hot in summer, but there are many large cottonwoods along the banks and you can alway jump in the water. Saguaro Lake gets trout in winter, so you can go there when the river drys up. Otherwise the closest would be streams below the Rim N/NE of Payson. Most trout fishing here is in lakes and there are many that get trout plants in summer. The mountain lakes get rainbows and some higher up have populations of browns as well. In winter, there are lakes right in town that have trout in the Urban Fishing Program. The best (not so much for the trout but for the scenery) fly/stream fishing IMO is on the Black River way up in the White Mountains. The Apache Reservation also has many trout lakes and there is a native trout species that can be caught there as well.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's the spot. The river is stocked in summer. On weekends there are too many tubers, but weekdays are OK. It gets hot in summer, but there are many large cottonwoods along the banks and you can alway jump in the water. Otherwise the closest would be streams below the Rim N/NE of Payson. Most trout fishing here is in lakes and there are many that get trout plants in summer. The mountain lakes get rainbows and some higher up have populations of browns as well. In winter, there are lakes right in town that have trout in the Urban Fishing Program. The best (not so much for the trout but for the scenery) fly/stream fishing IMO is on the Black River way up in the White Mountains. The Apache Reservation also has many trout lakes and there is a native trout species that can be caught there as well.
There's some really good Trout fishing up here in the Verde Valley in Oak Creek. We also have a Trout "farm" near Cornville. There's another one up past Payson on Tonto Creek. I used to see people taking some really big ones out of there when I worked at Kohl's Ranch.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM

Awesome...judging by the pics of the Black River in the White Mountains looks exactly like the one I used to go with my dad back in Europe when I was little.......loved it...and also smoked Trout (rainbow) yummyyyy....

I noticed tho that some Indian reservations are off limits....why is that?
Thank you...

Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
There's some really good Trout fishing up here in the Verde Valley in Oak Creek. We also have a Trout "farm" near Cornville. There's another one up past Payson on Tonto Creek. I used to see people taking some really big ones out of there when I worked at Kohl's Ranch.
Yes, I forgot to mention Oak Creek. Gorgeous scenery too.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Awesome...judging by the pics of the Black River in the White Mountains looks exactly like the one I used to go with my dad back in Europe when I was little.......loved it...and also smoked Trout (rainbow) yummyyyy....

I noticed tho that some Indian reservations are off limits....why is that?
Thank you...
Indian Rez is sovereign lands; they make their own rules. They allow and encourage fishing on tribal waters but you have to buy a permit from them. Some of their lakes are off limits at certain times or altogether because of the native trout species they are trying to protect or for other management reasons.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 AM

cool....my list of things to do while there is so long right now that I think it will take us a year only to go around AZ not counting other trips around in NV, CA, UT etc....gotta love it. I for one can't wait.....

aaaaa I see, (about the Indian rez)...

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes, I forgot to mention Oak Creek. Gorgeous scenery too.
Beautiful, yes! I have a 'secret spot' in Cornville where we've pulled out some really nice Rainbows. But I found out the 'hard way' you have to go at a certain time of day or they'll just lay there and ignore you! I have actually bonked them on the head with my bait and they don't pay a lick of attention. We also have some pretty big Catfish in the Verde River but I am NOT a fan of Catfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area