Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 AM

58 posts, read 242,268 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have been a PE teacher for 3 years and Phoenix was one of the areas I was looking at relocating to.

I have noticed in my 3 years applying for teaching jobs across the country that Arizona never seems to have any openings? I usually use School Spring and sometimes teachers-teachers. Does Arizona really have no openings considering how big Phoenix is? Or do the schools there not post the job openings and you have to apply to each one separately? I noticed School Spring pretty much takes jobs from the Department of Education site for each state, so pretty much all teaching jobs are listed on there which is more convenient.

Anyways, I am just looking for the outlook on jobs for the 2010-2011 year especially for Physical Education before I pay for the AZ teaching certificate.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Schools are pretty strapped right now, and the funding here is never good to start with. I'm not surprised that you don't see many, or any, openings. Many, like you, want to come here, and the education colleges are putting out new teachers all the time.

I know nothing about how or where the districts here post openings, since there are so many districts in Phoenix, I would imagine that looking and applying individually would be a lot of work.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,732 times
Your observations of not having many school positions in AZ right now is accurate. The state is going thru a tremendous budget deficit nightmare that is closing schools and getting rid of numerous teachers. Dont know about many other states, but education is always the first thing cut in AZ when financial times get tough. BTW, even in 'good' times, teachers in AZ are among the lowest paid in the country. You also may not know this but AZ ranks dead last--50th--in education in SAT/ACT scores, graduation rates and spending per pupil. Education is just not a priority in AZ. Your best bet may be to look at other states. Highly suggested!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Your observations of not having many school positions in AZ right now is accurate. The state is going thru a tremendous budget deficit nightmare that is closing schools and getting rid of numerous teachers. Dont know about many other states, but education is always the first thing cut in AZ when financial times get tough. BTW, even in 'good' times, teachers in AZ are among the lowest paid in the country. You also may not know this but AZ ranks dead last--50th--in education in SAT/ACT scores, graduation rates and spending per pupil. Education is just not a priority in AZ. Your best bet may be to look at other states. Highly suggested!
Arizona is not dead last in SAT scores...This was a report from August 2009. It states "Arizona's scores remained above the national average, for one thing. And the College Board, which develops and publishes the three-part test, said average scores nationwide, and in Arizona, are falling because a more diverse group of students is taking the test."

SAT scores in Arizona on decline

Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Arizona is not dead last in SAT scores...This was a report from August 2009. It states "Arizona's scores remained above the national average, for one thing. And the College Board, which develops and publishes the three-part test, said average scores nationwide, and in Arizona, are falling because a more diverse group of students is taking the test."

SAT scores in Arizona on decline
excuses. excuses. excuses.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 AM

845 posts, read 2,326,976 times
I just got my Fingerprint Card in the mail. That took 6 weeks and 75 USD. I'm not optimistic about school jobs, and I am holding off on my TL, until I am offered employment.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
excuses. excuses. excuses.
So, give us the link to the study you are talking about.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:11 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears0909 View Post
Hi All,

I have been a PE teacher for 3 years and Phoenix was one of the areas I was looking at relocating to.

I have noticed in my 3 years applying for teaching jobs across the country that Arizona never seems to have any openings? I usually use School Spring and sometimes teachers-teachers. Does Arizona really have no openings considering how big Phoenix is? Or do the schools there not post the job openings and you have to apply to each one separately? I noticed School Spring pretty much takes jobs from the Department of Education site for each state, so pretty much all teaching jobs are listed on there which is more convenient.

Anyways, I am just looking for the outlook on jobs for the 2010-2011 year especially for Physical Education before I pay for the AZ teaching certificate.

Thanks!!
I a former Arizona teacher. I was axed during the last round of budget cuts. I never found another job. My certification area is elementary. There are few elementary jobs and even fewer PE jobs. Some schools did eliminate PE, art, and music during the last round of budget cuts. I personally know of an art teacher who was laid off and never found work.

If you want a job in AZ, I would consider the reservations, towns within a 10 mile radius of the Mexican border, and the ghettos of Phoenix and Tucson. Some charter schools do have a few openings, but even the charter schools will have 50-100 applicants for one job. PE jobs probably have more than 50-100 applicants.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,163 times
Quote:
Actually, as of 2008, Arizona was ranked 49th in education spending. Mississippi was last. It was in a report that my school gave us at the beginning of the school year last year.

Education is not typically a priority in AZ. There are many parents who just didn't seem to care about anything going on in the schools. I did have some parents who were really good though. Even though pay was low here, I did seem to be able to make ends meet. I was never able to buy a house or anything like that. I did pay off my car loan.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:13 PM

845 posts, read 2,326,976 times
but, if you meet the ASU and U of A Grads, who also grew up here; they are clones of their East Coast counterparts. They don't speak like they attended ghetto schools at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area