Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,113 times

Advertisements

I am sure this question has been answered in the past but I couldnt find it, so I am sorry if I am repeating a topic! I currently live in PA but I am relocating to Chandler Arizona the end of June. I have just applied for my arizona teachingCertification. I would love to have a job by next school year, but dont know if its possible because I am not moving there until June. Does anyone know the best way to apply to districts even though I am from another state? Should I just wait until I am actually living there? If you have any other information that you think would help me I would really appreciate it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:23 PM

136 posts, read 366,567 times
I am sure you will have no problem finding a job. I live in Illinois and will also be moving down to Arizona in June to teach. I filled out the online applications with the districts that I was interested in, then I e-mailed the principal or the HR director at the specific schools. I was actually hired at a job fair here in Illinois, but I have received many phone calls from different districts wanting to do a phone interview.
I accepted a position with the Maricopa school district. It is only about a 20-30 minute drive from Chandler. They are opening 2 new elementary schools and a new middle school next year and are hireing MANY new teachers. If you are interested, go to the link I provided below. On the left of the page there is a link for Open Positions at MUSD. After fill out the application e-mail your resume and application to Heidi Fawcett. She is the director of HR and the one who hired me. There is a link for her e-mail on that page as well.
Home (broken link)

Even if you are not interested in Maricopa, there are many other districts in that area that are hiring and they are all willing to do an interview over the phone and even offer you the job over the phone, so I would definitely apply before you move.
Good Luck

Old 03-27-2008, 03:14 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times
Wow. I'd like to offer my condolances to both of you. This place treats teachers like crap.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Wow. I'd like to offer my condolances to both of you. This place treats teachers like crap.
What do they do or not do for their teachers in Arizona that is so bad? They have the same starting pay range as here in Illinois, they have health insurance and the same payed three months off in the summer. Everyone that I have talked to in the district so far has seemed really nice and helpful. I know I have not taught there before so I can't give much of an opinion. I'm just wondering because I have heard that from more than one person, but I can't see why people say that.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:24 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,315 times
Quote:
Name a place in the USA that treats teachers good....

Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Name a place in the USA that treats teachers good....
Very true! But, I don't think there is career out there that is perfect. If they treat teachers poorly everywhere, I would rather be treated poorly in an area that doesn't have snow! Haha! It's the end of March and I can't even see my neighbor's house the snow is falling so heavy.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
I am sure you will have no problem finding a job. I live in Illinois and will also be moving down to Arizona in June to teach. I filled out the online applications with the districts that I was interested in, then I e-mailed the principal or the HR director at the specific schools. I was actually hired at a job fair here in Illinois, but I have received many phone calls from different districts wanting to do a phone interview.
I accepted a position with the Maricopa school district. It is only about a 20-30 minute drive from Chandler. They are opening 2 new elementary schools and a new middle school next year and are hireing MANY new teachers. If you are interested, go to the link I provided below. On the left of the page there is a link for Open Positions at MUSD. After fill out the application e-mail your resume and application to Heidi Fawcett. She is the director of HR and the one who hired me. There is a link for her e-mail on that page as well.
Home (broken link)

Even if you are not interested in Maricopa, there are many other districts in that area that are hiring and they are all willing to do an interview over the phone and even offer you the job over the phone, so I would definitely apply before you move.
Good Luck
Thank you so much!!! I wasnt sure if they would do phone interviews or not, but I am going to apply. Congratulations on the job!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
What do they do or not do for their teachers in Arizona that is so bad? They have the same starting pay range as here in Illinois, they have health insurance and the same payed three months off in the summer. Everyone that I have talked to in the district so far has seemed really nice and helpful. I know I have not taught there before so I can't give much of an opinion. I'm just wondering because I have heard that from more than one person, but I can't see why people say that.
Look at the yearly increases and the stipends for extra work. You could run high school football and have ten years experience and I doubt you would break $40,000. Not bad but housing costs are overinflated and you will probably have to drive a long way to work. You'd be better off managing a Starbucks. Benefits are also poor. Union is weak. Classes are overcrowded (even in "good" districts they are 30+ because they do not build fast enough) the parents care even less than anywhere else I've been. Administration is useless (yes I know this one is very relative, but all they care about is NCLB and AIMS, nothing about their employees I've never seen it so bad)

You can do better than this place, even if you don't like snow I'm sure you can find better. At least places that will help with professional development and want the teachers to be a part of the community.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:16 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,171,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Look at the yearly increases and the stipends for extra work. You could run high school football and have ten years experience and I doubt you would break $40,000. Not bad but housing costs are overinflated and you will probably have to drive a long way to work. You'd be better off managing a Starbucks. Benefits are also poor. Union is weak. Classes are overcrowded (even in "good" districts they are 30+ because they do not build fast enough) the parents care even less than anywhere else I've been. Administration is useless (yes I know this one is very relative, but all they care about is NCLB and AIMS, nothing about their employees I've never seen it so bad)

You can do better than this place, even if you don't like snow I'm sure you can find better. At least places that will help with professional development and want the teachers to be a part of the community.
What's interesting is I know a woman who will be starting her 5th year teaching, with a MA+, making $52k, with after school tutoring making $56k total. It pays to get more education!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
What's interesting is I know a woman who will be starting her 5th year teaching, with a MA+, making $52k, with after school tutoring making $56k total. It pays to get more education!
Very surprising if that is in AZ. What district is it in? How much is housing in the area?

I know a guy that has a masters and only got $40K a year and was running the marching band. Thats after school and Saturdays!

It does not always pay to get more education. Look at salary schedules in most districts in the state. Then look at cost of living in those areas. Arizona compared to a lot of states is pretty lousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area