Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 18,616 times

Advertisements

Which is better? Queen Creek or Gilbert? We are planning a relocation to the area-we used to live in Scottsdale about 10 years ago. We will be renting for a few years before buying and it seems like Queen Creek has a lot of affordable housing. Why though? It is dangerous? I am a bit concerned about this as I am not familiar with that area. I know that Gilbert is nice and is very family oriented, but still wondering about Queen Creek?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Queen Creek is cheap because it's a newer community (think sprawl) and because it's so far from phx. Usually the further you are from phx the cheaper the housing (like in most large cities). It's something like 50 miles from phx. I would pick Gilbert over Queen Creek.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:58 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,965 times
The only positive that QC has over Gilbert is a lower housing cost. To me, the negatives - distance from Phoenix, lack of commercial options, overall not good school system, tremendous growth over the next few years, constant road construction and the fact that you have to drive so far to even just go to Target - far outweigh the positives of finding a cheaper house. That's just me though. If you don't have to commute downtown and don't mind driving a lot, and don't have to worry about schools, QC may be an option for you.

There are many posts on both cities on this forum if you do a search.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseyorkie View Post
Which is better? Queen Creek or Gilbert? We are planning a relocation to the area-we used to live in Scottsdale about 10 years ago. We will be renting for a few years before buying and it seems like Queen Creek has a lot of affordable housing. Why though? It is dangerous? I am a bit concerned about this as I am not familiar with that area. I know that Gilbert is nice and is very family oriented, but still wondering about Queen Creek?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The unincorporated area in Pinal County known as QC is high density. If you get in on the north end around Ironwood Rd north of Ocotillo, it's about 8 miles south of Apache Junction. Add another 8 miles south to Johnson Ranch. Way too many miles of 2 lane roads left. There is shopping down south (Fry's at Bella Vista and Hunt Hwy for example) and if you went as far south as Anthem at Merrill Ranch, the WalMart in Coolidge is actually closer and a much faster drive than the one in AJ or east Mesa. The Town of Queen Creek has some high end homes, horse properties and is in Maricopa County so property taxes are less.

Just consider where you'll be working before deciding where to live. Anthem at Merrill Ranch is the nicest development down there. IF you have to commute towards Phoenix, at least Anthem is close to a couple rural highways (SR287/87 and SR79), which can cut your travel time to the Mesa/Phoenix/Chandler/Gilbert areas.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
The only positive that QC has over Gilbert is a lower housing cost. To me, the negatives - distance from Phoenix, lack of commercial options, overall not good school system, tremendous growth over the next few years, constant road construction and the fact that you have to drive so far to even just go to Target - far outweigh the positives of finding a cheaper house. That's just me though. If you don't have to commute downtown and don't mind driving a lot, and don't have to worry about schools, QC may be an option for you.

There are many posts on both cities on this forum if you do a search.
We too are debating between Queen Creek/Chandler/Gilbert. It seems to me though, that although Queen Creek has long commutes to downtown, stores ect... that it wont be that way forever. It seems to be developing, and one could pay a lower price for a larger house now... and then in about 5 years time, that house would be worth much more, and Queen Creek will be much more built up with stores, restaurants, ect. I think that areas like Queen Creek are worth it to buy into, if you think of it as a long term investment. Although it might seem isolated now... I think it will be better in 2-3 years time.

Anyone else agree with my theory?

Old 05-30-2007, 05:24 AM

17 posts, read 92,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
We too are debating between Queen Creek/Chandler/Gilbert. It seems to me though, that although Queen Creek has long commutes to downtown, stores ect... that it wont be that way forever. It seems to be developing, and one could pay a lower price for a larger house now... and then in about 5 years time, that house would be worth much more, and Queen Creek will be much more built up with stores, restaurants, ect. I think that areas like Queen Creek are worth it to buy into, if you think of it as a long term investment. Although it might seem isolated now... I think it will be better in 2-3 years time.

Anyone else agree with my theory?

While your theory makes sense, it is usually safer to base an investment on fact rather than theory alone. Here is a listing of development projects from the Town of Queen Creek website:
Commercial Development Update - Town of Queen Creek (broken link)

For the OP: Since you used to live in Scottsdale, you can understand that comparing Gilbert to Queen Creek is rather like comparing Scottsdale to Rio Verde or Carefree. They really can't be compared because they are completely different animals. You may wish to visit the area before signing a rental contract, as it may or may not fit your desired living environment.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:57 AM

165 posts, read 405,770 times
People move out to QC for the lower cost homes. However, when you factor in commute costs, I don't know that the price is that much lower. There are other reasons you may want QC, but lower costs homes may not be the best. With the current gas prices, the extra 40 or so miles round trip every day starts to eat into your budget. You also have additional wear / tear on your vehicles, which means you will likely need to replace them sooner. Then, you have to factor in the time that is lost each day during that extra commute. With all of those, leaving in QC may not be as inexpensive as one would initially think.

I used to live in QC, and it is a very nice place. However, we were in Johnson Ranch, and at the time, there was really very little in the area for us. We have since moved to Gilbert and have been very happy with the closer proximity to Phoenix and other amenities.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAllUCanB View Post
While your theory makes sense, it is usually safer to base an investment on fact rather than theory alone. Here is a listing of development projects from the Town of Queen Creek website:
Commercial Development Update - Town of Queen Creek (broken link)

For the OP: Since you used to live in Scottsdale, you can understand that comparing Gilbert to Queen Creek is rather like comparing Scottsdale to Rio Verde or Carefree. They really can't be compared because they are completely different animals. You may wish to visit the area before signing a rental contract, as it may or may not fit your desired living environment.

Thank you for the info. It is very good to have. I really appreciate it, great website.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 10,421 times
I live in Johnson Ranch and bought my home there about 3 years ago for 100k. I just had it appraised at 325k. The aggravation I have endured with roads and commutes are near their end. It was well worth the wait. With the opening of more lanes on Ironwood my commute time has been slashed drastically. Ironwood is just about done except by Baseline and that will be done in the spring. Also the 202 from 60 to the 101 is almost done. That will make it a 1 hour and 15 minute commute from Bella Vista to Tatum and Bell where I work. I agree that QC school system is overcrowded and a lot of kids are bussed to (Shivers) Florence. You don't want to send your kids to Florence. I chose an alternate school in Gilbert (a charter school) and the bus picks them up. I will eventually retire here. I have 3 times the home that I could have gotten in Gilbert and paid 1/3 the price. Why we even got some eatin places poppin up. (smile) I love it out here in the boonies.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:34 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissAM View Post
I live in Johnson Ranch and bought my home there about 3 years ago for 100k. I just had it appraised at 325k. The aggravation I have endured with roads and commutes are near their end. It was well worth the wait. With the opening of more lanes on Ironwood my commute time has been slashed drastically. Ironwood is just about done except by Baseline and that will be done in the spring. Also the 202 from 60 to the 101 is almost done. That will make it a 1 hour and 15 minute commute from Bella Vista to Tatum and Bell where I work. I agree that QC school system is overcrowded and a lot of kids are bussed to (Shivers) Florence. You don't want to send your kids to Florence. I chose an alternate school in Gilbert (a charter school) and the bus picks them up. I will eventually retire here. I have 3 times the home that I could have gotten in Gilbert and paid 1/3 the price. Why we even got some eatin places poppin up. (smile) I love it out here in the boonies.
I would caution you to consider that, while maybe your house was appraised at 325K, it's only really worth what a buyer will pay for it. I've looked at many models in that area - mostly in San Tan Heights, but also out at Johnson Ranch and new construction is incredibly cheap now. Resales are sitting for months and months. It's incredibly tough to sell in Queen Creek right now.

The fact that you love it and plan to live there for years and years is great so resale isn't a concern for you right now. However, I encourage other people to consider the big picture when looking in Queen Creek, including current lack of infrastructure, commercial options and commute times in addition to the fact that builders will be building out there for many years to come so you'll be competing with builders and their incentives if you need to sell any time soon. It's not just all about just getting a cheap house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area