Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:13 PM

51 posts, read 86,065 times

Advertisements

How would you differentiate these communities (other than commute times)?

Things like:
- School Systems for HS grade
- Things to do
- Active community
- Age mix
- Public areas (parks)
- types of retail? (home depot, grocery, kohls, small local biz, movies, etc)
- organization of town gov't
- friendliness of community
- proximity of your neighbors -- crowding?

Any info would be great..... thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM

78 posts, read 229,189 times
They are all pretty much the same. I live in San Tan Valley. It is quiet, very little crime, friendly neighbors, lots of family-friendly parks and community recreation, TONs of new schools going up everytime you turn around, young families, lots of kids. I like it. Be prepared for a drive. I don't mind the drive and it is a heck of alot better thna it was 6 years ago when we first moved out here, but if you like to be 5 minutes form everything you will go nuts out here. Your everyday shopping is close... groceries, Kohl's, Home Depot, kids extra-curricular activities like karate and music lessons, and my beloved BevMo are all within a couple of minutes. Movie theaters and malls are about 15 minutes away, close enough to be convenient but far enough away so that the traffic doesn't drive thru my neighborhood. The big thing we really lack is nightlife. I don'd need meat market clubs (I did that in my 20's) but it would be nice if there were a few good bars to visit on those rare occasions when we are able to secure a babysiter!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Gilbert >>>> Queen Creek > San Tan Valley. That is the order.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 14,535 times
if you want to spend money: Gilbert >Queen Creek>San Tan
if you want to invest in the future: San Tan>Queen Creek>Gilbert
if you want prestige: Gilbert>Queen=San tan

houses in san tan are very cheap because of the economy, not because of the quality of neighborhood...

Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 PM

78 posts, read 229,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.fer64 View Post
if you want to spend money: Gilbert >Queen Creek>San Tan
if you want to invest in the future: San Tan>Queen Creek>Gilbert
if you want prestige: Gilbert>Queen=San tan

houses in san tan are very cheap because of the economy, not because of the quality of neighborhood...

Where in San Tan do you live?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
Default What's in San Tan Valley?

I have a possible job lead in San Tan Valley. I currently live in a small, but crime ridden, city in Michigan. It doesn't have a lot to offer (nothing within easy walking distance) but there are some decent amenities within two miles, and the "business district" is across town, but I can take the express way there in about 15 minutes. However, even there places are closing left and right.

I'm not necessarily a city girl, but not country mouse either. Can you tell me what's actually IN San Tan Valley as opposed to Queen Creek (although I believe they are quite close).

I know it's not Utopia, and would require a huge adjustment, but I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have to shop online or drive 45 minutes to Chandler frequently.

For example, Target, a book store, farmer's markets (a Whole Foods and Costco would be great, but I don't even have that here so it's not something I would miss.), a mall (specifically Macy's), restaurants (favorites are too numerous to list), a 24 hour gym? A movie theatre is about all the night life I need. Do you have Redbox out there? I know it's a million questions, and I have a million more, so any input you can give is much appreciated. I tried Google, but I've found it's not the most up to date resource.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
If you wanted to live in Gilbert, then Power Ranch is in the south east corner and commuting eastbound to San Tan would be against the normal westbound commute.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
I have only driven through San Tan Valley once, so I'm certainly no expert, but San Tan Valley is essentially "Queen Creek" but in Pinal county and not Maricopa. There are some stores and dining in San Tan Valley (forget what exactly off the top of my head), but it is not much. However, Queen Creek, which is a very, very short drive away, has quite a bit more. As Captain Bill mentions, SE Gilbert and also SE Chandler are pretty close.
That whole area is new suburbs mixed with some agriculture. It's very up-and-coming, but like pretty much all the up-and-coming suburbs here, it has been slowed significantly by the housing crash. The crime is pretty low. I doubt you'll have to drive 45 minutes for shopping anywhere out that way, unless you want the ultra-high-end stores of Scottsdale. Depending on where you are and what stores you going to, a 10-25 minute drive might not be out of the question. Then again, depending on the neighborhood you choose, you may find yourself within walking distance.
If you have the chance, I'd definitely recommend coming for a visit to check out the area for yourself.
Good luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:16 PM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
Macy's is about as high end as I get, and that's only because they carry my skin care line. Google maps has Chandler, Florence, and Gilbert as being 45 minutes away. Must be to the city center and not the southern borders, I can live with 10-25 minute commutes.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Macy's is about as high end as I get, and that's only because they carry my skin care line. Google maps has Chandler, Florence, and Gilbert as being 45 minutes away. Must be to the city center and not the southern borders, I can live with 10-25 minute commutes.
I can't comment on the specific commute from/to San Tan Valley, but it takes me about 45 minutes from far-southwest-Goodyear to Scottsdale (during non-rush hour times). I have a real hard time believing it would take 45 minutes to get from San Tan Valley to Chandler. But maybe it's from what part to what part at what time. I have no idea.
But if you lived in SE Gilbert, SE Chandler or even Queen Creek, you'd only be 10 or 15 minutes from San Tan Valley and you'd be 10 or 15 minutes closer to whatever you want to be closer to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area