Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 PM

617 posts, read 2,821,619 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! SO... the hubby and I thought we had a final decision on Salt Lake city for our big move back to the U.S. However... my husband has recently been expressing that he can't stand the sight of snow, and isn't sure he would handle the winters there. SO.... I just wanted to enquire about the best Phoenix suburb? My husband says he would want to live in Scottsdale, or Mesa. I have heard Chandler or Gilbert are good for young families. We will be renting an apartment for two years while we save for a house, and we would ideally like to rent in the same/similar area of a city that we will eventually buy in.

So what is a good area for a young growing family? We want to get into a good starter home, 3-4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. We don't want to pay over 290,000, and we would like to live in a safe area. We don't mind an older neighborhood, as long as it's a safe one!!

Any advice would be great. I'm not interested in being talked out of living in the Phoenix area, don't tell me how dirty and disgusting it is, I know all the gruesome details. I just want the facts about which suburbs might suit us best. We already know that people say there is a lack of structure to the city of Phoenix, and it doesn't really have a "feel" to it. Frankly, we don't care. I would consider a Phoenix suburb, simply because it's not a major drive to my parents' home in L.A, and I can wear summer clothes year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 03:30 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
So your going to rent an apt for two years, and then move into a home that is under $290k? Well, first of all it's impossible to know what the market will do in the next two years.

I do hear that Chandler and Gilbert are nice for families, but so is Peoria, Glendale, Scottsdale, Surprise, and probably all the rest of the suburbs. It's all about what feels right for you and the only way to know that is to come out and explore. However, Scottsdale is way too expensive for your range.

We may not get snow (well, once in a blue moon) but it does get chilly here in the winter (so, no, you can't wear summer clothes all year around). And it's gets VERY HOT. What is the hottest you have experienced for more than a day or two?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 PM

615 posts, read 1,374,743 times
Red face Phoenix suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
Hey everyone! SO... the hubby and I thought we had a final decision on Salt Lake city for our big move back to the U.S. However... my husband has recently been expressing that he can't stand the sight of snow, and isn't sure he would handle the winters there. SO.... I just wanted to enquire about the best Phoenix suburb? My husband says he would want to live in Scottsdale, or Mesa. I have heard Chandler or Gilbert are good for young families. We will be renting an apartment for two years while we save for a house, and we would ideally like to rent in the same/similar area of a city that we will eventually buy in.

So what is a good area for a young growing family? We want to get into a good starter home, 3-4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. We don't want to pay over 290,000, and we would like to live in a safe area. We don't mind an older neighborhood, as long as it's a safe one!!
Scottsdale is considered the upscale suburb of the Phoenix area while Mesa is considered to be the Phoenix area's most affordable suburb. It is correct that Chandler and Gilbert are good for young families. You might also want to consider Ahwatukee, while technically not a suburb because it is part of Phoenix, has a suburban character and is separated from the rest of Phoenix by South Mountain Park. If you want to be close to hiking and mountain biking, then Ahwatukee is a good place to consider.

I live in Tempe and I would recommend that you avoid Tempe unless you are a college student. Tempe is getting overcrowded and overpriced. The only new housing in Tempe is condos and apartments, which will further exacerbate the high population density in Tempe. Fortunately I bought my Tempe home about five years ago and the price has appreciated, but I plan to sell the house when I get into a better employment situation.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:34 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,649 times
I got a 3 bedroom/ 2 baths (1500 sq ft) on a premium lot (large lot and on a cul-de-sac) for $210000 in Surprise. Kingswood Parke Sub.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
So your going to rent an apt for two years, and then move into a home that is under $290k? Well, first of all it's impossible to know what the market will do in the next two years.

I do hear that Chandler and Gilbert are nice for families, but so is Peoria, Glendale, Scottsdale, Surprise, and probably all the rest of the suburbs. It's all about what feels right for you and the only way to know that is to come out and explore. However, Scottsdale is way too expensive for your range.

We may not get snow (well, once in a blue moon) but it does get chilly here in the winter (so, no, you can't wear summer clothes all year around). And it's gets VERY HOT. What is the hottest you have experienced for more than a day or two?
Ya, I know real estate... and I know it's a buyers market right now in AZ. I guess I just want to know where the cheapest houses are, in the safest parts of different suburbs, what cities seem to have good starter homes for decent prices. Where are many young families starting out, you know?

Sorry, but AZ isn't cold compared to many places I have lived. If its 70 degrees, I wear shorts. Cold to me, is below 50 degrees. I know winter nights can be a bit chilly, but nothing compared to what I live in now. I have been to AZ, and I know how hot it gets during the summer. It's pretty crazy! I haven't been to specific cities in a long time, so I don't know how things have changed in the past 10 years, so I guess I am just looking for opinions, and then when we get out there, we will look around in the highly recommended areas.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
It gets colder than 70 during the winter! We had some cold days in the 40's, for several days at a time. At night it gets in the 30's or below.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
There is no real distinction between Phoenix and "the suburbs"; the vast majority of Phoenix IS a suburb-- of itself. There is not really an inner "city" of Phoenix; there is a small downtown, and a handful of early 20th century neighbhoods-- which are really just early suburbs; the rest of Phoenix is built in the same 1950s-present day car-centered fashion as "the suburbs." Actually, some of the suburbs, like Tempe and Scottsdale, are more urban than Phoenix itself. Some of these areas that were as suburban as can be when built in the 1950s are now ghettoes-- like West Phoenix. The city of Phoenix goes as far south as Pecos Rd in Ahwahtukee, and far north beyond the 101, west to 99th ave in places, and east to Scottsdale Rd (a lot of what people think is Scottsdale is actually North Phoenix). Rather than worry about which municipality you live in, zoom in on a particular part of town. For example, you mentioned Mesa and Scottsdale. Most of Mesa is a dump, only the far eastern part is nice. Scottsdale is nice overall, but south Scottsdale is anything but upscale. Don't rule out the city of Phoenix as a whole; north Phoenix for example is newer and nicer and most of Mesa.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:16 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,420 times
Hey Calibelle! Glad you're considering AZ. Scottsdale is nice, but I don't know how much you'll find within your price range. I don't recommend Mesa for your family. Yes, Gilbert is nice for young families. Most areas of Chandler are nice, but not all. I don't know where your work will be, but you might want to consider over here in Surprise, Litchfield Park, or Happy Valley. You'll get more for your money. If it were up to me, I'd choose between Gilbert, Scottsdale, and Surprise.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:42 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,355 times
I always recommend Chandler and Gilbert as nice, safe, family friendly places. If you do a search for Gilbert, you'll find many posts from me and a few others who've mentioned Gilbert, along with specific subdivisions mentioned too. The west valley has good areas too, but I live in the east valley so I can't speak to specifics for the west valley.

There are cheaper options too - Queen Creek, Casa Grande and Maricopa are a few east valley options. They're a lot further from Phoenix though, and I wouldn't really recommend them if you have to commute downtown. Do you know where you'll be working? I'd start from there, then try to find a place to live. You have options - just depends on your commute.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
It gets colder than 70 during the winter! We had some cold days in the 40's, for several days at a time. At night it gets in the 30's or below.
Okay, good to know. It's the same in southern cali where I am from, it can get chillier. But it's nice to know that during the winter... there are some days where it is warm enough to dress down... as opposed to freezing snow for 5-6 months, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area