Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,906 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that I recognize how hot it gets in Phoenix, but would like to enjoy the cooler months by getting outside. We are coming from an area with walking and bike trails and would like to find someplace similar here. Hitting the jackpot would be being able to safely walk directly from my house to grocery stores etc, walking for exercise, and possibly some restaurants. We have one middle-schooler, but do not want to return to an isolated suburban neighborhood like the one we have been in. Commuting relatively easily to the middle of downtown is a must. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 06:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
I live in N Scottsdale and my neighborhood has trails running through it. In addition, I can walk to access the mountain trail network. I'm walking distance to a grocery store and several bars and restaurants. It is very suburban though. What's your budget and where will you be working?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,906 times
My husband will-very literally-be working in the middle of downtown. Looking for areas with housing under 300,000. We would probably rent to get a feel for everything before buying.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM

Renting first is a good call. I can't think of any neighborhood with housing under $300k that's within a short commute to downtown and that's walking distance to trails. Maybe someone else will have some better news.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:30 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,515 times
The Scottsdale Greenbelt seems perfect for you. If you look at Scottsdale on Google Maps it is the long green swath from approximately Curry & Miller (it begins in North Tempe) up to the Gainey Ranch area (Indian Bend & Hayden). There are continuous trails for walking and biking, golfing, frisbee golf, a skatepark, a dog park, sports fields, etc. Just depends what part of the greenbelt you live on.

As far as which areas along the greenbelt to focus on:

-there is a Safeway (grocer) at Chaparral and Hayden, right next to the southern end of Chaparral Park (dog park, sports fields, and lakes)
-there is a Bashas' (grocer) at McDonald & Granite Reef, next to the northern end of Chaparral Park
-there is a Fry's at Indian School and Miller, and you would be close to Old Town and all the restaurants & the canal path for biking + a golf course
-there is a Fry's (grocer) at McDowell and 77th, near frisbee golf and the skatepark

That last option would leave you with lots of housing options since the south end of Scottsdale is more affordable, but none are in super expensive areas.

There is a page about the greenbelt on the city website: Indian Bend Wash Greenbelt

Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,969 times
Yes, the Scottsdale Greenbelt is a great choice, or also near Papago Park in Tempe/Scottsdale.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 PM

872 posts, read 999,367 times
Greenbelt is really pretty
I need to save $$ and get me a bike so I can go to the Mcdowell trails and Pinnacle Peak too, they are close to me

Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
If you want to be urban pioneers try some of the neighborhoods around Sunnyslope. You have Squaw Peak on the east side and North Mountain/Shaw Butte on the west side of the general neighborhood boundaries. It's amazing that there are 100's of miles of trails smack dab in the center of town. Look up Phoenix Mountain Preserve on Google maps to see the area I'm talking about. Used to live in the area and I was 5 minutes from trails and 20 minutes away from downtown.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 AM

107 posts, read 201,702 times
Phht Scottsdale has nothing.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/095100.pdf

I walk out my door and down the street to the trails. At worst I drive to the other end (5 minutes ) and start there.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post
Phht Scottsdale has nothing.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/095100.pdf

I walk out my door and down the street to the trails. At worst I drive to the other end (5 minutes ) and start there.
There are plenty of neighborhoods in Scottsdale where you can walk out your door and be on the McDowell Sonoran Preserve's vast trail network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area