Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 41,841 times

Advertisements

We're new to Arizona and don't have a realtor yet. We like Gilbert and Chandler for a few reasons -- closeness to family, shopping, schools, etc. We HAVE NO IDEA where to begin looking though, wanted to post the following question:

If you were looking for a $350k home in Gilbert or Chandler, which would be your top three neighborhood picks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 PM

25 posts, read 66,727 times
I'd start looking in Scottsdale, or North Phoenix!

Sorry, didn't mean to distract your post, but noticed you had no replies. Seriously, for me the northern part of the metro is the place to be. I'm not familiar enough with the Southern burbs.

You might want to consider parts of Tempe too, it's also close to everything.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times
I would NOT move to the east valley if you have that kind of money to spend on a house. Most of Gilbert is a dump, and Chandler just sucks you're too far from everything.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 AM

19 posts, read 50,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentCrandall View Post
We're new to Arizona and don't have a realtor yet. We like Gilbert and Chandler for a few reasons -- closeness to family, shopping, schools, etc. We HAVE NO IDEA where to begin looking though, wanted to post the following question:

If you were looking for a $350k home in Gilbert or Chandler, which would be your top three neighborhood picks?
Where will "we" be working? That will play a big part in the neighborhoods (and general locations) you should be looking at. Unlike many other places in the US, distance from work is a huge determinant of where people choose to live -- if they have a choice.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:26 AM

181 posts, read 696,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I would NOT move to the east valley if you have that kind of money to spend on a house. Most of Gilbert is a dump, and Chandler just sucks you're too far from everything.
I know the area well. West Gilbert and most part of Chandler are good.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM

162 posts, read 543,028 times
Quote:

like others here have said, be prepared to be far away from the "core" of activity and entertainment, (sporting events, concerts, cultural events, museums, art galleries, ect...) if you live out in Gilbert/Chandler.

The ol' saying, "you get what you pay for" def. comes into play with regard to location of house and distance to "core" development. Further away from downtown phx/tempe, the cheaper the housing.

Here's an example:

We were just looking at houses last Dec. My wife works near downtown PHX and I work in the Biltmore area. We really loved Ahwatukee and started looking at houses there. We ended up buying a house there, 2200 sf, 30k gal pool, 9k sf lot, 3 BR, 2 BA, den, built in 1987; commute time to our work in downtown phx/biltmore = 25-30 mins. Total Price 247K

That same exact house, built in 2006-2008, (basically brand new) and never lived in, located around Gilbert rd and S of the 202 would have been less than 200K

Why you ask:

Because the commute to downtown phoenix is prob. close to 45mins-1hr from Gilbert Rd and S of 202.

Having masters in Geography, I'm a firm believer in "Location, Location, Location." You can always fix up the house, but you can never change its location.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,482 times
$350,000 is a starting point, but how big of a home do you need? Do you want a pool? What age of home? Do you want to be by certain schools, churches, freeways? HOA or no HOA? After factoring in all these variables, then one can better determine the top neighborhoods that meet your criteria. You'll surely have several choices.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Oh, please. Gilbert is not a dump, and there are some beautiful neighborhoods in west Chandler that are near freeways and NOT too far from everything.

And, the OP is looking at the SE Valley for such factors as closeness to family and schools. Gilbert, Chandler are fine there.

South Tempe would also be an option... some really nice areas with homes in that price range, excellent schools, easy trip to whereever your family is on the east side.

To the OP-- you really need to come take a look for yourselves. It's diffficult to name specific neighborhoods, as there are several of them.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:04 PM

9 posts, read 41,841 times
"And, the OP is looking at the SE Valley for such factors as closeness to family and schools. Gilbert, Chandler are fine there."

True. My wife wants to live near her sisters -- one's in Mesa, the other in Queen Creek. Gilbert and Chandler seemed like good solutions given that parameter. Also, we're looking for a newer home in a low-crime area with good schools and decent access to shopping and freeways.

Thanks for your responses everyone. Very helpful!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:05 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,183 times
Quote:

Val Vista Lakes, Higley Groves, Agritopia but I will sell you my house ny San Tan Village. It's a beautiful home 5 bedroom 3.5 baths, huge pool and spa. I know no advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area