Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM

77 posts, read 440,582 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm considering buying property in AZ.

Where are some of the Nicest Neighborhoods in that area?
Over here, in the L.A. area of Southern California. There are very few nice areas- And then of those few, they are like little islands of nice neighborhoods surrounded by a sea of Bad Neighborhoods.

So if you can tell me about the nice neighborhoods that are nice for miles & miles? far away from the bad stuff. I don't want to buy a place, that's like 5 minutes from a bad place. I want to get a place that's just surrounded by nice neighborhoods & nice neighbors.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Well, I think you wouldn't want Phoenix then. You can go 1/2 mile from a nice area and be in a very bad area. Nice areas abound, but they would be too difficult to outline without following along with a detailed street map. It is impossible to generalize whole suburbs as nice so the same goes for them: pockets of nice areas would need to be explained in detail. In order for someone to help you with any practicality, you'd need to decide on a particular city, suburb or general area of the Valley and let someone familiar with that area chime in. You also need to define 'nice' with specifics but my intuition tells me it's going to be a function of your religion based on your profile name.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
There are very nice areas all over. Scottsdale, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Mesa, Avondale, Goodyear, Buckeye, Litchfield Park, Surprise, Peoria, Glendale, and City of Phoenix all have nice areas. I know I left several cities off the list (that was just quickly off the top of my head) that have very nice neighborhoods, too.
I think you need to come out here and check things out for yourself.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,844,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
Over here, in the L.A. area of Southern California. There are very few nice areas- And then of those few, they are like little islands of nice neighborhoods surrounded by a sea of Bad Neighborhoods.
Beverly Hills is surrounded by bad neighborhoods? Palso Verdes is surrounded by bad neighborhoods? Manhattan Beach is surrounded by bad neighborhoods? Bel Air is surrounded by bad neighborhoods? Calabasas is surrounded by bad neighborhoods?

Just sayin...

Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
You need to come over here and spend some time looking for YOURSELF, instead of asking the same sort of broad, open-ended questions over and over again on this forum.

I do think mhouse overstates the point by saying that you can routinely go 1/2 mile from "nice" to "very bad", but that's their opinion, nothing more.

And, I agree that you are overstating your issue with Southern California. "Very few" nice areas in the LA area of Southern California? Ridiculous. I'm really beginning to think that you want some sort of Pleasantville utopia where everything is beautiful and everyone is pleasant for miles around. You are NOT going to find it, although there are some very nice areas here. We can't say anything about what your neighbors will be like - there are friendly and not so friendly people in any neighborhood, ANYWHERE.

You need to be WAY more realistic, and come look around and see, it's not that far from where you are now. Then, if the Valley doesn't meet your (hopefully adjusted by then) expectations, and you can't find what you want within whatever your budget is (which you don't indicate) you can cross it off your list and move on.

Last edited by observer53; 02-04-2011 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Beverly Hills is surrounded by bad neighborhoods? Palso Verdes is surrounded by bad neighborhoods? Manhattan Beach is surrounded by bad neighborhoods? Bel Air is surrounded by bad neighborhoods? Calabasas is surrounded by bad neighborhoods?

Just sayin...

haha Yes they are man..

I live really close to Palos Verdes & Manhattan Beach.

Check it bro, Palos Verdes I mean, that's a Million Dollar Minimum neighborhood. They have 20 Million dollar homes there. And! and! it's just like a 10 minute drive from serious Ghetto dude. Compton, you can get from Compton to PV in like 25 minutes. But right there PCH & say.. Crenshaw super close to PV & bad neighborhood. Manhattan Beach, the people that go there regularly- a lot of them live in bad nieghborhoods & go there for fun. And, it's seriously 10 minutes from Hawthorne, Lawndale, Inglewood etc..

Just sayin..

Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Observer, sorry if me asking questions bugs you.

I sort of thought people looking at areas- went to this site for info.
If I do check out AZ, I won't be checking it out for a little while- I'm busy doing stuff down here for now. So I thought I'd ask you all Locals & natives these questions I had.

And you'd be surprised, I mean when I asked cleveland what the people are like there- just about Everyone writes back saying "The Nicest people I've ever met were in Cleveleland" Salt of the earth etc... so yeah I do know that areas do exist that have these Great neighbors in them.

Was wondering if there was a place like that out there in the Phoenix area.
So far, I've read the opposite more then anything. And I know it exists- look California has the Exact kind of places I'm looking for like Areas on Orange County are nice for miles & miles, Nice people- well Kids are raised right & have mannors, & just wow! You'd be surprised. just everyone waves & says hello. Like in most urban parts of L.A. you get these pretty "Me first mentality" folks. kids & adults.

But go to Palos Verdes, walk anywhere in Palos Verdes- it's like Mandatory to waive & say Hi to the people you are passing by- and if you don't. That's just really unusual. And you are obviously not from there.

There is a Pleasent Ville, all over O.C. is my Pleasent ville bro. BUT! it's on that falt line.
Was looking if there were places like O.C. anywhere else.

And I ask about the crime, cause out here- we have like these places that are rural & cheap to live- big beautiful homes for like super cheap. Here where I"m at, the cheapest home is around $300,000 and thats only cause the market is the way it is. Before it was $500,000.

These rural parts 100 miles away from the Coast- have homes like $200,000 big nice ones w/a pool etc.. But I've been there a handful of times. And I just ask people what it's like. I asked the girl at Target about the area- asked if they had drug problems out there. She's like 22 years old. She goes Ooooh heck yeah! Everyone! is on Speed. Tweekers everywhere. Instead of Beer & weed at party's its like Beer & meth. etc..

So that is why I ask.

These are not "Ridiculous questions." They are realistic.
They are totally Legitimate for someone like me- wanting to find a nice place for my family & I to live & raise the kids.

I'm sorry if I sound upset, I'm not- just explaining myself.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Also, if I were to ask these questions to say... the Orange County Forum.. you'd be surprised in the feedback I got.

they'd say "Orange County is the place you are looking for!" Irvine.. ranked like #5 in the most safest places in USA. etc.. etc.. etc.. Beautiful Suburbs for miles & miles...

They'd tell me how they've lived there for years, grown up there & haven't seen any bad parts, any crime. they'd tell me oh yeah, Santa ana.. It has it's bad parts.. etc...

They wouldn't tell me the place doesn't exist, cause it does.

I want to find one that isn't in California. that's all.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
christianguitarist27,
I think the problem is Phoenix metro is very large... not quite L.A. basin large, but much larger than Cleveland metro. So broad, open-ended questions can be difficult to answer.
If I were to go to the L.A. forum and ask: what are the nice neighborhoods and what are the bad neighborhoods in southern California? There is no way that, even with 20 responses, I could get a comprehensive list of the "best" and "worst" areas.
It's the same thing here. You will not get a comprehensive list of the "best" and "worst" parts of Phoenix.
Now if wanted to ask what are the "best" and "worst" neighborhoods of Scottsdale, or Glendale, or where ever, you've got a better shot at getting the information you are after, because the scope of the question is a lot less daunting.
I mean, think about if the same question was being asked of you, and how difficult it would be to give an accurate and comprehensive response. That's what you are asking of us.
If you are offended, I'm sorry. I just about daily offer information and advice on this forum, but sometimes questions are hard to answer, and I don't have the time to offer lengthly dissertations.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,844,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
haha Yes they are man..

I live really close to Palos Verdes & Manhattan Beach.

Check it bro, Palos Verdes I mean, that's a Million Dollar Minimum neighborhood. They have 20 Million dollar homes there. And! and! it's just like a 10 minute drive from serious Ghetto dude. Compton, you can get from Compton to PV in like 25 minutes. But right there PCH & say.. Crenshaw super close to PV & bad neighborhood. Manhattan Beach, the people that go there regularly- a lot of them live in bad nieghborhoods & go there for fun. And, it's seriously 10 minutes from Hawthorne, Lawndale, Inglewood etc..

Just sayin..
Name one city where you can't drive from a good neighborhood to a bad neighborhood in 25 mintues? My point is, as Observer stated above, you will never find the utopia your are seeking. No city is 100% nice 100% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area