Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 AM

20 posts, read 28,684 times

Advertisements

I will be coming to az in febuary with some friend to chick out some property. We are looking at Chandler and Gilbert. I would like to no of the areas that have no hoa's. I have read some post that some of the hoa's are real stroked on some of their rules any insight is appreciated.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Both chandler and Gilbert are great areas. I'm not sure what you mean by "stroked" but I'll give you my thoughts on HOA's in this area.

As far as i know, The huge majority of homes that have been built in Chandler and Gilbert since 1990 are in HOA communities. In my opinion, the obvious good far outweighs the potential bad.

Take a drive around both cities. Spot a few blocks where the properties look run down and unkempt? See a RV rusting In the driveway or side yard of a house? I'd bet you are looking at non-HOA homes.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 AM

221 posts, read 598,013 times
I won't pass judgment either way: HOA's can be good or bad for the individual. Someone who has a collection of Ford Mavericks they are working on restoring someday probably has a great excuse for avoiding HOA communities. But yeah, you probably want to avoid the newer subdivisions and look for houses facing major streets.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
There are very few areas in Chandler and Gilbert that don't have HOA's, although they do exist.

The best way to do the search you need is to have your Realtor set up a search that meets all your other criteria, and in addition to filter out HOA's.

That makes it quick and simple.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 AM

116 posts, read 227,926 times
I know of people in many other cities and suburban townships/villages. If you are in a fairly well to do our upper income middle class area with high taxes one can live in a good neighborhood and not worry about someone letting their property run down or parking rusted out cars in the yard. People do not want to see their property run down and if they do the town or village can intervene.

In other areas that are more transient and subject to newer home owners HOA's makes a lot of sense. People who have them and who are not in distress about them, simply are very careful to learn the rules and follow them.

Like many other things advantages and disadvantages.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 AM

Sorry I meant stricked on rules

Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeauto1 View Post
Sorry I meant stricked on rules
Everyone's opinion on "strict rules" is different. How about giving us some examples of HOA rules that you would find unacceptable. Then, we can either suggest that you don't consider a home in a HOA, or tell you that few HOA have that particular rule you don't like. Or, maybe those of us who like HOA's can explain why the rule exists and its value to the community.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Ok I was reading some post that eople were complaining to the hoa that a homeowner did not weed his lawn and complained to the hoa. Just nervous about the peeping toms I hues u could call it. Another was some having a dish on the fence for tv satellite. Don't know if I am looking to much into it. We are not messy people by any means.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 AM

the Internet abbreviations and mis-spellings make it a bit difficult for me to understand what you are saying, but I'll give it a shot.

Not weeding or cutting the grass? I'd report it to the HOA, too. Why do I want my neighbors house and my community to look unkempt or abandoned? This is one situation where an HOA is very helpful, IMO.

Yes, there are often rules about satellite dishes. Again, why should you be allowed to block or ruin your neighbors view? That said, I've not known many cases where this has really been a problem - and most people put the things on their roofs not the shared walls.

Peeping toms? Umm, you can get them in any neighborhood.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeauto1 View Post
Ok I was reading some post that eople were complaining to the hoa that a homeowner did not weed his lawn and complained to the hoa. Just nervous about the peeping toms I hues u could call it. Another was some having a dish on the fence for tv satellite. Don't know if I am looking to much into it. We are not messy people by any means.
You have the opportunity to obtain the CC&R's of the HOA prior to buying a home. If the covenants in there are too restrictive, then choose another area.

However most of them will be very close. Maintaining the front lawn and house exterior is common.

A paint pallet in most HOA's is also common. They will have a wide variety of paint colors to keep with the community theme.

Some will allow front yards to be grass or desert landscape. A few communities will only allow grass in front because they want a lush green theme for the community instead of desert theme.

Most will not allow RV's parked in the yard, or anything that is over the 6 foot fence height.

You'll read on here that people have been violated for having "one" weed in their yard. That's just gross exaggeration.

Unless you are a person who feels that rules are made for others and not you, so that you will park your RV, let your weeds grow, paint your house bright red, if you want to, then you will not have any problems in an HOA.

If you need to store an RV, or if you need to have horses, then you'll need to find an HOA in a horse community, or larger lots that allow RV's.

Some high end communities with larger lots will allow RV's provided they have a type of screen around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area