Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times

Advertisements

Can you legally ride your bike down a busy street in Phoenix/Scottsdale?

There is this group of guys who ride down Camelback in the mornings, they ride in the right lane, but no where near the curb, you cannot pass them without going into the other lane, they are endangering themselves and other drivers.

Can they legally do this without a bike lane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:15 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times
Yes, it's legal. It's only dangerous if drivers don't pay attention, pass recklessly, or if the cyclists ride more than two abreast - though on a busy road, single file should be the norm.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:07 PM

220 posts, read 648,779 times
Yes its legal but they have to obey the traffic laws as if they were a car.

The ones that drive me insane are the ones that pick and choose which laws they want to obey and which they don't. You are either a bike or a car- pick one and stick with it!!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 PM

41 posts, read 131,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
There is this group of guys who ride down Camelback in the mornings, they ride in the right lane, but no where near the curb, you cannot pass them without going into the other lane, they are endangering themselves and other drivers.
That statement just terrifies me. Treat cyclists like a car - you wouldn't pass a car in the same lane. There are people who try to pass cyclists all the time without moving to a new lane. It's extremely dangerous.

I don't know the exact laws in the Phoenix area, but in general cyclists are treated like regular vehicles - they follow the same rules and guidelines. Unfortunately, a lot of drivers don't treat them as a car...that's when serious accidents can occur.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:04 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinolux View Post
That statement just terrifies me. Treat cyclists like a car - you wouldn't pass a car in the same lane. There are people who try to pass cyclists all the time without moving to a new lane. It's extremely dangerous.

I don't know the exact laws in the Phoenix area, but in general cyclists are treated like regular vehicles - they follow the same rules and guidelines. Unfortunately, a lot of drivers don't treat them as a car...that's when serious accidents can occur.
Why should I have to slow down to 10-15mph just so some dude in spandex shorts can ride in my lane?

If they want to be treated like a car, then they need to go the same speed and follow the same laws. If not, and they get hit, that's their problem.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
I wouldn't ride in Phoenix. It's just a death sentence. We are car dominated here. I don't know anyone that bikes in city, they know the deal..........*o*

Old 06-13-2009, 08:48 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Why should I have to slow down to 10-15mph just so some dude in spandex shorts can ride in my lane?

If they want to be treated like a car, then they need to go the same speed and follow the same laws. If not, and they get hit, that's their problem.
Righteous indignation aside, the law disagrees. They're entitled to the same roadway even at their speed of travel (in other words, they are following the same laws). It's your legal responsibility to slow down and pass safely.

If drivers pay attention, then it's no more than 10 seconds of inconvenience.

Last edited by Robert A; 06-13-2009 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-13-2009, 11:31 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
bah - if they aren't able to travel a safe speed they shouldn't be in a busy street ....... at times you have to take responsibility for putting yourself in a stupid and dangerous situation

if I had a busted down jallopy that only went 15 mph I wonder how long I could cruise around town before getting pulled over for having an unsafe vehicle - even if the only problem with it was the maximum speed

personally i'd do what I would do to a slow car ........ blast them with my horn and then pass

Old 06-13-2009, 12:48 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
LOL, you guys are @sses. I mean that. People ride their bikes in the right lane down Central Ave. all the time. No one honks at them or passes them dangerously because it is illegal to do so. Once again, driving is a privilege that we share with one another. Riding a bike (considered a "motorized vehicle") has the same right of way as a car, actually more, just like a pedestrian. You can't hit a pedestrian because he isn't crossing legally, as pedestrians ALWAYS have the right-of-way. The burden and privilege of driving a heavy projectile also comes the responsibility to ensure your safety and safety for others; especially those that are more vulnerable to injury from your vehicle.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:46 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
it is not illegal to blow your horn at someone

driving is a priviledge

so is riding your bike on the roads

they must obey the rules of the road

it's not a one way street

once again - try riding around in your car going nothing but 15 mph for a week and see how long it takes before a friendly officer comes and have a chat (if you don't get ran over first)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area