Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:40 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,297,190 times

Advertisements

find it then - it's so easy and obvious

i also doubt that a single honk would rate high enough to violate any municipalities noise ordinance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,608,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

i also doubt that a single honk would rate high enough to violate any municipalities noise ordinance
I know what the statute on horns says. One could have a perfectly legal reason for honking a horn at a cyclist (as with any other vehicle), under that statute. It isn't always illegal to "blow a horn behind a bicyclist" -- but it does have to be "reasonably necessary for the safe operation of a vehicle" and not just because you are ticked off.

Last edited by observer53; 06-15-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,051,209 times
Quote:

True, a single honk wouldn't, but blaring your horn behind a bicyclist is, just deal with it. Like I said, call your local PD, they will set you straight. Here, I'll give you the number: (602) 262-7626

And another: Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Coordinator at (602) 495-2462.

Fine here, this is just one law that limits use of your car horn, there are more that include following a bicyclist to closely and using of your horn to "intimidate the operator of a bicycle:"

Sec. 23-14. Enumeration of loud, disturbing and unnecessary noises; enumeration not exclusive.

The following acts, among others, are declared to be loud, disturbing and unnecessary noises and noises in violation of this article, but this enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive, namely:

(a) Blowing horns or signaling devices. The sounding or blowing of any horn or signal device on any automobile, truck, bus, motorcycle or other vehicle while not in motion, except as a danger signal if another vehicle is approaching, apparently out of control, or if in motion only as a danger signal after or as brakes are being applied and deceleration of the vehicle is intended; the creation by means of any such signal device of any unreasonably loud or harsh sound; and the sounding of such device for any unnecessary and unreasonable period of time.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
(a) Blowing horns or signaling devices. The sounding or blowing of any horn or signal device on any automobile, truck, bus, motorcycle or other vehicle while not in motion, except as a danger signal if another vehicle is approaching, apparently out of control, or if in motion only as a danger signal after or as brakes are being applied and deceleration of the vehicle is intended; the creation by means of any such signal device of any unreasonably loud or harsh sound; and the sounding of such device for any unnecessary and unreasonable period of time.
try again

if you want, there is one earlier in the thread about being on the highway - but once again, that's on the highway

Old 06-15-2009, 02:20 PM

When a semi colon is used ";" in a paragraph, that means the following things on a list are other violations:

1.The sounding or blowing of any horn or signal device on any automobile, truck, bus, motorcycle or other vehicle while not in motion, except as a danger signal if another vehicle is approaching, apparently out of control, or if in motion only as a danger signal after or as brakes are being applied and deceleration of the vehicle is intended

2.the creation by means of any such signal device of any unreasonably loud or harsh sound

3.and the sounding of such device for any unnecessary and unreasonable period of time

I called the safety coordinator and was given this information. So sorry that you have a hard time understanding the law. And as for the OP's question, yes bicyclist can ride in the road without a bike a lane. There are rules they must follow also. But say they want to make a left hand turn at a light or stop sign, then they have the right to be in a turning lane or middle of the road to make the turn. Although many sites advise slower riders and less experienced riders to use crosswalks by walking the bike across.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:24 PM

yeah - good luck on that

unecessary and unreasonable would not apply - I could make a common man arguement that would be very hard to go against in court

and once again unreasonably loud or harsh - if it was unreasonably loud or harsh it wouldn't be built stock into my car

so the only one that could possibly apply is the 1st one which doesn't have a bunch of vague qualifiers, but that obviously wouldn't apply either

so try again

Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
yeah - good luck on that

unecessary and unreasonable would not apply - I could make a common man arguement that would be very hard to go against in court

and once again unreasonably loud or harsh - if it was unreasonably loud or harsh it wouldn't be built stock into my car

so the only one that could possibly apply is the 1st one which doesn't have a bunch of vague qualifiers, but that obviously wouldn't apply either

so try again
LOL, you are so stubborn and obviously ill spirited. Harshly honking your horn at someone on a bike is not a common man argument. I doubt a judge would feel sorry for you if you were caught doing this!!! Unnecessary and unreasonable WOULD apply because it is unnecessary to honk at a bicyclist using the road way in a reasonable manner. It IS unreasonable to follow behind a bicyclist and honk your horn at them for doing nothing wrong. Stick with your day job, you would make a horrible attorney.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 PM

nope - it's so vague it would be impossible to prove

especially since I could point out that by riding in the middle of the lane they were not following their point of the obligation and I was just letting them know I was there in case they tried to get left ..... i didn't see any mirrors on their bikes and they obviously weren't aware of their surroundings, if they were they'd follow the law and get right

Old 06-15-2009, 02:34 PM

You are walking around the point of this discussion and are arguing semantics. Let me remind you of what you said:

Quote:
bah - if they aren't able to travel a safe speed they shouldn't be in a busy street ....... at times you have to take responsibility for putting yourself in a stupid and dangerous situation

if I had a busted down jallopy that only went 15 mph I wonder how long I could cruise around town before getting pulled over for having an unsafe vehicle - even if the only problem with it was the maximum speed

personally i'd do what I would do to a slow car ........ blast them with my horn and then pass
"Blast them with my horn and then pass." If a cop witnessed and heard you doing this, it wouldn't be hard to prove.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM

yeah -

hit them with my horn, let them know i'm there and then go around

blast is a quick burst

i didn't say lay on my horn for 30 seconds, get on their back wheels and pass as closely as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area